PDA

View Full Version : Nano Reef Aquarium (3g-34g) Miz 8g Nano

Pages : [1] 2

MizTanks
10-08-2009, 08:32 PM
This is my first SW, so ya'll with the biggins no laughing. No I don't think ya'll would really laugh....

jojo22
10-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Looks to me like your off to a great start, nothing to laugh at there.

Rabidgoose
10-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Looking good, what size is it?

MizTanks
10-08-2009, 09:17 PM
8g biocube. I didn't really think ya'll would laugh, but I do sometimes when I see these 100/200g tanks. Just thinking about the work I've put into this lil one, jeeez.

ReeferRob
10-08-2009, 09:18 PM
For your first tank, it rocks!
Where are you exactly?

MizTanks
10-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Marquette, Mi. Upper peninsula! Da yooper trap don't ya know!!!

Sir Patrick
10-08-2009, 09:48 PM
You got a great start there! Nice.

Mike
10-08-2009, 09:50 PM
looks very nice and we are happy to a Yooper with us Southerners :)

jojo22
10-08-2009, 10:18 PM
8g biocube. I didn't really think ya'll would laugh, but I do sometimes when I see these 100/200g tanks. Just thinking about the work I've put into this lil one, jeeez.

In all honesty, the smaller the tank the harder it can be to keep. While you may not experience as large of a hit to the wallet, you have a smaller water volume. This creates issues ranging from water chemistry to stocking problems. You are more limited in the animals you can use to help with problems such as pests, nuisance algae, fish waste removal and others.

So to think you have it easier is in a single word...wrong, you have it much harder, and rest assured if you can keep that tank up and going, you can keep just about any size tank your heart and wallet allows.

thefishgirl
10-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Your tank looks great! I have a 3g Pico too.. so don't let that 300g fool you! It's much harder to keep a small tank than it is a big tank! So take your kudos, MizTanks!!!

MizTanks
10-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks! As far a water parameters go it's been pretty smooth sailing buuuut, keeping fish alive is a whole nother story.....

graphixx
10-09-2009, 01:29 PM
there is NO ROOM to laugh at that tank..... MARVELOUS!! some of the prettiest tanks I have EVER seen have been under 10 gallons.

that will mature into a beautiful tank... you are well on your way!!!

jimsflies
10-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Yeah...looking better than my tank right now. Great job!

Sir Patrick
11-03-2009, 11:15 PM
So-

How is that PJ and pod population doing? Notice a difference?

Also curiouse how that stressed batch of zoas are working out for you.

MizTanks
11-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Pod pop is gone! So far I've had to dispose 4 of the frags out of 7. Of which 1 of them is still iffy, out of the 6 polyps only 2 have opened up. So all in all I've got 2 out of 7 frags that look good. As of yet the seller's done nothing about it. Last I spoke with him, which was last week he wanted me to pay shipping for the replacements. I told him no prob, just let me know when and how much. Said he'd send me pic's of the replacements this past weekend, never did and I haven't heard from him since. So I paid 80$ for 2 descent frags, both looking very much alike. Makes me mad but what ya gonna do. I wont buy from him again is all.

igot2gats
11-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Yep, like others have said - smaller tanks are def harder to manage.

HOWEVER....don't let anyone fool you - you made the right choice of going small starting out. Once you master a small tank, you'll be able to manage a larger one if/when you upgrade.

Going big as a 1st tank in this hobby is pretty risky if you ask me. What happens if you don't like it or can't keep up with it? Then, you've spent a lot of money on something that isn't for you...a waste of time & waste of a lot of money.

Your tank looks good. Give it time to grow, & you'll appreciate it more.

whitetiger61
11-08-2009, 06:33 AM
tank looks very good. cant wait to see it mature..dont worry about them zoa's, they can surprise you. just when you think you are going to lose them they spring back up. ive had that happen a few times. Ive had zoa's stay closed for over a week then open up. I think its self preservation and clean method they have. Great tank keep at it.

Rick

tazzy695
11-09-2009, 08:01 AM
I agree about the zoas dont write them off unless they are melted off the rock or frag plugs I have seen them close up for 2+ months and then when you are thinking they are dead and will never open again bam it wakes up and you can enjoy them again

also +1 on the smaller tank is harder actualy much harder but a larger tank within reason isnt nessicarly more expensive I have know people that built tiny 8g tanks and cost them the same it would have to setup a 55 or 75 tank

MizTanks
11-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Few pic's of my old and new zoa's, a nice piece of Xmas Tree Favia and my little hitch hiker crab~who's not touching my corals but eating detritus like crazy~lil goby and his buddy too! Not bad colors for compacts right?

Sir Patrick
11-25-2009, 07:49 PM
I really like the second to last polyp pic!! Very cool lookin!

jojo22
11-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Looking nice, should be a cool tank when it matures

MizTanks
11-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Just one of those days where everything looks wonderful! Look at that Favia eat~Every zoa open! Man oh man salt water is amazing!!!

MizTanks
11-29-2009, 11:25 AM
Not sure what happened but while doing a wc and picking off algae~I inadvertently lost a shroom~and another isn't looking so good~like it may be melting~I kept it submerged in the tank water I had removed while picking~maybe it being so young had something to do with it.

jojo22
11-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Give it time, it may open back up, most shrooms I have seen are pretty though IME!

MizTanks
11-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks jojo and thanks for reading this thread~means a lot knowing I'm not just talking to myself~questions for ya~at the moment I'm not using any kind of filtration aside form the LR in the tank~do I need to be using some sort of filter floss or fiber to help remove the larger particles? I do have a small piece in the pump housing to keep debris from getting into the pump~changing it with every WC.

whitetiger61
11-29-2009, 03:38 PM
like jojo says shrooms are pretty tough..was the temp of the water you put back into the tank close to the same temp of the tank..i have seen my shrooms do that if i forgot to keep the water close to tank temp..they always come back though..

Rick

MizTanks
11-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Temp was the same~I'm thinking I may have messed with em while picking the algae off ~little hands all thumbs.

whitetiger61
11-29-2009, 03:44 PM
they will open back up..something happened to upset them ..once they are over that they will open back up

Rick

MizTanks
12-01-2009, 03:10 PM
It's so funny~but all's I gotta do is look at lil Miz Kenya tree and I know it's time fer a WC~she was all bowed over like she had the weight of the ocean on her shoulders~not 15min after the WC~taaaaadaaaa looking like the statue of liberty~did a bunch of algae picking and it really seems to be helping~I mean it's still there but hasn't seemed to spread and is growing less.

