PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Nano Reef Contest Contest - Sea~Horse~Whisperer

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
12-31-2006, 02:10 PM
Here is my Entry pic. (according to the date on my camera, it's already 1-1-07. How do I fix that?

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
12-31-2006, 03:29 PM
pics 2&3

perpetual98
12-31-2006, 04:41 PM
That's a PERFECT entry thread. Hopefully everyone else will follow your lead. For doing such a nice job, I give you a 12 hour grace period so you can start in 2006. :)

Eric

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
12-31-2006, 04:57 PM
oops....I thought you posted that we could start early, lol. "what's 12 hrs. right?"

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
12-31-2006, 04:58 PM
last pic since my daughter left with the digi cam.

perpetual98
12-31-2006, 05:50 PM
Very cool. My 40G tank at work looks kinda like that. I just added a HOB filter (I think the same one that you have) to it to clear it up. It's looked like milk since Friday. :)

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
12-31-2006, 06:03 PM
This is going to be a fun contest for me. 99% of everything I need and am going to use, I already have laying around the house.

10g tank new 9.99
stand $0 christmas gift
HOB filter (300gph) $0 (already had)
Sand $0 (already had)
30 lbs rock $0 already had
96w pc quad retro $0 (already had)
Seaclone skimmer $0 (already had)

Total so far $9.99

I'm NOT telling what I plan on putting in the tank yet. That's a suprise. (not seahorses, lol......well that's not the plan anyways...plans are subject to change, especially when I'm involved :) )

perpetual98
12-31-2006, 06:29 PM
Cool! I'm with you. I've got just about everything laying around for my tank too. I'm just not sure when I'm going to get around to it with my 40 gallon tank being set up as we speak.

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
12-31-2006, 11:02 PM
I snuck in one more pic before my daughter left. She didn't leave as early as I thought she was going to.

Not too bad for $9.99 and a few hours work. :) Now I get to start the waiting game for the cycle to start. I shouldn't have too long since I had the rock and sand in use earlier. It's been in buckets since I set up the new 75g. I didn't use it all so I saved it for future use.

Sweetpea
01-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Looks like you're off to a great start Angie! :)

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-02-2007, 07:10 PM
Thanks. I can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with.

hummer
01-03-2007, 09:55 AM
love the rock is the big rock 1 peise or more and what kind is it

ps.. wish i had stuff around the house i would join your contest

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-03-2007, 01:38 PM
There is actually 6 pieces of rock there. It is from Haiti and it is encrusted lettuce head rock. I love it because it has cool shapes and lots of nice ledges for corals to sit on. I bought 100 lbs. of it last March for my 65g tank. It was uncured and it took 7 days to get here ( i paid overnight shipping) It was the smelliest, grossest mess I have ever smelled. The house stunk forever and there was 0 life left on it. Took 2 months to get all of the die off off of it and cure it. But it "would have" been awsome if all would have went like it should have.

Hummer..... lol, you WILL get lots of stuff built up eventually. We all do. I have boxes of "misc." saltwater stuff. So much that I don't even know what's in 1/2 of them anymore. I need to go thru all of the totes and decide what to get rid of. I have so many plumbing parts, I could probably restock menards.

Angie

mutts
01-03-2007, 06:20 PM
i'm sure we all could help you restock menards... think they'd pay us??

anyway nice looking tank, love the aquascape can't wait to see some life on it

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-03-2007, 10:35 PM
I did my first water tests today. Here are the results:
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0.5
alk 300 (kh)
PH 8.4
ammonia .5

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-03-2007, 10:38 PM
Didn't anyone else set up theirs yet? LOL Maybe I'm the only crazy fool who couldn't wait to start another project. I quit smoking 3 days ago, I need something to do. I already cleaned the cobwebs out of the basement today. Ohhh I miss my smokes!!!

dakar
01-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Had all the pieces for months, just haven't gotten around to getting started... But I'll post my entry thread here shortly, then I can start hacking on the tank, still working out some details in my head to do some 'different' things. But you'll have to wait for them to come to be before I give them up, I'm not sharing.

