PDA

View Full Version : TapaTalk - CaptiveReefs on iPhone, Android, Blackberries & Nokia!

jimsflies
09-29-2009, 11:20 PM
If you have an iPhone, you can access CR with a streamlined interface. You can read, view photos, reply, start threads, and PM other members using your iphone. To use this feature an iphone app must be purchased from a third party vendor through the iTunes App Store. The app is called tapatalk and is $2.99. More info for users can be found at tapatalk's website (http://www.tapatalk.com/iphone/).

Of course you can also use the iPhone Safari browser to also interface with CaptiveReefs in the normal fashion.

igot2gats
09-30-2009, 07:09 PM
Is this soley for the iPhone, or can it be used with Blackberrys? My phone contract coming up in December, & I'm thinking about getting a flip phone blackberry that's almost identical to the iPhone - The Krave.

I've never had any kind of smart phone before, so I'd be very interested if this could work for a blackberry type phone.

jimsflies
09-30-2009, 09:23 PM
Right now it is just for the iphone. I imagine the app developer would add other popular models as time goes.

You should still be able to use CR on the go, but it probably isn't going to be as neatly shrunk as the tapatalk app makes the site.

jimsflies
12-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Just an update, for those with Androids and Nokias, you can access CaptiveReefs via the tapatalk application. To get the add visit the Android market and download the tapatalk application. There is a free version and a paid version.

I will also be working on a mobile theme that will not require the tapatalk application and will work across all phone platforms with a browser.

jimsflies
05-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Just an update...members with BlackBerry devices can now download the free beta Tapatalk by visiting http://www.tapatalk.com/bb from your blackberry.

Here is the latest promotional info from Tapatalk (although it doesn't mention the beta for blackberries):

Tapatalk is a mobile forum app for iPhone / Android and soon to be on Blackberry and Nokia. Tapatalk supports all the usual forum functions plus full screen image viewing, image upload, caching (less reload), private messaging, all these features are accessible in just a few simple taps.

Tapatalk for iPhone:
Showing New and Unread Posts:
http://www.quoord.com/tmp/iphone/IMG_0036.png

Full Thread Viewing and Pagination Support:
http://www.quoord.com/tmp/iphone/IMG_0037.png

See Who's Online:
http://www.quoord.com/tmp/iphone/IMG_0038.png

Reply to Post and Image Upload:
http://www.quoord.com/tmp/iphone/IMG_0041.png

Some of the large forums activated Tapatalk support
http://www.quoord.com/tmp/iphone/IMG_0042.png

Tapatalk for Android

Total Android Look and Feel
http://www.quoord.com/tmp/android/main.png

Same feature set as iPhone:
http://www.quoord.com/tmp/android/threadmenu.png

Quickly Reply to a conversation:
http://www.quoord.com/tmp/android/thread_bottom_menu.png

Latest and Unread Posts indicator and multi-tabs support:
http://www.quoord.com/tmp/android/latest-v.png

Full screen image support - support landscape mode also
http://www.quoord.com/tmp/android/imageview.png

Check out http://www.tapatalk.com for more information!

pjr
05-03-2010, 10:36 PM
What's the advantage of using tapatank vs just a browser to access the site?

jimsflies
05-03-2010, 10:58 PM
For me, I prefer accessing the site directly because I can see the chatbox and other features. However, accessing via tapatalk is a bit faster as it's a pretty streamlined style. If you were in an error with a slow connection, you would be better off with tapatalk. The idea with offering this is, it gives members a choice of how to access the site when they are on their mobile device.

pjr
05-04-2010, 07:57 AM
thx for the info Jim!!

jimsflies
05-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Testing from iphone @10k feet!

pjr
05-04-2010, 08:27 AM
LOL it worked Jim!

ReeferRob
05-04-2010, 08:33 AM
I like tapatalk mostly at work. I can very quickly pop in and see what's happening. Quick easy and painless. If I need to view chat or other features, I then of course log in with safari. But I love my tapatalk!!