Did have me a little fright~got up to see what I thought was a dead BLH~nope he just molted!!!
Since I've stopped feeding frozen so much my peppermint shrimp is running all over the tank looking for little morsels of food~she isn't happy!! Nor has my PJ cardinal taken to any of the new food. Still wont eat nothing but the frozen I give 1x a week.

I still haven't caught my Xanthidae crab~at least I think that's what it is~I was watching him around one of my Green Implosion polyps~he appeared to be picking something off the surface of the stem but was not pinching the stem it's self per say~still I'd feel a little better if he wasn't in there even though he doesn't seem to be bothering anything.

My tank looks wonderful~is doing wonderful~all parameters are wonderful~woot woot!!

Update: Did WC with new water source~parameters are as follows~cal=420~kh=10~sg=1.025~ph=8.2

Sir Patrick
12-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Keep up the great work!!

MizTanks
12-01-2009, 10:00 PM
The first pic is of some star polyps~I don't know the name of em~a friend of mines husband was tearing down his 75g tank~gave these to me along with some fishes that were to big for my tank.

MizTanks
12-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Time fer a WC~and more algae pickin~I've never in all my years of keeping fish had to battle with algae like I am having to do now with my SW~I have a 75g FW sitting directly in front of an eastern window~algae~nadda~I have a 26g bow front in my bedroom where it gets about 2hrs of direct sunlight (when its shining)~algae~nadda~I'm actually beginning to wonder if I'm doing too many water changes?

Update: WC 1 1/2g
sg=1.025
ph=8.2
cal=400
kh=10

MizTanks
12-09-2009, 07:37 PM
LOL~got up this morning and one of my zoa frags was totally berried~what the heck?

Then I saw the butt of my pistol shrimp come out from under a rock and started throwing sand all over the place~little bugger. I think a bristle worm took over his little cave and so he was looking fer a new home. Just another perk of having a small tank~I get to see this kind of stuff!

MizTanks
01-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Yep here I am again~complaining about my tank~which I don't even want to look at anymore~algae isn't going away no matter how much I pick~actually is seems to be getting worse~I'm using the best water source available to me at this time~I'm doing 2x weekly WC~it's no longer getting any sort of day light~no nitrate factories~chemipure elite, phosphate sponge and carbon~all to no avail~and now turbo snails are dieing off~most likely starving due to they wont eat the algae off the LR~all my coraline has died off~and my radioactive dragon eye zoas are taking a big turn for the worse~but everything else in the tank is doing wonderful.
Do ya'll think that having bristle worms and a peanut worm digging around in the LR is releasing nutrients?
It was suggested to me that I use a soft tooth brush to clean off the LR~Wrong thing to do cause now it's on LR that before was algae free~no I didn't do it in tank~I used separate buckets.
I cant afford a UV sterilizer nor a RO/DI unit~not that I think any one of which would help at this point~I'm really starting to think that maybe I don't belong in this hobby.......

whitetiger61
01-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Jamie

take a deep breath and calm down..now that i got good pics we can do something..my 30 gal is going through the same thing..im trying a few things and i will let you know how it goes..

Rick

MizTanks
01-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Tanks looking better these days~algae seems to be receding a bit~got a couple of Margarita snails who seem to be doing a little munching~I also bought a tiny little pp shrimp, I really like these shrimp~I picked up a Flower Rock Anemone who so far hasn't found it's self the perfect spot to call home~For some reason my GSP's are not doing so well~no idea why.
My tank is now 8 months old!

ReeferRob
01-24-2010, 11:28 AM
Aah, welcome to the world of anemones. Thats what they do, move. It'll find a spot soon hopefully.

By the way if you want to hold off on spending at your LFS, and save up for some shipping, I will be happy to send you a little "care package" with some Bella Donnas and some other goodies! Just pay shipping only, I have the thermal boxes and the corals!!!!

MizTanks
01-24-2010, 05:41 PM
Aah, welcome to the world of anemones. Thats what they do, move. It'll find a spot soon hopefully.

By the way if you want to hold off on spending at your LFS, and save up for some shipping, I will be happy to send you a little "care package" with some Bella Donnas and some other goodies! Just pay shipping only, I have the thermal boxes and the corals!!!!

Yahoooooooo thank you Rob!!! Bella Donnas are beautiful!!!~just let me know what shipping would be.

MizTanks
01-25-2010, 02:26 PM
From 6/11/09 til 1/11/2010

MizTanks
01-31-2010, 11:04 PM
From 6/11/09 til 1/11/2010

While y'all were at the swap I was able to order me a medi rack with all the trimmings~submersible led~chemipure~3pk of filter fiber~nano korila 250gph but that would be to much flow~I got greedy~but I did have my 26g in mind~I also got a SW tap ro unit~3 stage filtration from Kent~y'all say a prayer cause iffin this doesn't help~ I just may need to start anew~ tank looks terrible.

Sir Patrick
01-31-2010, 11:35 PM
Your tank looks AWSOME!!! All your polyps are lookin very happy and healthy! Yeah- there is a tiny bit of green hear and there, but that is all part of the game.

Your being too critical miz!!:tongue_out:

Great buy on the RO water! Its just another one of those steps to becoming a seasoned hobiest! Keep up the great work! You are obviously doing things right!

ReeferRob
02-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Your tank is a rockin' love that little favia you have!

MizTanks
02-01-2010, 02:34 PM
First pic what they used to look like~second as is now. Thanks guys for being *nice* but this tank is going down hill fast~my GSP's are barely opening they look awful~my radio active DE are getting choked out by algae~ya'll have seen the candy cane it's still the same~I've also lost 3 snails in the last 3-4 weeks. Bet ya'll thought I was done complaining~NOT! lol

Argent
02-01-2010, 02:39 PM
MizTanks - I don't think the Korelia Nano will be overkill - I ran one in my 8G BioCube with a Maxi-Jet 900 for the return pump and didn't have too much flow - ideally you want like a lot of turnover :)

MizTanks
02-02-2010, 05:34 PM
MizTanks - I don't think the Korelia Nano will be overkill - I ran one in my 8G BioCube with a Maxi-Jet 900 for the return pump and didn't have too much flow - ideally you want like a lot of turnover :)

Thanks Argent~I was sort of bummed out having bought it without knowing if the tank could take the flow or not~again I just did what was recommended. I'm also gonna go look for a new pump~one I got now is making to much noise for me~and now 1 of my moon leds is really dimm~fans don't work most of the time and when they do they screech something aweful~but by the time I'm done it'll be a whole new tank~never say die!!! Woot Woot!!!

p.s. the polyps above has good flow on em so I don't know what the heck is going on with em.

