PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Lighting suggestions for our new 180

dakar
09-19-2004, 11:23 PM
Okay since I am stuck on the fence about which way to go with lighting for out new 180g tank I'm curious to what everyone else thinks. This tank will house primaraily softies and such we love them as they are such good growers and are move active to watch, some LPS, but I may later decide to add in a bit of SPS as well if I can keep the water quality balanced enough for both to stay happy. My original plan was 8 T5's (4 10K 4 actinics), or T5 actinics and overdriving 6 6500K NO T8's, but now considering 3 175/250 MH and supplement with a couple T5 Actinics. 3 400w MH seems like overkill for what I'm looking to keep).

Keep in mind I'll be dealling with a moderate budget, whacha all think?

Reptoreef
09-19-2004, 11:29 PM
3 250 watt are the best recommended as a standard, IMO, however, it is said time and time, again..."there is no such thing as too much light"... I have to agree. If you ever plan on any upgrade, why not just go there now and save a lot of time, $$$, and hassle?

dakar
09-19-2004, 11:33 PM
That's exactly what I am trying to avoid, although I am quite pleased with results of the PC's on the 55, but don't want to go that route with the big tank as I know I'll change my mind later as at 24" deep I'll lose too much light at greater depths.

Whoyah
09-20-2004, 01:25 AM
I know you can have a super tank with fluorescents but the vast majority seem like they go with MH. Not sure on this but I think MH are cheaper in the long run for replacement bulbs. Definitelyfinetly something to consider.