PDA

View Full Version : Toledo Zoo and Aquarium Field Trip

fishtal
04-22-2015, 02:22 PM
MASM is planning a field trip to see the new Aquarium at the Toledo Zoo and need to know who is interested in going. Tentative date is Sunday, May 17th. That is the weekend between Mother's Day and Memorial Day.

If there is enough interest I will set a specific date and time along with other details. In the meantime you can see what they have done here: https://www.toledozoo.org/site/program/775

fishtal
04-23-2015, 08:18 PM
This is open to everyone, you don't have to be a MASM member to attend. :)

jimsflies
04-23-2015, 09:43 PM
Sounds like fun. Too bad May is shot for me already.

fishtal
04-23-2015, 11:41 PM
Sounds like fun. Too bad May is shot for me already.

The reason I'd like to do it in May is because they're going to be swamped as soon as school gets out and for most of the summer. Personally, I'll be busy, or out of town, from late July until mid-Sept.

fishtal
04-25-2015, 10:25 PM
The newly renovated Aquarium houses 3000+ aquatic animals in 178,000 gallons of water – nearly four times the volume as the previous Aquarium. Although the two and half year renovation preserved the exterior of the Works Progress Administration (WPA)-era structure, the new Aquarium experience, from sleek sharks to glittering tropical fish, is like nothing seen before in this region.
Touch a stingray with your own hands.
Stand beside a sea turtle as it glides by.
Interact with a diver inside inside The Reef, a huge 90,000-gallon exhibit generously supported by Owens-Illinois, Inc.
Every step leads you further into the mysteries that lurk underwater, from flooded forests of the Amazon and deep seas of the Pacific to fish that glow in the dark and sea nettles that kill with a touch. The renovations to the new Aquarium were also possible due to the gracious support of Lucas County.

Old vs New
Below are some comparisons between the old and new Aquarium:

Exhibit water volume:
Old: 46,000 gallons
New: 178,000 gallons

Largest Exhibit:
Old: 7,600 gallons
New: 90,000 gallons

Percentage of marine (saltwater) exhibits:
Old: 37%
New: 87%

mumbles027
05-03-2015, 06:12 PM
What is the cost? How do I find out more about it?

Thank you

fishtal
05-03-2015, 07:30 PM
Admission to the Zoo is $13-$16. The tour of the new Aquarium is included in Zoo admission, If we get enough people we might be able to get a group discount too. :)

Since there was no interest in the May date I'm now looking at June. Is anyone interested in going in June?

slosht
05-07-2015, 05:39 PM
I'm interested in going. Any weekend in June is good for me except the weekend of the 13th and 14th.

fishtal
05-13-2015, 11:35 PM
Does anyone want to go on June 7th?

ebushrow
05-25-2015, 05:41 PM
Hi guys,
Hit the aquarium this weekend and was pretty unimpressed by what was there....there were a couple of coral tanks, and a huge clam, but overall I think without a behind the scenes tour, you would be better off hitting up Sealife in auburn hills again....there were some cool things two look at, but within 25-30 minutes you are pretty much done. Maybe I'm spoiled though....:silly:

fishtal
05-26-2015, 08:32 PM
Hi guys,
Hit the aquarium this weekend and was pretty unimpressed by what was there....there were a couple of coral tanks, and a huge clam, but overall I think without a behind the scenes tour, you would be better off hitting up Sealife in auburn hills again....there were some cool things two look at, but within 25-30 minutes you are pretty much done. Maybe I'm spoiled though....:silly:

Being new I'm sure it has some growing out to do. What about the new 90,000 gallon exhibit?

that Reef Guy
06-05-2015, 04:28 PM
Hi guys,

I hear just the opposite

Everyone tells me Toledo is Amazing and that SeaLife is Horrible