Sir Patrick
02-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Miz- any chance of getting a pic of that stuff on a zoa/paly polyp??

MizTanks
02-04-2010, 04:31 PM
That's about the best pic I can get~it's rusty brown and when I used a soft bristle tooth brush on it none came off~so I'm assuming that it's hard~and it's spreading all over that rock~on another note I was able to pick up a *blue spot sea hare*~woot woot~the LFS got one in today about the size of a 50cent piece~perfect for the job at hand~man oh man is she cute~in an ugly sort of way :)~I did try the Koralia power head~just about blew my tank apart~talk about going with the flow~I just might up my stock pump to a mj900~put a new atenic in last night~couldn't believe how pretty it was~never knew how bad the old one was until I changed it~tonite I'm going to feed my Duncun for the first time~bought some new PE mysis shrimp~good stuff!! Well that's about it for now~will post pic's later~today my tank is looking awesome!!!

rickgarant
02-04-2010, 04:38 PM
it is easyer to fill the smaller tanks but looks very nice

MizTanks
02-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Oops~tried to add these to the post above~anyways here she is~along with my new Duncun!

thefishgirl
02-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Nice sea hare!!

tazzy695
02-05-2010, 12:55 AM
looks good

looks like you are starting to get a handel on that algae too

Sent from my MB200 using Tapatalk

whitetiger61
02-05-2010, 06:15 AM
really nice blue spot..you need to setup another tank and grow an algae factory for him so when he's done with your tank he will have something to eat..i know hair algae is a sore spot with you, but i dont think they eat anything else..your tank is looking great.

Rick

MizTanks
02-05-2010, 11:17 AM
It'll be a while before she finishes with my tank~from there she'll go to a friend who's having some issues too~his tank is bigger~so she'll fit right in~sort of a community hare :)

whitetiger61
02-05-2010, 11:18 AM
cool..but you will be surprised on how fast it will eat that stuff

Rick

MizTanks
02-10-2010, 12:28 PM
FTS~My new Duncun~Sea Hare

Argent
02-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Aww he's cute!

MizTanks
02-12-2010, 09:13 AM
I just love posting pictures of my tank~can't believe it's 8months old already!!

MizTanks
02-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Update: Sea Hare is doing nothing on my HA~I mean nothing and I fear she's gonna starve~I thought they ate HA~even on the LR.

Sir Patrick
02-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Alot of times, sea hares prefer the shorter algea in the tank, and will ignore the longer peices. When the sea hare takes care of the short stuff, pick the longer stuff till its nice and short. Sea hare may be more likly to eat it then.

jojo22
02-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Looking nice!

MizTanks
02-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Today I started using: Chem-Marin Stop Hair Algae. I know how most everyone feels about using chemicals for a quick fix to any issues reef related~but desperate times has called for desperate measures~all but a few of my radio active dragon eyes have been choked out~it is also smothering out my green implosions~not 1 new frag do I put into my tank goes longer then 2 weeks without showing signs of HA~I've done everything I can to find/fix any source issues~have bought an RO unit~2x weekly WC~clean filter media daily~all to no avail~you all know~any ways this morning I treated a couple of the more prevalent spots~just now I went in to see how it was coming along~I saw the HA but it had lost most of it's green color~I then picked it off the LR and dang if it ALL didn't come off the rock~not even a green spot left behind~I'll continue to treat until the majority of it is gone~I'll keep ya'll posted.

MizTanks
02-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Today I started using: Chem-Marin Stop Hair Algae. I know how most everyone feels about using chemicals for a quick fix to any issues reef related~but desperate times has called for desperate measures~all but a few of my radio active dragon eyes have been choked out~it is also smothering out my green implosions~not 1 new frag do I put into my tank goes longer then 2 weeks without showing signs of HA~I've done everything I can to find/fix any source issues~have bought an RO unit~2x weekly WC~clean filter media daily~all to no avail~you all know~any ways this morning I treated a couple of the more prevalent spots~just now I went in to see how it was coming along~I saw the HA but it had lost most of it's green color~I then picked it off the LR and dang if it ALL didn't come off the rock~not even a green spot left behind~I'll continue to treat until the majority of it is gone~I'll keep ya'll posted.

Update: Checked the treated spots again this morning~picking was not necessary as the treated spots were completely clean~as of yet there seems to be no harmful effects on near by corals, fish or inverts.
I applied another dose on several other spots this a.m.~some of which being as close to my zoa's as possible without putting it directly on them.

tazzy695
02-18-2010, 09:17 AM
cool glad it is working

is that stuff like a paste or somthing

MizTanks
02-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Not a paste~however it does seem to thicken when it comes into contact with the water~it actually adheres to the algae therefor coating it~since I have some that is sort of long I decided to apply it at the bottom of the algae~see how it goes. But yes it's working!

MizTanks
02-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Sadly my blue spot sea hare has died~seems a bristle worm decided to pull the remains into the smallest hole possible~of course most of it wouldn't fit~I've been doing clean up crew.
The chem-marin is def working on the HA~it's working best when it is applied directly onto the LR that's covered and not onto the HA it's self although that works too~when applied directly onto the HA the flow will blow it off~turning off the flow helps. All my corals are looking wonderful~fishes are doing great~the saga continues.....

MizTanks
02-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Before Chem-Marin~3 days after first treatment~I'm using it on the more infected areas~directly within the zoa's~as you can see there's been no effects on the zoa's at all.

Argent
02-25-2010, 12:05 PM
Looking good! glad you finally found something that works!

Sir Patrick
02-25-2010, 02:27 PM
Very nice! I see a huge difference!!

tazzy695
02-25-2010, 04:02 PM
looking good definitely need a new fts

MizTanks
02-26-2010, 12:31 PM
FTS taken today~along with my Duncun of which I'm very proud of.

MizTanks
02-26-2010, 12:51 PM
FTS taken today~along with my Duncun of which I'm very proud of.

Update: My Firefish is M.I.A.

tazzy695
02-26-2010, 02:14 PM
tank is looking good keep up the good work miz

Argent
02-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Nice looking tank Jamie - much nicer than mine!

