PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation on Frag Plugs?

Fatman
01-31-2007, 04:14 AM
Where to buy them? Not really interested in making them myself atm, I heard if you buy them uncured they can raise your alk/ph level to high and cause problems. Soooo .... anyone got solid links where to buy cured and un-cured???

jerryc
01-31-2007, 06:36 AM
I got 100 2'' round plugs off eBay for 18.00 including shipping
Don't thank id be able to make them for that.

Fatman
01-31-2007, 07:55 AM
I got 100 2'' round plugs off eBay for 18.00 including shipping
Don't thank id be able to make them for that.

I saw the ebay ones too but like I said my only worry is if their cured or not.
Defintely am keeping those on my mind.

jerryc
01-31-2007, 08:26 AM
The ones i got was spoused to be cured but i was like you don't trust them. So i put 5 or 6 at a time in the sump not enough to bother anything and
after a few days i add a few more.

hummer
01-31-2007, 09:02 AM
what about jojo i think he will make some

jojo22
01-31-2007, 12:25 PM
I can make them! The easiest way to cure them is to put them in the back of your toilet tank. They will get a water change every time you flush.

Fatman
01-31-2007, 12:47 PM
I can make them! The easiest way to cure them is to put them in the back of your toilet tank. They will get a water change every time you flush.

Is it ok to have a few in the tank curing? and usually how long do they take to cure? My house runs on well water and I'd be nervous curing them in that, because we have metals (not sure which ones) and sulphur in the water. Very annoying =/.

jojo22
01-31-2007, 01:12 PM
I would definately watch your PH. The cement will raise it very quickly.

JustDavidP
01-31-2007, 01:29 PM
Get rubble from Marco Rocks. They're the best for frag mounts.

D

Fatman
01-31-2007, 01:30 PM
I would definately watch your PH. The cement will raise it very quickly.

In a 60+ gallon system how many frags you think I can put to start cycling them?

PS: Ive never mentioned this is that your parrot? She/He is beautiful, I love cockatoos they have such a lovable personality. I had one for a few years, until it got ahold of some chocolate (lethal to them) and died .

jojo22
01-31-2007, 01:32 PM
I would add one or two at a time and watch that your ph does not go to high, if it is ok then add another one wait 24 hours and check again.

graphixx
01-31-2007, 03:58 PM
I agree with David, rubble is the best and its allready cured and just has a better look if its going into the tank. in my frag tanks I use the plugs cause seems like the flatter the surface the quicker you get encrusting happening on sps and qucker matting on like zoo's and stuff. But I do like the rubble better if its going in a tank.

JustDavidP
02-01-2007, 07:44 AM
Yep yep yep....

If fragging for swap at a Reef Club or something, I would use the frag caps. When fragging for friends who want "plug and play" or for myself, I use rubble. The caps are great to "grow out" frags as they stay upright quite easily. However, the rubble makes it REAL easy to stuff the frag into that nook or cranny on the reef in a more natural manner. Eventually, the entire frag encrusts the rubble and the nearby LR.

Dave

lReef lMlaster-old
02-09-2007, 10:38 PM
i use the ceramic plugs from this site www.edensgatecorals.com (i met the owner at a frag swap in cincinatti), because the ceramic plugs dont need to be cured as the cement and aragonite ones do. i use these for frags i do for others or for my frag sales part of the hobby. i use rubble when i frag something for myself.