PDA

View Full Version : Lighting changed out XM to 'saki

davejnz
12-02-2004, 04:58 PM
My new XM was working fine for a couple days but my IceCap has since stopped firing it.I dont think those XM's like IceCaps as i've heard from others having problems with them.I put my old CV back in for a while but i just changed my T5's to blue+ and act03 so it was way too much blue going on.So,I was digging in my closet when i found my old AdvanceH37 ballast/Iwasaki bulb.Wired it up,it fired right up and I forgot how bright those things are.It looks pretty good,supplemented with the T5's so i think i'm gonna go with it.IceCap's gonna take my ballast back and re-wire it so it will fire the Xm's but after that i'm probably just gonna sell it off with the brand-new bulb.Everyone always says 'sakis look yellow but on the advance ballast i find them to burn a little more whiteish.Hope to have some pics here soon after i finish acclimating.

dakar
12-02-2004, 08:21 PM
Definately post up some pics... think you just re-affirmed my decision to go the 'saki route here for us.

BTW can you give me an idea of how much heat the 'sakis generate compared to the XM's (and any others bulbs?) Heard a slight horror story today of how a pair of 250 MH's raised a 75g tank from 80 to 88 in 10 hours.... easy enough to fix with some cooling fans, but if the saki's are similar I may need to build some extra room into my canopy plans.

Reptoreef
12-02-2004, 08:33 PM
Saki's claim to be best for coral growth... hopefully the act will be enough for sweet coloring.

ereefic
12-03-2004, 12:01 AM
I've heard the same thing about XM's and Icecap. A local fella has a couple of 20k XM HQI bulbs that ran for about a week on his Icecap ballast then wouldn't fire again. His misfortune will be my gain as we can use the 20k XM's on the clam tank in the mini pendant. :)

davejnz
12-03-2004, 04:12 PM
Heat,maybe a little more but not much.My tank has remained at 81 since the change.1-4" fan seems to do the job.PAR is unbelievable,right now i'm acclimating with eggcrate plastic with 2 sheets of screen on top and its just as bright as with my CV.I actually find the saki to be whiter than the XM on my IC ballast(probably a ballast thing).The crispness is much better than the other bulbs as well.The T5 blue+ is a must IMO for supplementing this bulb as it just over powers the act03.The blue+ really brings out some awesome colors as well.Overall,I think i've achieved the color i've been wanting.

Reptoreef
12-03-2004, 08:40 PM
Right on!!!

davejnz
12-04-2004, 12:19 PM
Here's a couple of lousy pics.Tank is still in the process of removing all sand but should be BB in about a week.

dakar
12-04-2004, 01:34 PM
Overexposed or not that is really bright! The shadows from the rocks are very pronounced. But your critters look happy.

Any progress on the light mover project? Think you'd mentioned you were gonna start experimenting with it.

davejnz
12-04-2004, 02:30 PM
been so busy,looks like i'm gonna be putting it off until my new tank arrives(Jan.)
Right now,I'm building the stand and i figure it'll be easier to integrate before i design/build the canopy.BTW,what do you think of the overall color with the T5's?

Reptoreef
12-04-2004, 11:14 PM
Dave, looks awesome.

dakar
12-04-2004, 11:40 PM
Looks fantastic to me as well. I really need to get through the holidays and get the canopy built so I can ditch the PC's and get the saki's going here.

How big is the 'new' tank?

Reptoreef
12-05-2004, 12:03 AM
Why ditch the pc's... IMO, no such thing as too much light on a reef. Why not use 'em to enhance the actinics and/or the dusk-dawn effect???

davejnz
12-05-2004, 07:54 AM
Looks fantastic to me as well. I really need to get through the holidays and get the canopy built so I can ditch the PC's and get the saki's going here.

How big is the 'new' tank?
thanks,the new tank is a 40 breeder,basically the same size as my 30 but i'll have 18" of width now instead of 12".Should make for a more spacious aquascape and allow me to have more room for my T5's and MH reflector in my canopy,not to mention better gas exchange.Its getting drilled and fitted with an overflow in the back corner.

dakar
12-05-2004, 09:22 AM
Good deal Dave, no more messing with overflow boxes and stuff... oughta make life easier.

I meant ditch them as the primary light source is all, tossing the 10K's... gonna hack apart the fixture and take the guts to retrofit them into the canopy using either blue or actinics bulbs. Big plans, low cash flow right now... :lol:

davejnz
12-05-2004, 10:01 AM
I would go with the PC blues in the parabolic reflectors from ahsupply.They will make your PC's just as bright as the T5's IME.The act03's dont hold up against the 'sakis IMO.Besides the PC blue peaks@450nm which will compliment the 'saki well
http://www.AHsupply.com

dakar
12-05-2004, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the tip, I'll chwck them out.