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-07-2007, 11:06 PM
I did another water test today. Ohhh it's ugly!!! Yeah!!!!
Nitrate 40
nitrite 3.0
ammonia .75-1.0
ph 8.2
alk 240
salinity 1.024
Temp 76

I'm using the dip strips for now since I don't need precise measurements yet.

I have lights!!! I'm using a 96w PC power quad retro. :cool:

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-07-2007, 11:15 PM
I "could have" used a 250w MH over the tank, but that would be a little too much. I "was" going to do sps, but I decided I didn't want to get that crazy. Cooling a 10g tank with a 250w MH over it in the summer would have been a nightmare!! I don't have central air and my window airconditioner wouldn't have been enough. I know 0 about sps and I didn't think there would be enough growth before september to make me happy. Plus.....what would I do with them after the contest? All of my big tanks have seahorses in them and they couldn't stay in the 10g forever.

mutts
01-08-2007, 01:03 AM
pretty blue lights!

jojo22
01-08-2007, 08:35 AM
You are makeing me wish that I could enter!

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-13-2007, 10:08 PM
ok, I did another round of water tests.
Nitrate 20
nitrite .5
Alk 260
ph 8.4
ammonia .25

Almost there, but not quite. Now I just have to keep telling myself that a pair of H. Reidi seahorses Will NOT be happy in a 10g tank.... not even if they are juvi's / small. But I want them so bad :'(

hummer
01-14-2007, 01:32 AM
are you using a shrimp to cycle the tank ? if so how long should the shrimp stay in there

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-14-2007, 07:17 AM
it stays in there untill it's GONE, lol. It will disinegrate (sp?), lol.
Angie

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-15-2007, 01:13 AM
ok I did another water test .....regular tests this time, no dip strips.
Nitrate 10
nitrite 0
ammonia 0
ph 8.4
alk 11 dkh
calcium 450
phosphates 0

that's all of the tests I did tonight. If everything stays stable for awhile, I'll be adding goodies soon.

Angie

Iconz
01-15-2007, 08:15 AM
Lookin VERY GOOD! (ALOT better!)

Sweetpea
01-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Oooh, I can't wait for you to put some critters in there!!! :)

hummer
01-16-2007, 09:59 AM
good job so far sweetpea cant wait to see more pics..

adam_anzivino
01-16-2007, 01:19 PM
oh my god, i have no chance!

Fally
01-16-2007, 02:08 PM
It's lookin good!

Dave

carpenterwrasse
01-16-2007, 03:51 PM
so where did you find the rock?

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-16-2007, 05:34 PM
I got the rock off of ebay last March. It is from Haiti. Lots of nice ledges for coral frags to sit on. It wasn't too bad of a price either. I think it was $349.00 or $389.00 for 100 pounds of the rock.

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-16-2007, 05:58 PM
I spent all day fraggin and cleaning the 65g. in my living room. I now have corals in the nano. They are still adjusting, so they don't look their best at the moment. Enjoy!

Angie

jojo22
01-16-2007, 05:59 PM
you could send me some of those beautiful zoos in the third picture for my 2.5!!!!

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-16-2007, 06:16 PM
When it warms up a bit I could. It's too cold to ship them priority mail now. Anything else wouldn't be cost effective.

jojo22
01-16-2007, 06:19 PM
SWEET, I was just joking around letting you know how preaty I thought they where but I would love to have some in there. I think I am going to do all zoos in that tank like a big field. Thank you very much!!!

adam_anzivino
01-16-2007, 07:45 PM
wow... i look at those pics and then i look 2 feet to my left and see my barren tank... my heart starts to sink; but my gears are turning upstairs. I'll figure a way to give you a run for your money.

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-16-2007, 07:58 PM
I'm just playing.....all of my tanks are seahorse tanks, so this is just fun for me. I didn't think I'd ever again have a tank that didn't have resident seahorses. I'm trying not to get anything I can't put into the seahorse tanks once the contest is over. If I do get some corals that are not seahorse safe, I will have to get rid of them when the contest is over. I have to have limits ya know, lol. Though I "could" convert one of my tanks back to a reef tank if I really wanted to.

