PDA

View Full Version : Starting to panic!

Rpalt1
02-07-2014, 07:37 PM
I have had my sun coral for two weeks now and it still will not open! I've used the same foods and methods the previous owner did and still nothing. It doesnt look like its dying but im getting concerned. Last week i moved it to see if it would make a difference and no luck. I had it in a cave opening with low flow and partial lighting then move it to the middle on the bottom. 3 or 4 of the tiniest polyps open when i feed but thats it. It has 20 to 30 polyps and im afraid if i cant get food into it it will die. any suggestions? I don't want to lose this piece:cryin:

jimsflies
02-07-2014, 08:06 PM
If its not, try placing it in lower light (cave with good flow) and try to feed in the dim part of the light cycle.

Tom@HaslettMI
02-07-2014, 08:42 PM
Try feeding it outside of the tank. Put it in a container while still in the tank and remove the container and coral from the tank. Then squirt some of the food into the container and let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes. Feed any/all polyps that open. Do this every night or every other night and more and more polyps will start to open.

The great thing about this method is that your fish, shrimp, ect can't steal the food and you can remove the uneaten food from the container prior to putting the coral back.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Tom

MizTanks
02-07-2014, 09:02 PM
I got my 7+ head of Sun Coral for $7 because the LFS said it wasn't opening-lol. Their loss!! Wait about 15 minutes after ALL the lights go out. Mine hates ANY kind of light, opens only in the dark or sometimes when the moon LED's are on. Even then I have it under an overhang. Seems to like good flow too.
I use a small red LED flash light to see and feed it :)

Rpalt1
02-07-2014, 10:35 PM
thks all ill let you know what happens