PDA

View Full Version : Id Please

wpspfan
09-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Can someone give my some info on this thing.

lReef lKeeper
09-22-2006, 07:16 PM
its a brisstle worm, they are good unless they reach outrages lengths. if they get over 6" i pull them out. do not touch it unless you want a handful of bristles. use a pair of tweezers to remove them if they get that big.

seahorsedreams
09-22-2006, 07:35 PM
This is what happens if you touch them... ow.....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/seahorsedreams/bristlesgreg.jpg

AuntKaren
09-22-2006, 09:20 PM
Bristle worms are a good thing....but like Bobby said if they get too big they then become a nuisance. They eat detrius and dead creatures really quickly. I saw one in a snail shell just yesterday, the snail had been ailing so I'm sure it died and the bristle worm found it before I did and saved me the effort of digging out the shell for sterilization.

Seahorsedreams you are right. That would definately be an OW!! Nice pic!

lReef lKeeper
09-22-2006, 09:38 PM
you must have one heck of a camera to capture those bristles !!

This is what happnes if you touch them... ow.....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y248/seahorsedreams/bristlesgreg.jpg

seahorsedreams
09-22-2006, 11:03 PM
you must have one heck of a camera to capture those bristles !!

Lucky for me it was my boyfriend's finger and my camera. Glad it wasn't the other way around. It was one of the large blue/gray varieties that got him when we were moving the reef. Vinegar worked in seconds.

AuntKaren
09-27-2006, 10:51 AM
LOL that's the ticket .....get someone else to stick their fingers in there! HAHAHAHAHA!

mutts
09-28-2006, 12:39 AM
owww.... i was just getting over my fear of them too. i have a few large ones in my tank and they do a pretty good job of keeping the sand stired up and eating at stuff where nothing else can reach. i have never had any problems with them personaly, but like mentioned above they can hurt you so you don't want tons in your tank