I do have a red blasto in the nano that never bothered my seahorses when it was in the 65g. If I remember correctly, it was labled as a red mushroom at the LFS. I knew better and snapped it up VERY cheap, lol. I now work at that LFS so I have to tell her stuff like that now.....not always a good thing for me :(

carpenterwrasse
01-16-2007, 08:50 PM
I can not find that rock on ebay any further info you could give me would be great.. Thanks

Sweetpea
01-16-2007, 09:34 PM
Angie, it's looking great! I know what you mean about the mis-labeling at the LFS... I would feel bad too, but you already have the beginnings of a very nice tank!!!

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-16-2007, 10:14 PM
You won't find it on ebay anylonger. It took over a week to get the rock to me when I paid for overnight shipping. Apparently they were having some major shipping issues because I wasn't the only one who got late deliveries. They got ALOT of neg. feedback in one month and quit selling on there. I did however find out later that is wasn't completely their fault. The rock was comming from Haiti, and apparently they were having riots over there at that time and there were no flights out for over 10 days. They do have a website that they sell live rock from, but I'm not sure if it is from the same place in Haiti.
Here is the web address www.zabogarock.com I know it's the same person because they sent me an email giving me the web address not long ago. The do offer a free shipping option, but ask for overnight or 2 day max. The rock I got was NOT pretty when it finally arrivedafter being over a week late.

Thank you sweetpea. It's nice to play along, without having to hurry or plan, or do anything stressful. Just whatever I feel like doing. Gotta love the 2g water change. I'm more used to 40g water changes every week. (20 in the 75 - 15 in the 65 - 5 in the 20g) The other 5 tanks get water changes as needed, lol.

adam_anzivino
01-16-2007, 10:38 PM
wow thats the sketchiest looking site i've seen for saltwater. no testimonials or site info. lol

hummer
01-18-2007, 01:40 AM
sea horse whisperer..... thanks for the web site i like that rock ....is it a good co. to order from

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-18-2007, 10:07 AM
I do not know how they are to order from off of the website. When I bought rock form them it was off of ebay. They had lots of positive feedback untill the end, when there was a lot of shipping problems for alot of people. Then they got a lot of negative feedback. Not all of it was their fault.....the rock came from Haiti. Not the most stable government. They were having riots over there and there were no outbound flights for 10 days. I believe their only mistake was selling the LR before they actually had it in their possession. Because their regular orders couldn't get to them from Haiti, we all had to wait a few weeks for our rock. At that time I had sent them 369.00- 389.00 and I was worried since that was ALOT of $$ and no rock. I did eventually get my live rock but again there were problems.

There was free shipping included for the LR. If you read, it is GROUND shipping and I didn't want mine shipped ground...that's 6-8 days the rock would have been in a box. I paid extra for overnight shipping when I paid for the rock. Unfortionatly, they has so many orders to fill once the riots stopped and they got their orders in, they forgot that I paid extra for overnight shipping and they sent it ground. It got stuck over the weekend in shipping so it took 10 days total for the rock to get to me. It was a nasty smelly mess!!!! It was gross, it actually had mold growing on it.

NOW...I can tell you it would have have been the BEST LR if all had gone the right way. The shapes of the rock were the most incredible I had ever seen at that price. There was tons of life (now dead) on the rock and in the bottom of the box. There were plants, sponges, corals, ect. all dried out on the rock. I spent hours scrubbing the now dead life off of the rocks and putting them into a 32g. tub to cure. I used an ASM G3 skimmer on it for 2 months to get it cured. I did 20g a day water changes because the die off was so bad and so smelly. My entire house stunk so bad, both of my kids spent a few days at their friend's house. I couldn't blame them. It made me want to vomit myself, lol. I had every window in the house open in MARCH in wisconsin. To **** with freezing to death....we needed to breathe!!!