MizTanks
02-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Update: My Firefish is M.I.A.

update:update: found her in first chamber~pulling her out she then jumped into chamber 2~got her~did it~done~all is well!

Thanks guys~ya'll been though h... with me an my tank~but as you can see it was all worth it~woot woot!!!

MizTanks
02-28-2010, 11:24 PM
Woot woot! My candy cane is finally open an eating-lil piggy. :)

Sir Patrick
03-01-2010, 01:16 AM
Your tank has realy come a long way!!! Looks awsome!! Corals are growing in/maturing very nice!

MizTanks
03-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Thanks Chris~it sure has been one heck of a journey~I finally got my little clump of chaeto~now my filter consists of a few pieces of LR~chaeto~chemipure elite~mini led and the mj600~oh and a small bag of purigen~hopefully I'm not over doing it :) The hydro flow is working wonderfully~my duncun and candy cane seem to like it a lot~I do see several light scratches on the front of the tank~not sure what to do about those but at least their not to noticeable~except by me :) I do need to remember to turn out the led light~I'm sure leaving it on for 24hrs can't be good.

Argent
03-01-2010, 12:11 PM
MizTanks - you need to put a fish wall up to stop your jumpers from going over the wall - I kept losing my bar goby to the rear chambers which aren't easy to get them out of...

MizTanks
03-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Guess what~I have a fish wall up! I think she did it while I was doing a WC~or adding the chaeto to the media basket~either way I had to remove it to get to the chambers.

Argent
03-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Ahh ok hopefully they'll stay outta those rear chambers - it was such a pain to get them out

MizTanks
03-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Keds reds from Zach (Lucid props) along with some yellow star palys and obviously a FTS

ReeferRob
03-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Tank is looking really great! I want you favia! How many heads on that beauty Jamie?

MizTanks
03-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Not sure Rob since I've never really counted~but I got that too from Zach~there's at least 10! Here's a new pic of my new zoa's~yes folks I paid 8$ for the entire frag~woot woot!! Sorry the first pic is a little grainy~was trying to be a photographer~and my new coco worm.

MizTanks
03-13-2010, 03:17 AM
Rose Rock Anemone today and 2 months ago, WOW! I'm gonna need to find him a new home soon.

Sir Patrick
03-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Sweet cocoworm! Nice Green bay packer zoas!

medwards
03-16-2010, 06:36 PM
Looks good, I like the way you have everything placed, good use of space. Makes it look bigger.

MizTanks
03-18-2010, 04:54 PM
My battle with algae has taken it toll on my enthusiasm with my tank~for the last week not a day has gone by that I haven't thought of just tearing it down~with no thought of starting over~the Chem-Marin Stop Hair Algae works wonderfully when added directly to the infected spots~but it just keeps popping up in other places~I've actually had to dispose of 2 zoa frags that became over run with the stuff and now I'm seeing a small patch of Byropsis. Getting a larger tank only adds to my frustrations as I would only be transferring the problem unless I started totally fresh~which means getting rid of all my LR which is home to 3 small colonies of zoas. I'm bummin ya'll~totally......

tazzy695
03-21-2010, 03:30 AM
what is your mg at start dosing it to 1800 or higher range this will kill any bryopsys and keep it from coming back

just keep killing the HA as you are if need be take a good size frag of your colonys off the rock and cook it

MizTanks
03-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Some good news~Oceanic is sending me 2 new moon leds~2 new fans (I already replaced em) and the board that they all attach too~Anyways I'll pretty much have a new hood iffin I can do the work myself~otherwise I'll have a bunch of parts~anyone have a walk through available? LOL Their doing it all without a receipt!!! Gotta love Oceanic!

Sir Patrick
03-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Very good news!! I would walk ya through- If I had a clue....

MizTanks
04-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Well my Keds Reds are now gone-run over by algae-I picked as much and as often as possible-guess the stress was just to much for em-:((

tazzy695
04-04-2010, 03:49 PM
that stinks did they actually melt away and are completely gone or just closed up

MizTanks
04-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Melted~gone~closed~you name it and now my bam bams are getting over run and they too are closing~I even found some bubble algae on the base of my Duncun~was able to clean that off though~just a never ending battle with me....

MizTanks
04-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Yahoooooo eeeeee!!! I got 3 new heads on my Duncun!!! I knew I had one for sure but because she's open all the time it was hard to see the other 2-that's a total of 6 all togeather! When I bought it a little over a month ago she only had 3-cool or what?

Sir Patrick
04-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Very col would be an understatment!! Gotta love growth!! Its my favorite! :tongue_out:

MizTanks
04-14-2010, 02:18 PM
Yahooooo got a new fishey today~lil Tail Spot Blenny~haven't bought anything new for my tank in a while~felt pretty dang good~I do believe I'm finally winning the algae battle~at least it's no where near as bad as it once was~sad that I lost several of my zoas~Kedds/Devils Armor and most of my radioactive dragon eyes~don't think anything can kill the green implosions :)

MizTanks
04-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Got me a sweet tiny little piece of Blasto-woot woot!!!

Sir Patrick
04-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Tail spot and a blasto????

:pics:

MizTanks
04-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Not the best pic of my new blasto sorry but it's kind of hard getting a pic of something soooo tiny~Favia looks great though as does the CC~and of course my new Blenny!!!

ReeferRob
04-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Favia is looking really nice! Looks like you've got some good growth on that as well!

Sir Patrick
04-22-2010, 09:47 PM
That tail spot is pretty cool!

MizTanks
04-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks guys! The Favia does have a lot of new growth-she eats good and seems to like that spot right in front-good flow.

ReeferRob
04-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Jaime, I've been experimenting with Coral Rx and its effects on hair algea. It's still a bit pre mature, but promising. I started a thread on it. You might give it a whirl if your still battling.

MizTanks
04-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Yuppers still battling~it's not as bad as it once was but I'm still picking golf ball clumps weekly~what hurts worse is looking back at old photos I now realize just how many zoa frags I've lost due to being choked out~I'm hitting the LFS today for chaeto~will pick up some RX also.

MizTanks
05-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Do they always grow so fast? I now have 2 more new heads~making a total of 8 in all~oh yea so much for getting rid of the rock anenome cause I found a new one in it's place last night~I've simply got to find some way to get a bigger tank~everythings growing sooooooo much!!!

iyachtuxivm
05-06-2010, 07:56 PM
I purchased a 2 head frag 2 years ago I now have over 20 so...........