MizTanks
05-04-2010, 05:24 PM
I love my taptalk too!! Actually I love my iPhone-only use my laptop bout once a week since I got my phone.

pjr
06-26-2010, 06:42 PM
I'm going to try this today... thanks Jim!

pjr
06-26-2010, 07:16 PM
Man that was easy!

jimsflies
06-26-2010, 08:33 PM
We like easy! :easy_button:

vmbfreekz33
06-27-2010, 02:20 AM
Testing via my. blackberry storm

jimsflies
06-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Just installed the latest code here on CR...combined with the most up to date app for your device, you will have the latest/greatest.

pjr
06-28-2010, 07:43 AM
Jim rocks as usual!

fawkes
06-28-2010, 11:26 AM
I have bee using this on my Moto Droid for months. Some things are easier than the web site, but there are downsides too.

Hopkins
06-28-2010, 11:41 AM
I use tapatalk on my Blackberry Bold, and it works great!

jimsflies
09-29-2010, 08:04 PM
I just updated the tapatalk running on CR. Be sure to update your apps to get the latest features.

Enjoy!

Hopkins
09-29-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm on my new iPhone 4g... This is the best 2.99 I have spent in a while.

jimsflies
09-29-2010, 08:11 PM
I gotta get one of those $2.99 iphones!

jimsflies
11-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Just updated the tapatalk again today. Should be some new features...if you have any problems please let me know.

tazzy695
11-05-2010, 07:23 AM
mine gets updated regularly it was well worth the $2.99 for the program although I do wish they would get feature to enable chat

jolson10450
11-05-2010, 07:46 AM
a question for you iphone users, i visit these forums a lot but thats really it besides facebook, what data plan do you use? the 200mb or the 2gb?

i currently have ATT and im debating still on just upgradeing to an Iphone or switching my service and getting a driod from verizon or evo from sprint.

jimsflies
11-05-2010, 07:55 AM
I think I have unlimited...they must have changed it up since I signed the contract.

jolson10450
11-05-2010, 07:59 AM
yeah they changed it sometime this year, in june i think, well my upgrade was in august so i debated switching, but now i am thinking i want to stay ATT because the gf has att so right now its free calls from me to her, if i switch i may have to go more minutes etc... to talk to her. is there a setting on your phone that tells you how many mb you use a month? if so can you let me know im trying to get a good guess here

jimsflies
01-20-2011, 12:52 PM
I have a favor to ask from Tapa Talk users... Can you guys turn off the signature option with in Tapa Talk. Please setup your signatures here on CR if you want one. The problem with the Tapa Talk signature is it becomes a permanent part of your post. Whereas if you decide to change your signature in the future on CR, the CR signature will change on all of your posts.

Its really a pet peave more than anything. But I suppose a 100,000 members (someday..:)...we can all dream) worth of signatures could make a blip on the database storage.

MizTanks
01-20-2011, 01:50 PM
I use tapa talk and I also access CR via safari on my iPhone. Safari allows me to view and use CR as if I were on my laptop, smaller version but it works. I can chat, post pic, pm all of it.
I just set the websight to my home screen and I'm there, signed in and chatting in a min.

steve&mari
01-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Turned off Jim:)
Steve

jimsflies
01-20-2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks Steve :)

jimsflies
02-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Just updated tapatalk today. Not sure what all the new stuff is since I couldn't locate a change log.

But you may notice a change or two.

Hopkins
02-12-2011, 10:15 PM
We need something for the iPad! Do you know when tapatalk is going to release a compatible version?

jimsflies
02-17-2011, 08:47 PM
Just a heads up to tapatalk users, we are doing some customizations to tapatalk and you may have a few issues this evening.

