PDA

View Full Version : Sea Apples

kmmahan
03-13-2005, 10:54 AM
Do any of you guys have a Sea Apple? Will a copper banded butterfly eat its tentacles? I heard that the sea apples emits poison-- is it easily stressed?

Reef_Angel
03-13-2005, 01:11 PM
I can't imagine why a copper banded butterfly would even be interested in a Sea Apple. What are you seeing that makes you ask this question? The Sea Apple is another member of the sea cucumber family, and they do have colorful feeding tentacles. What's happening in your tank that has you concerned, can you be more specific in your question? Sea apples are much like other cucumbers in that when they are busy grazing away in your tank, they look like an odd shaped sausage. When stressed, that's when they inflate themselves into an apple like shape. They're not the wisest choice of cucumber to put in your tank as they are often toxic to their tank mates. They look really cool though. Give us more detail about what you are looking for in an answer. I know I'm interested to know what you've got going on with yours. Do you have any pictures?? ......Angel :)

kmmahan
03-13-2005, 01:18 PM
Sorry for being so vague-- I don't have a sea apple-- I want to get one but Liveaquaria says that butterflies like to pick at their tentacles --- They do look very cool-- I don't want to get one though if there is a risk that they could release toxins into the water-- sorry for getting you exciting about me having one in my tank-- My message was kind of misleading-- lol

Reptoreef
03-13-2005, 04:38 PM
They are awesome to look at, but are very demanding as far as care(heavy flow area on the reef and ... I strongly suggest a very established aquarium. Butterflies will tend to nip at their feeding appendages while they're(the apples)are feeding from the water column. When stressed, they can exude holothurin(their toxin). Even if kept without duress, their eggs are extremely toxic to fish and will cause death. FWIW, I've had mine for about 3 years and it's ok for now, but there's always that chance.