PDA

View Full Version : just wondering if this looks like normal feeding for this coral

lReef lKeeper
07-13-2006, 06:55 PM
just wondering if this looks like normal feeding for this coral ... note the white and VERY thin tentacles coming from the ridges.

all help is appreciated !!

Reptoreef
07-13-2006, 10:21 PM
yep... a common feeding response from alot of different sps. I believe it's called mioessentrial strands(sp.?).

lReef lKeeper
07-14-2006, 05:02 PM
sweet !! now i know it is doing well enough to frag for the ones who want some of it.

RWalston
07-14-2006, 05:54 PM
It might also be a defensive response. How close is it to other corals? If you notice in the picture it is only extending the sweeping tentacles were it is next to another coral. I would watch out for some stinging IMO.

Reptoreef
07-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Really good point.

lReef lKeeper
07-15-2006, 11:18 AM
yeah i thought of that but if you look really close ... you can see the tentacles on all sides, just not as many on the left side. they were all over the back side of the coral and some on the left side, but kinda hard to see in the pic.

davejnz
07-22-2006, 01:16 AM
Repto called it out,they're called messenterial filaments.These are expelled by a coral for many reasons.It can be a response to food,aggresion/defense,or stress.Since Pachyseris spp. are nearly autotrophic relying on photosynthesis for most of its nutrition.My guess is that it was an aggresive/defensive response or stress induced.