MizTanks
05-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Twenty!!! I'll have to find a new apartment!!

igot2gats
05-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Your tank has come full circle, Jamie. Glad to see you hung in there & didn't quite when the going got tough.

Nice work.

MizTanks
05-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks for being there Igot-your many words of incouragement helped for sure-my tank will be *1yr* next month!!!! WOW!!!

MizTanks
05-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Never did I think that I'd have to start removing things from my tank just to make room for new growth~newb mistake~but somethings gotta go.

Sir Patrick
05-13-2010, 12:16 AM
I vote- let it all grow out, and sort itself out along the way!!

Got a full tank shot?

MizTanks
05-17-2010, 07:42 PM
My Candy Cane is splitting!!!! Woot woot!!! Go Jamie it's yer first tank-go Jamie it's yer first tank-lolololol

ReeferRob
05-17-2010, 09:30 PM
:bananapiano::bananapiano::bananapiano:PICS!!

Sir Patrick
05-17-2010, 10:05 PM
^ +1!!!!!!

MizTanks
05-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Talk about awesome!! I love reefing!!!

1st pic is from last Wednesday
2nd is today!!!

Sir Patrick
05-18-2010, 11:18 PM
:thumbsup:

Now you are on your way to 2!!!

MizTanks
05-20-2010, 07:23 PM
I'm so sad-I haven't seen my Yellow nose prawn since yesterday-I see the shrimp coming outta the hole to eat but no goby :(( if he's gone to fishey heaven do I get another for mz shrimp?

ReeferRob
05-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Now that is sweet. It happened so quick, now you have Candy Cane's!
Hopefully the fish comes out!

MizTanks
05-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Awww I found him :( still alive but not in good shape-he was stuck in the mouth of the pump-no idea how he got in there as I do have a fish saver in place-I placed him back in the tank just in case ya know....

Sir Patrick
05-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Oh no....hope he is ok!

kgood1
05-20-2010, 11:03 PM
I hope your fish recovers!:pray::comfort:

MizTanks
05-21-2010, 10:01 AM
This morning he's nowhere to be found-if the bristle worms have anything to do with it he won't be :((

Bella127
05-21-2010, 09:46 PM
Thats too bad:thumbsdown: I was hoping for the best

Sir Patrick
05-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Im still hoping for the best....when it comes to lost fish, I always say-

Its not over, till the cyno begins!!!

Unless the live fish pops up- either one!

MizTanks
05-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Happy happy joy joy-woot woot!!! Hereeeees mr goby!! Yup he's alive! Talk about one tough little fish! Mz shrimp is even happier. I'm
So happy!!!

MizTanks
05-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Here I am mom!!!

MizTanks
05-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Oops one more-I'm so happy to be home!!

Sir Patrick
05-22-2010, 11:28 PM
:approve_post:

Sir Patrick
05-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Had a feeling the lil guy was around somwhere!

MizTanks
05-24-2010, 12:33 AM
My tank reached 84 today-I proped the hood up and turned the lights off a few hrs earlier-I may have to float a baggy of ice tomorrow-not sure what else to do.....

ReeferRob
05-24-2010, 09:10 AM
My tank reached 84 today-I proped the hood up and turned the lights off a few hrs earlier-I may have to float a baggy of ice tomorrow-not sure what else to do.....

You'll be pleasantly surprised how effective a small fan blowing directly on the front glass will be.
One of the biggest concerns with high temp. is oxygen in the water is diminished. Opening your lid was a good step. Might want to pick up a small 4" clamp on style fan and have it blow across the surface water of the tank to help with gas exchange and cooling.

jimsflies
05-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Did you read this month's feature article (http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8162)?

MizTanks
05-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Airconditioning in my room!! That should do it don't ya think :) the rest of the house is hotter then heck but my tank is safe :))

Sir Patrick
05-26-2010, 12:12 AM
Sounds like somthing other than weather is affecting your water temp...

Pumps clean? You turn down your heater to compensate for the temp change at all? Everything in good clean working order?

MizTanks
05-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Nooo it's the weather for sure. Heaters unplugged-pump cleaned last WC-new fans are working great-the temp in my room was around 90 if not higher-with the ac running all day yesterday tank temp has already dropped to 80 as of this morning-Im sure it wouldn't take much for this little tank to get warm-question about the fans though-are they both supposed to be drawing air out or one drawing in and one out?

MizTanks
05-31-2010, 03:33 PM
I love my tank!!!

Sir Patrick
05-31-2010, 05:30 PM
That little tank is getting full!!

MizTanks
06-03-2010, 07:39 AM
Dang I just noticed what a crappy pic that is-your right Chris it is getting very full-hence my NEEDING a bigger tank. I've worked way to hard to give anything up :( guess I could thin the Implosions-trim back the GSP since it has now attached it's self to the glass. Other then that I don't know what else to do???

MizTanks
06-03-2010, 07:42 AM
I love this pic!

MizTanks
06-04-2010, 12:05 PM
I got some sort of eggs on the glass~usually I just scrape em off but this time I'm gonna allow them to hatch (watching daily of course) and see what I get~most likely snails.

Sir Patrick
06-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Can you describe the eggs for us??? You got me curious....

MizTanks
06-07-2010, 01:54 AM
This is the best I can do-their quit small-they actually remind me of the FW Cory cat fish eggs-I can see something inside-watching em closely.

MizTanks
06-07-2010, 01:59 AM
Very small, white, not clustered.

MizTanks
06-07-2010, 02:18 AM
Cute or what? Tangaroa goby just loves the Favia.

MizTanks
06-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Time to cull the Implosions don't ya think?

Sir Patrick
06-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Yup- I do think so!! Those can get out of hand quick in a small tank!!

MizTanks
06-10-2010, 12:48 PM
never knew zoas would crawl the walls!

Sir Patrick
06-10-2010, 02:45 PM
They sure can!! Nice pic miz!

MizTanks
06-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Here's one of the GSP crawling up the glass

MizTanks
06-12-2010, 03:05 PM
Happy birthday to my tank!!! 1yr old!!

MizTanks
06-15-2010, 08:57 PM
It's been the last couple of days where I look at my tank knowing it's doing so well and everything is thriving that It feels as if I'm at a standstill. There's no real room to add anything. Unless I cull more implosions, which would give me about 3" for some new zoos. My Favia has completely covered it's plug and is now touching the sand bed=great growth! I didn't know it would be so hard to *just leave the tank alone* I see so many awesome corals I would love to have most of which I could in my tank. But no room! Awwww geeeez...

