PDA

View Full Version : polyp extrusion

davejnz
02-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Recently,one of my Euphyliia(torch) corals has been doing this.I've seen this with Caulastrea(candy cane)before but never Euphyllia.Anybody have any pics or experiences to share about this subject?

Reptoreef
02-13-2005, 01:10 AM
hard to tell, but looks to be splitting... completely normal for a healthy branching euphyllia.

dakar
02-13-2005, 09:05 AM
You talking about that area where the skeleton appears to be extending out? That looks a little odd but one of our frogspawn has done the same thing, instead of the head gorwing and splitting and growing into new branches it threw a new branch first and then filled it quickly. Think he's in good shape.

davejnz
02-13-2005, 01:36 PM
This is where the coral will drop a piece of tissue along with a small piece of skeleton.Its in the beginning phase as you can see the tissue start to hang,it will eventually fall off.My trumpet coral did this last yr but i lost all of the pics.I'll document it as the process continues.

davejnz
02-25-2005, 05:40 PM
here's one of my Candy cane doing it and another of the torch.Basically,the tissue sort of drips off of the polyp usually with a small piece of sleleton attached.My candy cane has already dropped 3 polyps and is starting to do it again.