PDA

View Full Version : just noticed this a few days ago

lReef lKeeper
07-05-2006, 08:40 PM
i just noticed this a few days ago, and i can not find it in ANY of my books. does anyone know what it is ?? i am talking about the green thing.

notice the growth on my monti. cap.

BTW ... i know about the aptasia ... it should be under more control in the next few days !!

PurpleAardvark
07-05-2006, 09:03 PM
It is a type of algea. They spred like crazy if you have a fuge put it in there were it will help the most and do the least amount of harm.

lReef lKeeper
07-05-2006, 09:10 PM
thanx Don, but what type of algae is it ??
i think my monti. cap. got ahold of one of them cuz it was all white and dead looking tonight, so i sucked it up into a baster and shot it down the sink. is there a good way to remove it ??

Whoyah
07-05-2006, 11:20 PM
I believe it is some sort of calcuim based algae. I had few. The base turns white and kind of flakes off. I have no ideas on a name.

dakar
07-06-2006, 08:43 AM
Another member had a TON of it on his LR.... I struggled trying to figure out exactly what it was (besides the calcerous algae part) and came up blank. It was really pretty cool looking though. Didn't seem to hurt anything and since it's a macro of sorts and grows, that means it consumes nutrients, so in IMO that makes it beneficial for your system as long as it 's harmless and doesn't become troublesome.

PurpleAardvark
07-06-2006, 04:56 PM
I am suffering from CRS when it comes to the name of the algea. It is a calcium based, the problem with it is it will grow anywhere. That means if it gets on our monti it will grow there and kill it. In the fuge however it is helpful and will take out the junk from your tank like normal algea and some cal. as well.

lReef lKeeper
07-06-2006, 08:29 PM
well tonight it is getting moved to the sump. i say IT because there is only one of them left, the other just turned white and died off (as you can see in the pic). but thanx for the info.

peregrinus
07-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Neomeris annulata

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/algae.html

Whoyah
07-07-2006, 01:33 PM
Nice find Eric. Thanks for the link and name.

lReef lKeeper
07-07-2006, 09:15 PM
thanx a lot, peregrinus. i have been looking for that info for a long time. good looking out man.

peregrinus
07-07-2006, 10:27 PM
I have some in my tank they seem like they are fine not growing to fast or anything. just kind of cool to look at. if you like algae in your tank.

lReef lKeeper
07-08-2006, 07:45 AM
i agree, they are kinda cool to look at. i didnt know it was algae til the other day. there were only two stalks of it so its not going wild or anythng but if me tangs wont eat it... its going to the sump. i have all kinds of cool things to look at, not just a wierd algae form.