PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp BUGZ!!!

pro2k
03-07-2005, 09:38 AM
There are tiny little white bugs all over the glass of my tank!! A few days ago there was just a few here and there but it seems they have been busy propagating and now they are everywhere!!! What the heck are these???

Reptoreef
03-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Can you get a pic??? Are they moving around or fixed in one spot??? Do they look like they have legs or like very small conicle shells???

Whoyah
03-07-2005, 10:56 AM
There a good thing!!! They are one of the big reasons you bought "live rock". They are commonly referred to as "pods". There is a variety of different types, copepods, isopods, and lot more that I can't think of right. I sure someone has a good article/link on them, so stay tuned.

pro2k
03-07-2005, 11:05 AM
They definitely have legs because they are moving all over the glass. They are really small so I can't really give a good description. I thought they were probably a good thing but there are so many of them! Does anything eat these bugs?

Reptoreef
03-07-2005, 11:11 AM
Sounds like copepods or mysis shrimp(the shrimp kinda resemble a larval fish)... If the ID is right, they're good and just about any fish should dig 'em. I know a 6 line wrasse would go to town. Mandarins are fond of 'em, too.

dakar
03-07-2005, 12:36 PM
The appearance of these guys means you've done things right and are continuing to do so. They are a great source of food for just about anything. You should start seeing them in your fuge soon as well.

But I'd warn you about the Mandarin's, they are very attractive and really move around a lot, however I wouldn't go adding one yet, your reef needs to be much more established, 'pods are about the only thing they will eat, many litterly starve to death if you don't have of a food source to keep them happy.

JustDavidP
03-08-2005, 12:00 PM
I agree with all above...

Especially if they are on the glass, sand or rocks. Just watch for the tiny buggers you may find on acropora. They are NO good!

Dave