Sir Patrick
06-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Sounds like the upgrade bug is nibblin....not bitten yet! Only a matter of time....:hypnodisk:

MizTanks
06-23-2010, 07:08 PM
I was just going through pic's of my tank from the last year and although I'm happy I've managed to keep it going for an entire year it saddens me to see just how much loss I've suffered. I've had some mighty beautiful zoa's now gone~Kedds Reds~Devils Armor~Gorillia Niples~purple monti~radioactive dragon eyes~tubbs blue~and a few more I cant remember the names of......

Sir Patrick
06-23-2010, 07:18 PM
^ Dont get too down about it...zoas tend to come and go. You dont want to know all the zoas I have been through!!

MizTanks
06-23-2010, 07:48 PM
(((((((hugs))))))) thanks Chris for always answering to my thread~I look forward to reading what you have to say.:big_grin::thumbsup::highfive3:

MizTanks
06-26-2010, 08:57 PM
I love my Favia!!! Check out this growth! Just within the last month!

MizTanks
06-26-2010, 08:58 PM
It's my favorite!!!

Sir Patrick
06-27-2010, 12:19 AM
Looks like it has grown...you got an old and new pic, to post in one post for comparison?? Would be cool to see!

MizTanks
06-27-2010, 01:00 AM
I'm posting via my iPhone which allows for only one at a time-top is the older pic-second pic you can no longer see the plug!

MizTanks
07-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Peek-a-boo! Miz Blenny took over worm tube-lol

MizTanks
07-09-2010, 06:44 PM
7/9/2010 fts!

MizTanks
07-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Just turned 1yr on 6-11-2010.

MizTanks
07-11-2010, 04:13 PM
New zooooo's! Woot woot! Paid 6$!

Sir Patrick
07-11-2010, 11:25 PM
$6?? Very nice score!

MizTanks
07-12-2010, 01:18 AM
Friends in high places-at the LFS! Lol

MizTanks
07-14-2010, 12:54 AM
Isn't she pretty? One of my favorites!

MizTanks
07-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Did we survive the trip? Stay tuned......

MizTanks
07-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Bad photography but love the pic!!!

ReeferRob
07-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Did we survive the trip? Stay tuned......

Looking good here!

MizTanks
07-17-2010, 02:45 PM
2nd day and not looking good for the little frag plug :crying: Not sure about the 1 little polyps in the background~ hopefully the larger piece will make it~lots of polyps have melted off of this too.

MizTanks
07-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Sadly none made the trip :((

thefishgirl
07-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Happy Birthday MizTank's tank!!

cg5071
07-20-2010, 06:24 AM
looks nice :) not sure how i missed the thread all together. is that an anemone on the top left?

cg5071
07-20-2010, 06:31 AM
awww! i was going to say the first 2 looked very bad but the third looks like it had a chance. i love the dark green zoas. (even before yours) it is just a cool color. forest green :)

MizTanks
07-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Bad photography but love the pic!!!

These ones I got from the LFS-the others I ordered online those didn't survive their trip.

MizTanks
07-20-2010, 09:57 AM
Yup-Rose Rock Nem.

jolson10450
07-20-2010, 11:18 AM
what is that favia or whatever it is called right in the front green and red? do you have a name for it? i need to get me one of them! nice tank! the rock anemone is sweet!

demonclownfish
07-20-2010, 11:30 AM
jolson-
its a christmas favia

miz-
i also somehow missed this thread and the tank is looking GREAT! your duncans look super happy :)

MizTanks
07-20-2010, 11:44 AM
I got this X-Mas Favia from Zach of Lucidprops about 6+ months ago-it's been way cool watching the plug disappear under new growth. Thanks guys!!!

jolson10450
07-20-2010, 11:54 AM
yeah that thing is sweet. i just gotta see who has one i can buy now =)

streetrodder007
07-20-2010, 05:20 PM
The nano looks great.. Your 2 fish are posing for their picture.

MizTanks
07-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Duncan growth~first pic taken in April 2010~second pic taken July of 2010. Bought with 3 heads today there's 11.

Sir Patrick
07-20-2010, 10:36 PM
And you were worried about your alk not being high enough in your nano....lol!! Those things are growing like no bodys buisness!! Glad you took the leap of faith on those 2 peices. They are doing great!!

cg5071
07-21-2010, 10:12 AM
i got my duncans and x-mas from zach too :) my x-mas must not be happy like yours, it is the one that i have the least growth on and it isnt an agressive feeder like the others? hmm. any ideas? lucid prop is a great place btw.

MizTanks
07-21-2010, 02:38 PM
I spot feed my Duncan 1x weekly Rods, brine and mysis-under med flow that's it :)

LeeRain
07-23-2010, 11:26 AM
I was just going through pic's of my tank from the last year and although I'm happy I've managed to keep it going for an entire year it saddens me to see just how much loss I've suffered. I've had some mighty beautiful zoa's now gone~Kedds Reds~Devils Armor~Gorillia Niples~purple monti~radioactive dragon eyes~tubbs blue~and a few more I cant remember the names of
blackjack for usa players (http://www.royalapollo.com/games/table-games/vegas-rules-online-blackjack/)
Online casino for US players (http://www.jackpotcapital.com/)

MizTanks
07-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Zoas crawling up the back wall-cool or what!

cg5071
07-23-2010, 02:29 PM
funny^ that will look cool when it fills in. maybe? lol.

yes my duncans are doing great also. i meant my x-mas favia isnt nearly as nice. i think it was a smaller frag also. it is growing but very slowly. it is red and green and looks similar but may not even be an x-mas favia. who knows. i didnt pick it out, it was one of the "freebies"

MizTanks
07-24-2010, 01:46 PM
My Favia growth seems to come in spurts-nothing for a while then all of a sudden the plug is covered!

MizTanks
07-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Here they are today bout 2 weeks after they first started~still crawling the wall and looking good!

MizTanks
07-26-2010, 08:35 AM
Good morning all my CR friends!!!

Sir Patrick
07-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Those candy canes look ready for breakfast!!!

cg5071
07-26-2010, 12:16 PM
somebody figured out how to frag? :)

MizTanks
07-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Nope! Those are Candy Cane in da early morning ;)

It's Duncan I wanna frag or sell :))

cg5071
07-26-2010, 01:15 PM
oh yeah, doh! lol

MizTanks
07-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Peek-a-boo!

cg5071
07-28-2010, 09:08 AM
what, your bristle worm? ;)
what fish is that?

