PDA

View Full Version : Tanks, Sumps & Refugiums patching drilled tanks

dakar
09-19-2004, 11:40 PM
I picked up a couple of freebie's a 20g and 29g tanks, might want to use them as a sump and refuge for the 180, but they have both ben drilled on the bottom panel for whatever reason. Any reason why siliconing a 10x10" square piece of glass over the holes, using silicone under and around the edges of the 'patches shoudn't hold ?

Reptoreef
09-20-2004, 02:16 PM
Should be fine... I recommend using plexi-glass, though.

dakar
09-20-2004, 03:11 PM
Plexi? Nothing out there to bond plexi to glass very well. Think I found my solution though, just gonna pick up a cheapo 55g to use as a sump/fuge instead of trying to combine the 29's, this way one less pump to fail and spill water all over the place. Not to mention no holes to try to patch over.

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
09-21-2004, 12:31 AM
Dakar,

I know they sell plugs to fill the drilled overflow holes. I'm not sure where to get them though. A quick search of the net should come up with something.

By the way, where did you find the 29G and 20G freebies? I never find free tanks, lol.

Angie

dakar
09-21-2004, 12:59 AM
Free... hmmm depends on perspective, They were thrown in to the deal when I picked up the 180 and stand, could have had half a dozen more if i was greedy or hadmore room, but my truck was full. Kinda makes up for being stupid and forgetting to put a strap over the stand doors.... lost one between GreenBay and the Dells, good thing it was after midnight, that might have hurt someone. But now I get to build 4 new doors, I can't match the panel bit that was used on the original ones.