SO....I haven't ordered from them since then. They quit selling on ebay because of all of the negative feedback they received over that incident. I think ebay banned them....they do that if there are too many negative feedbacks in a certain amount of time. I didn't even know they were still selling LR at all untill I received an email about a week or so ago telling me they were back in business. hmmm... I wonder if the "credit" they gave me for the shipping mistake is still good? (they gave me a credit on my next order from them instead of refunding my $ for the overnight shipping....I never got to use it since they got banned from ebay.)

Was it good LR....yes....but I can't tell you how their service is now. It's been almost a year since I ordered from them. I don't even know if they are selling the "SAME" type of LR I got from them. They may be getting it someplace else for all I know.

Sorry for such a long post, but I just wanted you to be informed of my experience with them.

Good luck.

Angie

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-18-2007, 10:08 AM
The site is new Adam....Give them some time, I think it may improve. Thought I'm not sure about that.

adam_anzivino
01-18-2007, 11:10 AM
alright, i just usually check for all the legals and certificates before i buy from a site, i didn't know they were on e-bay? I saw a lot of stores online for live rock, most of em had some extreme shipping costs, so if I was to get just the 10 lbs of rock for my nano i'd go for the lower shipping rates. a lot of em have great deals for large orders like 50+ pounds of rock.

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-18-2007, 12:00 PM
ya, I know what you mean. I believe there is a 100lb. minimum order at that site as well. Check ebay for 10lbs. of live rock. I seen some 10lb. lots for sale there yesterday. Not a bad price either.

I always order 100lbs at a time, even if I don't need that much. I can always put any extra into a tub with a powerhead for use later. And we all know...there's always a need later, lol.

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Here are the latest pics of my nano. I added a colony of neon orange zoanthids, a rock of neon green star polyps, and another softie. Not sure if it's a kenya or colt coral. Anyone know? I have more corals a commin' too...fun fun. I may have to reaquascape to make room for all of the corals I want to put in here. I'll be fraggin them before the contest ends, lol.

Angie

perpetual98
01-18-2007, 02:28 PM
That's lookin' slick! That's why I wanted to start this contest, so we could see people's creativity with 10G tanks.

My guess is Kenya tree, but I've never had a colt, so I could be wrong.

Oh yeah, I'll take a frag of those zoos. ;)

Eric

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-18-2007, 02:52 PM
I can't wait till my rock get some purple coraline on it. All of my frags have coraline on them, so it's a big noticable difference. My rock is SOOO white. Kinda looks like my front yard.....yucky snow.

Angie

carpenterwrasse
01-18-2007, 03:07 PM
I really like your rock i would love to see if i could get the same style that you have...
George

Sweetpea
01-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Angie - it looks GREAT!!! :)

adam_anzivino
01-18-2007, 10:21 PM
wow your tank is looking spectacular! I can't wait for mine to cycle so i can add some corals, maybe an anemone

hummer
01-19-2007, 01:46 AM
wow it looks grand i cant what for water in mine ....awwwwwwwwwww

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-21-2007, 08:15 PM
I added a pair of True percula's to my 10g nano. They were in my 65g. seahorse tank. I love True percula's. They have wider black bands and a darker orange color then Amphiprion ocellaris. You can also tell the true from the false by the black around the eyes. They are hard to find around here. Ocellaris seems to be all any of LFS's carry anymore. I waited months to find a True percula pair.

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-23-2007, 10:51 AM
Here comes the diatoms...I just noticed the light brown coating on my sandbed. I suped up the skimmer, increased flow, and used a baster to blow off the rocks and top of the sand bed. It will come back, but it will pass. I've been waiting for this.

Angie

perpetual98
01-23-2007, 11:00 AM
I was and still sorta am getting diatoms in my new 40. I had a nice dead spot (no flow) towards the back of the tank. I aimed a SEIO 620 across the back to alleviate that. Diatoms seem to be fading a bit now.

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-27-2007, 08:48 PM
Here is the newest addition to my nano. It's a bubble anemone. I hope the percula's wait for it to get settled in before jumping in it. (If they do at all) They will host a carpet anemone in a heart beat, not so sure about a bubble. We'll see. If not, no big deal. This pair has hosted in a carpet before, I just don't have it anymore. They "loved" it to death. I tried to protect it, but they were very rough with it. I hope they are kinder to this one. I will remove it before I let them kill this one.