MizTanks
07-28-2010, 11:58 AM
He's a Tail Spot Blenny. One of my most favorites of all fishes!! What a personality. An the bristle worm well lets just say I need a nylon stocking cause I got so many of the dang things that they actually come out to eat during the day and I've even been able to grab em along the sand bed. It's crazy!!!

MizTanks
08-02-2010, 07:34 AM
Good morning my CR friends! Hope you all have a wonderful day!!

MizTanks
08-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Yup another reason fer a bigger tank!!

cg5071
08-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Is the tailspot blenny kind of like a scooter? I am thinking about getting a scooter blenny. My mandarin hasnt been seen in weeks and i just found out yesterday the while the red/green mandarins ONLY eat copods, the other ones will eat amphiopods as well. I have alot of those it could eat. I saw this on wiki so I hope it is true.

My bristle worms are getting brave too. I am adding so much food for the small cards that they are multiplying quickly.

MizTanks
08-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Sorry not sure about the difference between the scooter and the tail spot except maybe for size, scooter being the bigger of the two.
As for the Manderin's, IMO to hard to keep. Think about what your going to do once the pods are gone. Do you have access to a supply?

demonclownfish
08-10-2010, 11:40 AM
manarins do eat amphipods, scooter blenny has the same requirements as mandarins. i personally call them "scooter dragonettes" as they arent blenny's. tailspots are primarily herbivores but do eat small things like small peices of mysis, cyclops, and brine shrimp. GO WITH THE TAILSPOT!!!

cg5071
08-10-2010, 12:27 PM
I do plan on introducing copods to the fuge too. I really thought i could care for the mandarin as i had an older tank along with the the larger one it was in. I sucked up pods and squirted him daily and he also picked at the others I am sure. He was doing well, then one day i just didnt see him anymore. I couldnt tell you what happened except that my kole tang was crazy for over a month getting acclimated. She is now the boss of that tank but I am not adding it to that tank again.

I should have a good supply of food whichever i decide. I am going to be raising live food for fish breeding. Not tomorrow or anything but soon and i wouldnt just rush out and buy another.
Thanks though.

I am curious as to why the wiki on salt water aquarium fish distinctly says that the green/red mandarins eat "only" copods.

demonclownfish
08-10-2010, 01:39 PM
wiki lies big time lol. i jsut got a red mandarin from reef paradise that eats COPEPODS, brine, cyclops, blood worm, arcti-pods.

adalius
08-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Traditionally mandarins only did eat copepods. That was the 'rule of thumb' as the basis of their diet was just copepods and why so many people who kept mandarins lost them. In the last 5-10 years though you've been able to find more and more that will take a variety of foods. It's still recommended that you have a good basis of copepods for them to nosh on all day, and unless you see them eat other things at the LFS you should assume it's all they will eat, but they often times will take prepared foods or can be trained to over time.

cg5071
08-10-2010, 01:51 PM
I know copods didnt look right :)

MizTanks
08-10-2010, 09:28 PM
I'm noticing that I'm having a very hard time keeping any zoas alive in my tank. Yup I said zoas. Now the Favia, CC and Duncan are all doing wonderful. Palys doing great too. Zoas do good fer about a month and then they slowly melt/fade or just disappear. I look fer bugs/pocks, nothing I can see. Water parameters all good and consistant with each WC, which I'm now doing 25% bi-weekly. I use phytoplankton, about 10 drops 2x monthly.

Sir Patrick
08-10-2010, 09:56 PM
^ Exactly why after way too many years- i am giving up on zoas......far to finicky for me anymore! I am however staying with palys!!

I know how ya feel miz. Been there with zoas going down hill more times than I care to admit!

cg5071
08-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Luckily I havnt had too bad of luck with zoas other than algea. yet. How long before you run into trouble? I do need to figure out something different for display though. They are cool colors ect. but you have to look close for details of rings/splatters ect. The original plan was to have like a rubble pile/ island of them but will have to wait till i can controll the algae. I guess not all of them are zoas either some are palys or protopaly's whatever the diff is.

MizTanks
08-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Strange you mention zoas and algae. Last good zoas I had were radio active dragon eyes and they got totally choked out by algae.
Here's a pic of my most recent buys from the LFS. So far so good but the GBPs sure have faded.

MizTanks
08-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Looking goooood-can't wait to do the upgrade though-in dire need for room!

MizTanks
08-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Candy cane gonna split again!

MizTanks
08-24-2010, 10:45 PM
Green Implosion jungle!

Sir Patrick
08-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Jungle for sure!!!

MizTanks
09-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Shrooooom city!

cg5071
09-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Shroom City!!! I think I have been there before :hypnotized:

MizTanks
09-16-2010, 11:37 AM
No more diatoms!! Yahoooooeee!! Prawn goby is once again out and eating-feeding his buddy too. I again culled back the implosions. All in all Miz 8g is doing wonderful!

adalius
09-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Hey, send me some of that candy cane that split, mine died :(

Rabidgoose
09-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Well done Miz!! The frustration and anxiety from early on should seem like a distant memory now...:big_grin::big_grin:

......All in all Miz 8g is doing wonderful!

cg5071
09-16-2010, 11:46 AM
congrats! on the diatoms

MizTanks
09-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Lol-some memories I'll choose to keep just so I know what NOT to do next time-hmm like leaving new lights on for 8-9 hrs without some type of filtering.
Thanks to all here at CR I'm still in the game! Can't wait to upgrade!

MizTanks
09-21-2010, 02:57 PM
Yahoooooo!!!! I was given a Orange Linkia star fish today, by the owner of The Pet Stop. Although the stars in pretty rough shape, having only 2 out of his 5 arms, I'm gonna make him/her all better. He/she is just a little tyke with the body being about the size of a dime.
I'm so excited!! Have always wanted a star fish....

ReeferRob
09-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Whoop whoop stars are awesome! How far out is the upgrade?

MizTanks
09-24-2010, 03:13 PM
Well she's still alive. Not moving around much but with only 2 arms I didn't expect her to. I did my research on this type of star and they are algae eaters. I had no idea that they don't have eyes nor a brain. Definitely one interesting creature for sure.

MizTanks
09-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Awww my star has died-actually I just went to check on her and she was in the grips of several bristle worms and my PMS was running off with one of her arms. Makes me sad.....

