PDA

View Full Version : New to Reefing Wanted: Coralline Algae

Whoyah
01-06-2005, 01:45 AM
So I recently realized that one of the things that my tank is missing, is very nice, heavy coralline algae coverage. I realized this when I was over at a local reefer's house this weekend and saw his dark purple rock compared to my white/tan rock. I have coralline algae in my tank but not like that.

My coralline algae grows well in the shady spots but it seem bleach out in direct light. I only get the pinkish white stuff in direct light. Several places that have high flow and low light (overflow drain, sump surfaces) have a nice cover. I know that intense light will kill coralline algae but I have a hard time believing my power compacts are really pumping out that much light compared to MH bulbs. My calcium is around 390-400. Could this be part of my problem? Any ideas?

Reptoreef
01-06-2005, 01:43 PM
A stable alk/ca is pretty crucial... BTW, there are diff types of coralline, some are fond of high lighting. I'm sure, with time, you'll see more growth as long as you're able to keep a stable ca/alk, though(ca high 300-mid 400/alk 9-11 DKH). Have you tested your mag, as well(1300-1350)?

Grandmaster_Toad
01-07-2005, 01:31 AM
I agree wih repto, coraline algae is a HUGE calcium lover. If there isnt enough calcium it simply wont grow.
GT

Whoyah
01-07-2005, 01:56 AM
Have you tested your mag, as well(1300-1350)?

No but I was considering getting a Mag test kit. On another thread, I believe "water chemistry", it was mentioned that IO, which I use, does not provide good mag levels. Could this part of the problem?

Reptoreef
01-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Definitely... IO only offers a mag of around 1100. IMO, slowly change your salt to Oceanic or Red Sea(my faves) or get that kit, test and add suppliments as neccessary.

Whoyah
01-08-2005, 06:58 PM
Since I have new bucket of IO, I will probably go with the test and add method. I told I would use Kent Tech M. Any opinions on the stuff?

davejnz
01-08-2005, 07:25 PM
I just started using it,kinda expensive if your gonna be using it to correct a 200-300 ppm deficiency,a cheaper fix would be to supplement epsom salts and just use the Tech M to maintain those levels.

davejnz
01-08-2005, 07:28 PM
BTW,I've always had great coralline growth with just dripping kalk 24/7.I just recently started adding Mag so i really cant report on its effectiveness yet

BUGZME
01-08-2005, 08:23 PM
repto: you don't use io salt? could you explain why you use another brand-- please

Reptoreef
01-08-2005, 08:35 PM
The Red Sea Salt is aka "dirty salt" due to a more natural unpurified mix helping to keep those natural levels of NSW. Oceanic seems to have been able to achieve those levels I desire while still appearing "cleaner".

BUGZME
01-08-2005, 08:42 PM
I've read alot about people having problems with oceanic salt, high levels of phosphate and nitrate. Eric told me that if i used it i wouldn't have to dose b-ionic everyday! how do you feel about his statement?

davejnz
01-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Your tank is gonna use alk/cal no matter what kinda salt you use so your still gonna have to dose,the alk tends to be low in Oceanic so you'll need more of that part,calcium is high so those values might be easier to maintain with less of that part of the 2-part product

dakar
01-08-2005, 10:16 PM
I agree with Dave, Oceanic is what we started with and now that's all we use here, right from the mix to ~1.024SG I measure Alk around 7dkh but Cal is 520ppm. Phosphates are measurable at our water source, 3ppm before RO/DI and barely measurable after, and hold about the same after the salt mix so no complaints there. I substituted IO once, that's a mistake I will never repeat, with a big water change in s smaller (55g) tank the chemistry differences were very dramatic, and the whole system did not react well at all.

So my nickel's worth, if you are going to changie salts, do it slowly and test at least daily.

Whoyah
01-08-2005, 11:52 PM
a cheaper fix would be to supplement epsom salts and just use the Tech M to maintain those levels

How do you go about fixing the Mg level with epsom salts?

davejnz
01-08-2005, 11:59 PM
I'll let Repto respond,he's got experience with using them and can probably give you amounts

Reptoreef
01-09-2005, 01:02 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html ...here's a link to a calculator that will surely be of help... Be sure to keep up on your water changes.