Sweetpea
01-27-2007, 09:18 PM
Good luck, Angie! I hope they settle in nicely!!! :)

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Thank you. If they decide not to host it, I will return it to the LFS for something else for the nano. It's on the move right now, so I 'm watching it, and moving any corals that are in it's way. It's a good thing I didn't epoxy anything into a permenant place yet, lol. So far I had to rescue my purple and green zoanthids. My kenya tree is next I think. Darn traveling anemonies.

Does anyone know if we can add a sump to the tank later in the contest? If we can, when do we have to do it by?

Thanks.
Angie

jojo22
01-27-2007, 09:50 PM
I don't recall any thing in the rules about not adding a sump later. Let me look it up just so we can discus this. I can start a new thread if you are afraid this one would then be hijacked

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-27-2007, 09:58 PM
I don't mind if it's discussed in this thread, lol. We've already had a lengthy post about live rock in here :)

Running total before anemone 9.99
Bubble anemone 20.00

Total nano cost so far: 29.99

I have a few more corals to add next week. Just waiting for them to recover from the fragging. I love fragging corals ;)

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-27-2007, 10:07 PM
I just wanted everyone to know that I "normally" wouldn't put an anemone in a 10g tank, and I wouldn't put one under PC lighting either. BUT...since it's a 96w PC Power quad and the top of the sandbed is only 14 inches from the bulb, I think it will be ok. I have 9.6 watts per gallon, lol. If it seems like the anemone is not getting everything it needs, I have a few options. I can return it to the LFS or I can add it to my 75g. (that has t5's on it and i have a 250w mh I can add if needed)

I didn't want to get reprimanded for having the anemone in here. I also didn't want to give the wrong idea to any "newbies" that may read this.

Ok...back to our regular posts...................................

Angie

dakar
01-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Sure you can add a sump..... the rules state only that your sump can be no larger than the display, in this case 10g max.

So sump away!

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-27-2007, 10:48 PM
Easier said then done, lol. It's a little late to be drilling my nano tank. Not that I couldn't go buy another 10g, get it drilled, and switch everything over. It's not Feb. 1st yet, lol. I have a whole 4 days yet. The smallest return pump I have is 700gph. He he he 700 gph in a 10g softie tank. Just think of it as "self fragging" ha ha ha. Hmmmm maybe I better get a smaller pump. Ya think????

jojo22
01-27-2007, 10:50 PM
NAAHHH just t it off to the little fuge you could build and it will slow the flow. I wounder about a separate fuge??? How would that work with the rules if you can have a 10 gal sump can you have a 10 gal fuge also???

dakar
01-27-2007, 11:12 PM
NAAHHH just t it off to the little fuge you could build and it will slow the flow. I wounder about a separate fuge??? How would that work with the rules if you can have a 10 gal sump can you have a 10 gal fuge also???

Nope.... no more than 10g outside of the display....

jojo22
01-27-2007, 11:22 PM
Hey I'm not in this thing I just had a thought!! Can you blame me for asking it may save someone from being DQ'ed

adam_anzivino
01-28-2007, 08:00 PM
haha im soo jealous of your tank angie

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
01-28-2007, 09:45 PM
Thank you Adam. Yours will get there. This is the most fun I've had with a tank in awhile. Every tank I have has seahorses in it. (besided the 10g nano) It's nice to have a tank that I don't have to make "seahorse safe". I'm also setting up my 75g reef tank, so anything that outgrows this tank can be transferred to that one.

Angie

adam_anzivino
01-29-2007, 06:31 PM
sounds like a plan! can't wait for some pics, i love big reef tanks ;-)

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
02-02-2007, 10:01 PM
I will update pics for the month Feb. on Monday or Tuesday. We'll see what goodies I add this weekend. :)

hummer
02-03-2007, 01:25 AM
wohoo cant wait too see them......:)

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
02-05-2007, 03:15 PM
I guess I won't get any updates posted for a few days or so. I started emptying and moving my 75g today. That will take awhile. I will get back to the nano asap though.