Rook
02-17-2011, 09:47 PM
Just wanted to say, TapaTalk rules. Very user friendly and very fast. I wish all forums used it, I now find my self disappointed by other forums I use that don't use Tapatalk, even though they have custimized Iphone setups.

jimsflies
02-17-2011, 11:03 PM
For me it's a love/hate situation. One thing I hate is the extra signature it adds to posts. I wished as admin, I could disable that. There are other things that would be nice to customize as well, but options are pretty limited with the application. However, I do like the end user application and think it is fast and fairly well laid out.

vBulletin is rolling out custom applications that would be available per site. For example, CR could have its own app and RC would have its own app. For someone visiting a lot of forums, it might be a pain to keep a bunch of separate apps updated. I'm not sure if that will be as popular as one app that works on all (who have it installed).

As for special CR customizations that I am working on, Tapatalk users will notice the extra fields are now (sort of) showing up in the buying and selling areas. There are some fields that still have their wires crossed (wrong info in the wrong field type stuff) and one minor formatting issue. But hopefully tomorrow I will get that fixed and you will be able to see all extra field info (e.g., price).

jimsflies
02-17-2011, 11:04 PM
For me it's a love/hate situation. One thing I hate is the extra signature it adds to posts. I wished as admin, I could disable that. There are other things that would be nice to customize as well, but options are pretty limited with the application. However, I do like the end user application and think it is fast and fairly well laid out.

vBulletin is rolling out custom applications that would be available per site. For example, CR could have its own app and RC would have its own app. For someone visiting a lot of forums, it might be a pain to keep a bunch of separate apps updated. I'm not sure if that will be as popular as one app that works on all (who have it installed).

As for special CR customizations that I am working on, Tapatalk users will notice the extra fields are now (sort of) showing up in the buying and selling areas. There are some fields that still have their wires crossed (wrong info in the wrong field type stuff) and one minor formatting issue. But hopefully tomorrow I will get that fixed and you will be able to see all extra field info (e.g., price).

spartyblaze
02-17-2011, 11:15 PM
Love tapatalk... Great program. I wish I could get my forum for sleep techs to work with it

jimsflies
02-21-2011, 08:47 PM
We're now running the newest version of tapatalk which has been customized to work with some of our CR features. Enjoy!

jimsflies
03-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Doing some work on tapatalk this morning. It is possible that it could give you an error. I'll update this thread when I'm done.

jimsflies
03-17-2011, 10:25 AM
Ok...that appeared to have went well. It looks like I am done for now. :)

CR is currently running the latest version of a which will support new features being released in the tapatalk app for android this Friday and iphone late next week.

Hopefully this version also fixes some of the issues that members have brought to my attention. I have tested it and have not been able to reproduce the posting errors that some have reported. If you have issues, please let me know.

dlhirst
03-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Seems to work much better, Jim. I'll have to upload a pic tomorrow for the ultimate test, though.

Thanks !

MizTanks
03-18-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm still having issues with Tapatalk. Error issue=gotta wait 20 seconds before posting. So I just cancel, refresh and the post pops up.

jimsflies
03-18-2011, 10:27 PM
I'm still having issues with Tapatalk. Error issue=gotta wait 20 seconds before posting. So I just cancel, refresh and the post pops up.

Every time? I tested the other day and couldn't reproduce the problem. Keep track of when it happens and let me know if it's not all the time.

dlhirst
03-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Jim, sadly it did just give me that 30 second warning again, just moments ago on my Mobile Zoas post. But I actually have two devices open, so I can see that it did post.

jimsflies
03-19-2011, 02:58 PM
I wonder if it is a bug with the current version of the tapatalk app. I've got an older version I am posting from right now.

Btw- If you get the 30 second warning, it means your post went through.

There should be a new app out next week. Let's hope the bug gets fixed then.

I'll continue to research the problem.

MizTanks
04-01-2011, 05:28 PM
Jim something else keeps coming up~every time I try to text using my iPhone and our chat room, the key board keeps closing. I'm wondering if this is a TapaTalk isses as it doesn't happing while texting from 1 phone to another.

jimsflies
04-01-2011, 06:27 PM
My iphone does it all the time on any site...very annoying. But I don't think it is a chat thing.

Further, tapatalk is completely seperate from the chat...tapatalk doesn't even know chat is there.

Hopkins
04-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Works on the iPad now too!