PDA

View Full Version : id needed plz

RHAPALA
01-19-2007, 10:16 AM
hey all i just got2 new items in my tank i i know i put there and one item i dident put in short story around the 2 items is this a guy was getting out of the hobby and had just these 2 left and so gave them to my wife

one i know is some sort of blue starfish and the other i'm not really sure on i have tried to look them up in my 2 books i have but no luck and now on the 3rd item i think was a stowaway in some cheato i got from the lfs

Fatman
01-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Those blue starfish usually do not last very long in captivity its a real shame from what I heard.

graphixx
01-19-2007, 10:45 AM
the first is a linkia star and yes they do not fair well in captivity, the 2nd is aptasia GET THAT OUT they are a pest, and the last is an anenome and the name slips me. seriously I would take the star back he should of warned you when he sold it to you

RWalston
01-19-2007, 12:00 PM
The blue linkia will do well if they are slowly acclimated. Very Very slowly. The problem is they are dieing before they even get to your tank because they are not taken care of by vendors.

RHAPALA
01-19-2007, 03:44 PM
the star and the anenome were both given to me for free and as for acclimating them i did a slow drip on them for almost 3 hours before adding them to the tank it was a gtts rate of maybe 30 gtts a min
i has them in the tank in their bags for a bout 1 hour to get the water to the tank temp then i did the dripping.......now that i know its a blue linkia i can do a search on how to feed him/it i just need to know about the anenome now and will clown host it? and being that small do i need to spot feed it? thats somthing i have not yet done do you just set the food on it next to the mouth?
sorry gtts means drops in the medical field

jojo22
01-19-2007, 03:55 PM
That anemone will need some good light. What do you have??? I forget.

RHAPALA
01-19-2007, 04:48 PM
i was told that what i have for right now will do i just have 1 10.000 k bulb i think 40 watts next month i get my good lights

RHAPALA
01-19-2007, 04:49 PM
but whats the name of it hehehe

graphixx
01-19-2007, 05:34 PM
I cant think of it right now when I get home I will get it if no one chimes in with the I.D.

AuntKaren
01-20-2007, 08:33 PM
That is a Flower Anemone...I have one and no your clown will not host in it. I have crabs and shrimps that crawl across it and it doesn't bother them. It must have a nasty sting, though because when the serpent reaches across the "petals" you can almost hear him holler OUCH! But the serpent hasn't gotten grabbed by the anemone either. I just spot feed it with a turkey baster and he gets the same meaty foods that my fish eat....frozen mysis shrimp, scallop. It closes up nicely swallows it's dinner and opens back out again. If it isn't where it wants to be in the tank it rolls up into a ball and literally bounces to where it wants to be. It's a GOOD thing to have in the tank! Enjoy it!

As for the Aiptasia.....believe it or not (Go ahead, Greg argue with me LOL) There ARE some aiptasia that don't spread and live gracefully in the tank. I can't remember the name of the one you have there (I have one too and it's been there for months and NOT spread.) Don't panic about that particular one just watch it. It does have a big sting so don't put corals near it. It is an anemone but it eats really tiny things that are floating around naturally. My longnose butterfly loves to "bonk" it just for grins. Mine is only about an inch in diameter when completely open and it doesn't disappear into the rock when disturbed.

OK you all can argue with me but I researched these aiptasia and they aren't the virulent kind that spread like wildfire.

hummer
01-20-2007, 10:56 PM
thats cool jimmy how did you get them for free and give us a pic of the whole tank please...lol

RHAPALA
01-21-2007, 08:40 AM
well that is really sweet thats its a Flower Anemone bummer that my clowns wont host in it but thats ok too i guess and as for it rolling arounf the tank till it finds a spot well it did just that and i'm glad its still in the front ofthe tank where i can still see it ....................now for the Aiptasia well as soon as i read the post from Greg i removed the rock and gave it a fresh water dip it was at one time a dead rock but i'm sure i not only killed the Aiptasia but also killed alot of pods and what not. ...........and as a full tank shot i'm not ready for that i dont think there is still tons for me to do and seeing cash flow is slow right now (grumbles dang bills) but i get my lighting next month which will be great then i can start getting the tank the way i want it to be i hope hehe...............as for how i got them free is the guy was moving and sold alot of stuff befor i knew about it or maybe i'd have gotten some used equipment till i got the money for the new. but anyways those were left and he just passed them off to my wife and now they are enjoying my tank i hope.

AuntKaren
01-21-2007, 07:07 PM
Yeah, Jim........why haven't we seen the WHOLE tank huh? Huh?? Huh???

Elena309
02-05-2007, 10:01 AM
I had that anemone, my first one. The clown did not like it (but i did), and it died due to poor lighting. Shame on me for trying something without researching it first. I learned my lesson.