PDA

View Full Version : Calcium, Alk, Mg & pH What's your ideal Alk/Ca levels?

dakar
02-07-2005, 12:14 AM
Since I have been working on getting our alk up to meet the high Ca levels from the salt mix, I've pretty much got it figured out a reasonable dosing level to maintain it around 10.5 dKH, calcium is still holding steady at 500ppm with no kalk dosing. Things are responding to the increase alk nicely, getting good growth responses since the soing began.

Just curious what level eveyone is trying to hold, and any reasons why.

Thanks.

Reptoreef
02-07-2005, 12:30 AM
All sounds ok. How's the cyano mess? As you have more demand on ca, your levels will drop and may, eventually need supplimentation. My levels(I believe) are ca 430 and alk 10-11 dKH... I'll test asap.

dakar
02-07-2005, 04:04 PM
All sounds ok. How's the cyano mess? As you have more demand on ca, your levels will drop and may, eventually need supplimentation. My levels(I believe) are ca 430 and alk 10-11 dKH... I'll test asap.

We are winning the war on the cyano one battle at a time..... actually now Angel and I or both ganging up on it, so able to keep it in check.

I guess we are just going to have to give in and get us some more Ca demanding critters so I can dose kalk again too......

Angel's been working in there most of the day now.... adding new rock up from the sump to the display and re aquascaping the whole place... should be a nice surprise to get home to tonight after dinner.

davejnz
02-09-2005, 12:23 AM
I prefer 8-9 dKH and 420PPM calcium.It is very demanding for me to keep those levels in my small tanks and most of the time my alk is 7-8.My main reason for trying to keep it at 8 is because the NSW here is that and i use it when conditions allow me to.

BUGZME
02-11-2005, 06:36 PM
I try to keep my alk at 11 dkh and calcium at 450! the calcium is easy but the alk is a work in progress