Angie

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
02-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Here are some updated pics. Not much has changed besides some coral growth. Of course the bubble anemone is under the back of the rocks. Go figure.

hummer
02-21-2007, 12:34 AM
it loooooooooooooooooooooks great

jojo22
02-21-2007, 03:49 AM
LOOKIN GOOD ANGIE!!!!!

spookey
02-21-2007, 07:14 AM
really nice there angie

chris

Iconz
02-21-2007, 08:54 AM
lookin good angie!

adam_anzivino
02-22-2007, 06:08 PM
i must admit you've got a really good looking setup going there
I really like the rock too
-Adam

BWADWM35
02-22-2007, 06:14 PM
very nice looking tank

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
02-22-2007, 09:22 PM
Thank you everyone. Soon I will get to add more corals. I
m debating if I should frag my Monster neon yellow toadstool leather. I do have a Hammer frag and a few more frags just about ready for the switch to the nano. I may have to do some rearranging to get them all in here yet allow for growth room. That's the problem with nanos, too much stuff and not enough room for it all. :)

Angie

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
03-07-2007, 02:50 PM
I added a few more goodies to the tank. I don't think I'm going to get much more in here, lol. Not if I want any growing room anyways. Enjoy!

Angie

Fally
03-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Wow! Very nice!

Dave

RHAPALA
03-07-2007, 03:09 PM
I LOVE YOUR TANK

cweber
03-07-2007, 03:26 PM
Thats so awesome!

jojo22
03-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Lookin good.

Thanks now I have to go work on mine!!!

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
03-07-2007, 03:37 PM
Thank you everyone. I still haven't spent over 29.99 on the total tank and corals. That total will go up once I get the zoanthids I ordered from Fatman. They should be here this week. I wish I could get the bubble anemone to move out from behind the rockwork. It's happy where it is, so I just leave it alone. The clowns ignore it, so I may trade it for a tiny carpet anemone. I'm just not sure if that's a good idea. When the contest is over I would have to move it into a 20g High tank since I took the 75g reef apart.

I won't be setting the 75g back up as saltwater. For saltwater tanks I'm only keeping my 65g and the nano. I was going thru over 1 full 200g bucket of oceanic salt a month with all of the tanks I going.

Sweetpea
03-07-2007, 08:21 PM
It looks SUPER nice Angie!!!

Where do your clowns hang out?

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
03-07-2007, 08:31 PM
here they are

Sweetpea
03-07-2007, 08:35 PM
LOL! So much for the nem... ;)

spookey
03-07-2007, 08:46 PM
wow nice tank angie

chris

hummer
03-08-2007, 01:50 AM
very nice ...wow

bobert
03-10-2007, 12:32 AM
great tank do have a list of things in there?

hummer
03-10-2007, 12:43 AM
what kind of coral is that ...the one on the right side in the middle it looks hairy green to me

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
03-10-2007, 09:37 PM
The coral on the right is a neon green star polyp colony. It's been one of my favorites since I bought it years ago. I keep fragging it because it grows so nice.

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
03-10-2007, 09:54 PM
I almost threw in the towel this morning. At 6am (before work) I was at my desk and my daughter came up behind me and said "mom.....it's all dead!!!" I spun around, flipped on the lights in the nano and it all truly looked dead.

What the !@#$%^&*! The tank was over 90 !!! The heater was set at the lowest possible temp. and had NEVER been changed. For some reason it came on and stayed on. I quickly grabbed all of the corals and put them in the 20g High tank on the other side of the room. The ricordia was gone....a gooey slimy pile of snot, along with the xenia and bubble anemone. I also lost my pair of clowns and the peppermint shrimp.

Because I had to be at work, there wasn't a whole lot I had time to do. I pulled out and disposed of the clowns (sniff sniff) and the pep. shrimp. I also tossed the melted xenia, anemone, and the ricordia. Everything else was kept in the 20g High for the day. I set the skimmer to wet skim and off to work I went.

At 6pm when I got home......Suprise!!! All of the zoanthids and star polyps made it. The verdict is still out on the singularia, colt, and blasto. It does appear that the colt and the singularia will make it. The blasto......no clue.