Reptoreef
01-09-2005, 01:06 AM
BTW, if you're too worried about long-term epsom use, here's a link to a homemade mag suppliment. http://web.archive.org/web/20030624220704/http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1999/june/bio/default.asp..

Whoyah
01-09-2005, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the links. We should consider adding a permanent link button on CR for the calculator. The second one seems to have problems though.

JustDavidP
01-12-2005, 02:37 PM
Whoyah...

Check out Reef Central and search for "Randy Holmes-Farley" and "epsom". Randy is an incredible chemist and reefer. He has written many articles about alk/calc and the use of additives such as epsom salts, calcium chloride etc.

Dave

PS....FWIW...I found that even with high calcium levels, I had problems with coraline algae growth. It wasn't until I got my alk down that I noticed a huge spike in growth. I use IO...and like it, but I also dose B-Ionics and do frequent water changes, so the lack of trace is not a problem. Finally, I use natural salt water all summer long.

Whoyah
01-12-2005, 11:01 PM
Check out Reef Central and search for "Randy Holmes-Farley" and "epsom"

Thanks for the tip. I will check it out when I ready to start messing with magnesium level. I have a Salifert's Mag test kit on order. It should be in soon.

It wasn't until I got my alk down that I noticed a huge spike in growth.

Down?? Where were you at and what level are you at now? My tank is pretty stable at 9.5.

Finally, I use natural salt water all summer long

Like from the ocean? Do you go down and throw a bucket in and take it home?

My Cal level was around 380 and I have raised it over the last two weeks to 450. Alk still at 9.5, pH 8.3 at lights out. Hopefully raising the Cal level and determining the Mag level and adjusting will bring on the PURPLE HAZE I am looking for.

JustDavidP
01-13-2005, 07:04 AM
Sorry... by "Down" I meant, understood. Once I understood the relationship between calium levels, PH and alkalinity, I was on my way to success.

I do use natural salt water, from the ocean, in the summer. I have a fishing boat and am often on wide open water (East of Martha's Vinyard, MA) fishing the canyons. I bring as many buckets as I can take, given the number of fishermen I bring on board. I let the water sit in 5 gallon buckets, in my basement, without light, heat, or water flow for a week or more. During that time, the water "settles out" and I can siphon off the better part of it and leave the sediments behind. I then use them, 10 gallons at a time, during water changes. The ONLY adjustment I have to make is that the calcium levels of the NSW up here in MA are low. I use my B-Ionics to get the water into shape and viola.

My corals love it. When I do the water changes, they open like you wouldn't believe. I never see that same reaction when I use store bought salts and made water.

It sounds like you got your levels up to par too. It'll take a little while before you see any real noticible difference, but I'm sure that on a micro level, your system is healthier for it already.

Dave

Whoyah
01-29-2005, 04:56 PM
I got my Mg Test kit yesterday. Tank measures at 1030. :-? I used the online calculator, I would need to add just over two pounds of Epsom salt or 32 oz of Kent Tech M. to get to 1400 :shock: The calculator says to mix with Epsom salt with RO water and slow add to tank. Any suggestions how much and how often to add? I kind of figured, that I would use the Epsom to get me up and them Tech M to maintain.

I think will also venture of to Reef Central and check out the suggested reading on Randy Holmes-Farley.

davejnz
01-29-2005, 10:14 PM
I agree David,I'm fortunate to live right next to the Atlantic.I take my boat out on the incoming tide just outside of Ponce Inlet to collect NSW.My LFS uses it exclusively and i've always had a favorable response from my corals when using it.Most of the time,I use it freshly collected but my LFS filters theirs through a 5 micron bag.I like to collect mostly during the winter because the water is clearer then.Of course winter here is only 40 at the worst and thats only for a couple weeks.The calcium level here is around 400ppm and the alk is usually 7-8dKH.