Sir Patrick
09-24-2010, 10:37 PM
RIP- poor linkia star! Its in a better place now, with all its arms!

MizTanks
10-14-2010, 12:07 PM
All is well with my tank. Nothing much to report on. My Candy cane has split again, twice! Now I got 4 heads!
While doing a WC miz fire fish again jumped into chamber 1-twas a major pain getting her out, but I did :)
Lost 2 more frags of zoas. I think I'm done with them. Only ones left are RADE and one other no name.
Blasto-Duncan-shrooms-favia are all doing great and of course the green implosions are still being culled, freaking weeds :( all fish are fat an healthy.
FTS as of today.http://184.72.239.143/mu/18b19601-38c8-014d.jpg

cg5071
10-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Your PMS is running off with an arm? LOL I guess stay away from PMS ;))

MizTanks
10-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Your PMS is running off with an arm? LOL I guess stay away from PMS ;))

LMAO! Seems fitting don't it? For a shrimp who attacks me every time I put my hand in the tank. :))

demonclownfish
10-14-2010, 02:22 PM
All is well with my tank. Nothing much to report on. My Candy cane has split again, twice! Now I got 4 heads!
While doing a WC miz fire fish again jumped into chamber 1-twas a major pain getting her out, but I did :)
Lost 2 more frags of zoas. I think I'm done with them. Only ones left are RADE and one other no name.
Blasto-Duncan-shrooms-favia are all doing great and of course the green implosions are still being culled, freaking weeds :( all fish are fat an healthy.
FTS as of today.http://184.72.239.143/mu/18b19601-38c8-014d.jpg

CHECK YOUR NITRATES!!!! i just realized thats why my zoas were dying and they are fine now :)

MizTanks
10-20-2010, 08:45 PM
What the ****?? Did the Chemiclean treatment. 2 days aeration, no carbon, no Chemipure elite. All corals closed and two nassarius snails dead. Can't win for losing :((

MizTanks
10-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Checked on the tank, lights have been on for an hour and still no open corals, none! All three Nassarius snails are dead. Fish, shrimps and crab all seem fine.
I've used Chemiclean before with no I'll effects at all. Does it expire too? If so, with it being over a year old, would it have this affect on my corals and snails?
Man I hope I didn't mess up my tank for good this time :((

jolson10450
10-21-2010, 11:38 AM
i am not to sure on it other than i would do a massive water change asap. the snails probably died because of the fluctuation in water parameters so quick same with the coral closing. it sucks you live so far and cant get any real help in person hardly because no one up there has tanks.

MizTanks
10-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Did a 3G WC yesterday, almost 50% Corals seem to be opening, although very slowly. GSP will have to come off the glass as they're headed that way on their own.
I fear I really screwed up my tank :((

MizTanks
10-22-2010, 09:52 AM
10am checked on my tank-still corals are not opening-will test parameters :((

Tom@HaslettMI
10-22-2010, 10:23 AM
I think you (and your corals) will pull through this. If they are closed up but not dying then correcting whatever ****ed them off (chemiclean?) should result in a 100% recovery. Water changes are definitely going to help, and I'd start running chemical filtration again (carbon, chemipure, whatever you usually use). If you had a skimmer I would say get that going as well. Basically I would try to get all of the chemiclean out ASAP.

Good luck!
Tom

MizTanks
10-24-2010, 08:44 PM
Well there may be hope! Did a 75%WC-added a new bag of Chemipure (not elite) and the corals are already looking a tad better. Both frags of zoas are open (only got 2) and my Duncan seems to be on the mend.
For reasons unknown to me, the coraline on the back of the tank looks awful. I also believe my pistol shrimp is stirring things up a bit to much. It has almost all the sand under the LR pushed out. Nice totally white sand.
I've moved the cheato from the second tier to the third and placed the Chemipure on the second with filter floss on top, which I'll change every other day.
That's all for today peoples!http://tapa.tk/mu/18b19601-e0b2-622b.jpg

Look out point. Presque Isle park. Marquette :))

Sir Patrick
10-24-2010, 11:24 PM
Glad to hear things are looking up for you. Good idea running some carbon. That will pull the chemicals right out of your tank. Things should get back in order soon.

redemer123
10-24-2010, 11:27 PM
yay im happy your tank is doing better :)

kozyreef
10-24-2010, 11:46 PM
look out point is fun but not as fun as dead river falls!

tazzy695
10-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Phew glad things are looking better

MizTanks
10-25-2010, 02:55 PM
look out point is fun but not as fun as dead river falls!

Dead River Falls is wonderful buuut not as wonderful as Laughing White Fish Falls :))
You know Marquette?

MizTanks
10-31-2010, 08:58 AM
My tank is looking pretty good-Duncan is opening up nicely. Still getting this brown film on the glass. I believe it may have something to do with having only chaeto and chemipure for filtration.
Think I should add some LR rubble? Not to sure where I'd put though as the chaeto is a nice size bunch, it's doing so good I'd hate to break it up.

MizTanks
11-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Yahooo! I'm so excited. Tom is coming to Marquette and we are gonna swap some corals. He's gonna frag my Duncan which is one of the swaps. He's also bringing the sump for my upgrade.
My Duncan for a nice size frag of Frog spawn, 2-3 heads of Favia (y'all know I love my Favia) and maybe a couple frags of zoas. Not bad for a 13+ headed Duncan.

Tom@HaslettMI
11-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Frogspawn?? Was I supposed to bring frogspawn? Uh-oh, I don't own any frogspawn... may be I was supposed to bring you hammer coral. Sorry if I messed up. Next time I'll be sure to bring you some hammer.

It was really nice to meet you this evening. I hope the duncan frag heals and all the other corals settle into your tank.

Tom

MizTanks
11-02-2010, 10:19 PM
What the he'll are you feeding your corals? Within minutes everything was open!! Even the birds nest!
It was hammer, my bad :)) I'm still in shock from all that you did bring.
I put a little super glue jell on the Duncan, no worries if it doesn't make it, I made out like a bandit! Pics to come tomorrow.
Thanks for the corals an the beer!

Jamie

tazzy695
11-02-2010, 10:24 PM
awesome where are the pics of the new pieces

Sir Patrick
11-02-2010, 11:01 PM
New peices??? Cant wait to see!

MizTanks
11-02-2010, 11:09 PM
Pics to come in da a.m. I'll even use my camera an not my iPhone. Awesome awesome awesome pieces!!!