PDA

View Full Version : Large Reef Aquarium(91g-180g) Dakar & Angel's Reef! Pictures :)

Reef_Angel
02-16-2005, 12:22 PM
I finally got around to taking a bunch of pictures of the tank since we changed from the 55G and moved into our luxurious 180G! We never thought we'd have enough rock for the tank, and could still use a bit more! We're actually entering TOTM for the month of March. That will be a first for us, as we've never thought our tank was good enough to enter. It's not as done as it should be, but it still is beautiful in our eyes! Come on everybody, if we can enter TOTM...that means everybody can! Let's set a record for the most tanks ever entered for March!! I hope you enjoy our pictures! ~Angel~ :smt051

pro2k
02-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Awesome! Looks great. I hope mine can grow up to be like that someday!

BUGZME
02-16-2005, 06:04 PM
Hi there! tank looks great! How long has it been setup?

Reef_Angel
02-16-2005, 06:15 PM
Mid November was when we moved everything from the 55G into the 180G. It's coming along. Dave is working on the canopy and as you've probably read, we'll be getting the lights on it very soon! :)

dakar
02-16-2005, 07:02 PM
Guess this thread answers the question as to who takes better pictures between Angel and I... she's got me beat hands down.

It only took us like 6 months to outgrow the 55g, wonder how long before we go looking for a larger tank... we still have tons of growing room in there so it's not going anywhere for a while. Besides, we have another 'new' tank coming shortly, but that one we'll leave a complete surprise for the future.

BUGZME
02-16-2005, 08:00 PM
You should start thinking about a couple 50 gallon frag tanks now! People say my frag tanks look like reefs but I can't take pictures at all or I would show you all.

Reptoreef
02-16-2005, 11:45 PM
Stunning... awesome work guys!!! A definite contender!!!

Repto

JustDavidP
02-17-2005, 09:21 AM
Interesting mix o' corals there. Do you find any chemical warfare betwixt the softies and LPS?

Also, does the curly anemone reproduce often? I had one, thought it was just aptaisia and was going to nuke it. Someone told me.. No..it's a curlyque. I kept it, for a while, until more started poppin up all over my system. I blasted them all with Joe's Juice. Now I deal with just a few mojano from time to time.

Beautiful tank!

jerryc
02-17-2005, 09:34 AM
[quote="JustDavidP"]Interesting mix o' corals there. Do you find any chemical warfare betwixt the softies and LPS?

Also, does the curly anemone reproduce often? I had one, thought it was just aptaisia and was going to nuke it. Someone told me.. No..it's a curlyque. I kept it, for a while, until more started poppin up all over my system. I blasted them all with Joe's Juice. Now I deal with just a few mojano from time to time.

I done the same thing but i paid $12 for the first one :roll: all of a sudden i had 6 so i
mixed up a little Cal past and i have 0 left. :D

dakar
02-17-2005, 09:53 AM
No chemical warfare so far... not that has been noticed anyhows...some guys prefer some places more than others (the usual light/flow combos) .

The Curly Q was a spur of the moment thing, it was on sale at saltwaterfish for like $4, so we grabbed one just because we were ordering some other things and it was cool looking. It's definately grown dramtically and is quite happy, not leaving a trail of babies anywhere yet and doesn't seem to be bothering anyone.

The pic can be decieving but there is a lot of real estate in there.... 72"x24"

Reef_Angel
02-17-2005, 10:06 AM
There are a few things in there that I have found by trial and error to not put near each other. With the size of the tank, just putting distance between them generally solves the problem. Reproducing CurlyQ's huh? Tell me what I should be looking for with these in a baby state? Do they look like mojano when they are just starting out? The problem I have right now is that we did get some mojano on my huge polyp rock, but now we have noticed that there are mojona looking babies further down the tank away from the polyps and also past my curlyQ too. Now I'm wondering how to tell the difference. I don't want a ton of them, but could you help me to find the differences between the two? I appreciate it!

Reptoreef
02-17-2005, 10:10 AM
mojanos have bulb-like tips on their tentacles where the curlycues are very tapered ends and somewhat corkscrewed.

dakar
02-17-2005, 10:17 AM
I got a decent pic of some majano we ended up with last summer... http://captivereefing.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=36 (http://captivereefing.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=36), some of the new critters showing up are similar, but not exactly the same... at least not to my eye.

jerryc
02-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Good description Rapto. the ones i had usual popped up on the same rock and then looked for their on space don't walk as much as just turned lose and ended up
somewhere Else

JustDavidP
02-17-2005, 10:28 AM
Yes, Mojano look like baby BTAs. Curley-Q juvis look like aptaisa.

Dave

PS.. I JUST made a blog. I feel like I accomplished something today!!

dakar
02-17-2005, 10:57 AM
PS.. I JUST made a blog. I feel like I accomplished something today!!

Good deal! I've been having a blast with them... actually have a few different ones now, one here on the board and others for just goofing around with, traffic gatherers for the site and stuff like that :)

Besides I can only imagine what people think when they stumble onto our reef journal.... 'what the heck is the fool talking about... baking soda and rocks and fish.... " hee hee

it takes a lot of hits though so I leave ours publicly viewable... adds to the fun factor.

JustDavidP
02-17-2005, 11:02 AM
****... I'm cleared with DoD. Everyone knows more about me than I do. My blog is served to the public as well. No secrets with this guy....what you see is what you get.

Grandmaster_Toad
02-18-2005, 03:46 PM
That tank has really come along way! I rmember seeing it when it was a murky mess of sand and a few rocks. It Looks GREAT now. NICE JOB!!! Just goes to show what kind of tank you can achieve with some know how, and a willingness to seak out information before just throwing things together. I was thinking of entering for March TOTM, but Im gonna hold off. Im not competing against that. lol.
Again, it looks very nice.
GT

Reef_Angel
02-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Aw come on GT! We've never even entered before. I'm surprised that no one has hounded us "Administrators" about where are tank was or if we really owned one! lol Your tank is beautiful and you had better enter TOTM!! I'd like to see a record number of tanks this month enter TOTM, and then more than that the next and the next, ect....Other than random shots of this and that, I think this is one of the first times we've actually posted a pic of the 180G! I think we might have once before when we first combined the 55 into the 180. I'll never forget Repto's famous words: "Where's the reef?" lol :D We probably still need a bit more reef You're right, you did get to see it when it was the "tank of sand and fog" hahaha! !
Thanks for the compliments! :)