That was the closest I have ever come to a total tank nuke. BUT....it's still alive and all will be ok. I do have the mother colonies of all of the frags. Yippy!!!

I loved the true Percs.....I searched for them for a long time. They were $$ too. I will get another pair someday, if I can find them.

Since I had so many corals in the tank before this and I still have most of them, I rearranged the rock work while I was doing everything else tonight. More room for more corals.

Geesh.....when it rains it pours. I'll post new pics as soon as I figure out how to make them smaller. I got a new digi cam and the pics are HUGE, lol.

Angie

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
03-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Here are the pics after the near nuke and rearranging the rocks.

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
03-10-2007, 10:34 PM
I finally tossed the seaclone I had on my nano 2 days ago. I added a new one and it's much nicer. It's a CPR BAK-PAK

hummer
03-10-2007, 11:19 PM
sorry to hear about what happiend glad you saved most of them :)

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
03-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Thank you....me too, if it would have been a total tank crash I would have been disqualified from the contest. Both the singularia (sp?) and the colt coral are going to make it. Woo hoo. I ordered another pair of True percula clowns. They should be in on Thursday if the vendor has them available. I also requested a small carpet anemone. They usually only have bigger carpets. I'll let ya know if / what I get.

Angie

cweber
03-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Thats a bummer. Are you going to put the same of everything back in?

Fally
03-14-2007, 02:08 PM
I an sorry to hear about your heater issue and the lost fish. Not cool at all. I have heard that could happen but have never paid that much attention. Makes me wonder about the heaters I have in my main reef.

I hope everything you have left pulls through, you tank was looking so nice!

Dave

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
03-14-2007, 05:50 PM
I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point. The singularia didn't make it but the colt coral did. I may just let everything recover for a week or so and see how everything looks from there. I also have to talk to the mods to see how much loss is considered a "crash". I don't want to put mmore work into it and find out later that I was disqualified because of the heater issue and the deaths it caused.

In 6 yrs. I have never had a heater kill anything. Just be aware it CAN happen.

Angie

Sweetpea
03-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Angie, I am SO sorry to hear about the heater mallfunction and the resulting losses you've suffered!

I can't speak for the judges, but if it were up to me I wouldn't disqualify you. It seems to me that overcoming equipment malfunction and still producing a successful tank would merit some extra credit. ;)

SharkBait
03-14-2007, 07:28 PM
Sorry about that Angie... that's a bummer.

jojo22
03-14-2007, 07:40 PM
I can't speak for the judges, but if it were up to me I wouldn't disqualify you. It seems to me that overcoming equipment malfunction and still producing a successful tank would merit some extra credit. ;)

I agree. This wasn't lack of feeding or knowledge or any other user error. It was an equipment malfunction. I think if you use the same rock and sand your tank should be considered the same. It would be just like trading in all your corals for different ones.

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
03-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Thank you all for the support. I didn't have to remove any of the rock or the sand. I just removed the corals untill I could get home from work and do some water changes and let the tank "cool off". I put everything back in when I got home. I did a 50% water change. I am STILL worried about a few of my zoanthids. They have not melted away, but they rarely open. It may just take some time for them to recover. I haven't been on the board much due to the fact that I'm trying to get everything done around the house before my surgery on April 10th. I'm so NOT looking forward to it. I asked my boss at work to order me a pair of True Perculas. IF the supplier had them, I should get them Thursday.

Angie

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
04-27-2007, 01:00 AM
I will be adding updated pics before the end of the month so I don't get DQ'd.

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
04-30-2007, 06:17 PM
Because of my surgeries not too much has changed besides growth. Next month there will be lots of new stuff.

mutts
05-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Wow, it dosn't even look like a ten gal, it looks huge! can't wait to see the changes you are going to make to it.

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
06-01-2007, 06:55 PM
I was out of town so I didn't get my nano pics in by the end of the month. I am withdrawing from the contest since I will be DQ'd anyways ;). I will take the 10g nano down and add everything in it to another tank.

Good Luck to those still in the contest.

Angie