PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Prtostra

speedstar
09-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Mulit colored base and polyps. Can't wait to grow it out. Anyone have any pics of a full colony? can you install a pluggin to auro resize pics unless clicked for full res?

http://home.comcast.net/~polishedball/rba.JPG

The Rugger
09-03-2009, 01:04 PM
I have yet to venture into the SPS world with My tank. I have 2X150 MH and have some soft corals. I have kept my fish population SPS safe as I have been preping to go this way for some time. My water parms are right on for what I have. What will I need to adjust to take on SPS? My water flow is medium at best with some high flow areas. I have kept my Ca levels at or around 450 ppm. What are some good starters?

graphixx
09-03-2009, 03:28 PM
great starter sps corals: montipora digitata is a great hardy coral... montipora capricornus (plating monti) another hardy sps... stay away from the acros and milli's they are a little trickier digitatas and montis are what I "cut my teeth" on getting into sps.

both type of corals come in very nice colors and add some great texture and lines in the tank as well

The Rugger
09-03-2009, 03:34 PM
So other than adding food for these, nothing else changes?

graphixx
09-03-2009, 03:38 PM
if your parameters are in check and you have good lighting you really do not need to supplement to feed these corals... they will pull right out of the water collum and lighting to get everything they need to grow.

speedstar
09-03-2009, 08:34 PM
but if you have excellent filtration and good parameters, feeding heavy, though it can be dangerous can really help. My chips acro grabs cyclopeze all the time. Now if it does anything to help growth can be discussed, but i say yes.

jimsflies
09-03-2009, 09:24 PM
I have had feeding reaction on both acros and montis feeding rotifeast. They actually will send out a white filament out of the polyp to catch the rotifers.

speedstar
09-03-2009, 09:46 PM
I've been using oyster feast seems to really perk up the feeding response.

The Rugger
09-17-2009, 12:50 PM
great starter sps corals: montipora digitata is a great hardy coral... montipora capricornus (plating monti) another hardy sps... stay away from the acros and milli's they are a little trickier digitatas and montis are what I "cut my teeth" on getting into sps.

both type of corals come in very nice colors and add some great texture and lines in the tank as well

What about zoos? I have read they are pretty easy. I added some yellow zoos some time back and they didn't make. I have been hesitant to try again.

graphixx
09-17-2009, 01:42 PM
zoo's and rics are pretty low maintenance... easy light and moderate flow and they do pretty good!!

Mike
09-26-2009, 09:12 PM
I had a full colony that looked like that ;) I think I sold it to you when the baby was born.