PDA

View Full Version : Wanted zoanthids

FIshFreak
03-29-2005, 09:11 PM
I am looking for a frag of zoas. I live in NC. I don't care if it has 1 polyp or 20. This will be my first zoanthid so I am looking for a small colony that I can afford. No browns.
What are your prices?
Any donations would be GREATLY appreciated
Thanks

I accidentally posted this in the for sale/trade section

JustDavidP
03-30-2005, 12:43 PM
Dude..if I can get any more out of my system, I'll send them ALL to you for the price of postage...as long as you sign a release saying you'll never send them back to me....

When the weather cooperates up here in New England, I'll PM you for mailing.

D

FIshFreak
03-30-2005, 12:57 PM
That would be great! What colors do you have that you would ship me? You're not giving them to me because something is wrong with them right? How will you ship them? Overnight or priority?

JustDavidP
03-30-2005, 01:02 PM
:D I'd not give you anything that is "bad". I'm soooo NOT like that. I just hate the buggers.. those and mushrooms. They darned near took over my reef this year. I ripped em out by the fistfull and tossed them into snowbanks. I had a small colony of green zoas that was on the right of my reef (75G) within a year, they covered EVERY ROCK with at least one polyp...

I ended up replacing over 50 lbs of rock and scraping the bejezzus out of the rest of the rock. LO AN BEHOLD.. the buggers are growing AGAIN, from the little chunks of mat... *sigh* Shrooms too.. there was not ONE shroom in there (besides my beautiful ricordias) for months....yesterday, I found 6 of EM!! I'm going to kalk them tonight and teach em who's boss!!

I'll save the greens for you. I have another tiny colony of 5 or 6 polyps of orange and reds... they're yours too.

I'll ship as soon as weather in NE is over 45 degrees for a few days in a row. I'll ship them any way you want me to... your paying for shipment ;)

Dave

FIshFreak
03-30-2005, 01:10 PM
Ok thanks! I have never had corals shipped. DO you ship them in water? How much would overnight be to 28079? What about priority?
Whats the temp. there now?

FIshFreak
03-30-2005, 01:12 PM
What kind of mushrooms? Maybe you can ship one along to me?

JustDavidP
03-30-2005, 01:13 PM
It's actually a balmy 50 degrees today..but we just had snow last week. I figure I could send them soon if the weather holds this week into next.

I'll ship them bagged, in enough water to cover them, with triple bag and a warming pack in it. It will also be surrounded by those styrofoam peanuts.

Dunno about shipping costs.. I'm at the office and can't figure out the approximate weight just yet. I'll let you know.

D

JustDavidP
03-30-2005, 01:14 PM
He he he... we shall see...they are harder as they are not on small rocks... if I can scrape them off, I'll send them along too.. if not, and it could disrupt my tank, I'm nukin' em.

FIshFreak
03-30-2005, 01:32 PM
What kind of mushrooms are they? I want to research them to see if I want them.

JustDavidP
03-30-2005, 01:39 PM
http://www.acmereef.com/images/Red%20Mushrooms.jpg

http://www.acmereef.com/mushroom_anemones_marine_aquarium_fish_.html

FIshFreak
03-30-2005, 01:41 PM
Is that your picture? They are cool looking. I want some!
DO you have any pics of your zoas? I love looking at them

FIshFreak
03-30-2005, 01:43 PM
Wait are those the anemones? If they are then I don't want any. DO you have to feed them?

FIshFreak
03-30-2005, 01:47 PM
I will study up on them. I might want one or two.

JustDavidP
03-30-2005, 02:01 PM
That's not my picture, but it is the same shrooms. Here are some pictures of my shrooms when they were overtaking my tank. I may even have some of the green bumpy ones kicking around in the back of the reef.

There's also a picture of the green zoas, nestled between my ricordia and my old Xenia

Finally...here's an old shot of my original colony of red zoas.

Dave

JustDavidP
03-30-2005, 02:03 PM
They are not anemone.. per se...

They are coralimorph... they don' t MOVE like anemone, and you don't have to feed them. Unless you are like a reef GOD, you have plenty of dissolved solids that they can feed upon in the water column.

Dave

FIshFreak
03-30-2005, 02:09 PM
Are you going to ship them mounted or unmounted? If unmounted can I add the mushrooms with glue gel the same way as zoas?

JustDavidP
03-30-2005, 02:13 PM
The green zoas will be on a flat rock approx 3" X 3". It's a decent colony. The reds will be 5 or 6 polyps on a rock no larger than a marble. They were renegades that turned up in a pod pile. The shrooms will all be floating little red and/or green globs because they will be cut free from a rock that is about 2 feet long. You can't have my shelf rock ;) it has two crocea clams on it...hence the reason for ridding it of shrooms.

You can put them in the 20 gallon without much care unless it is real high flow. In that case, you could put them in a plastic cup, bottom filled with rock rubble, until they attach. The zoas, you can just place on the reef as is.

D

FIshFreak
03-30-2005, 02:38 PM
Will my lighting be ok? I have 130 watts. Half 10k and the other half actinic.

JustDavidP
03-30-2005, 03:02 PM
Shrooms and zoas will survive, but not thrive.

FIshFreak
03-30-2005, 03:04 PM
I was reading and some places said that I can just place them in the tank and let them grow where they want. Is this true? CAn I glue them to a rock?

FIshFreak
03-30-2005, 03:05 PM
I am thinking about changing the actinic bulb to a 50/50. Will this be better?

BUGZME
03-30-2005, 03:11 PM
I feed all my corals-everyday!

FIshFreak
03-30-2005, 03:14 PM
Even zoanthids? What do you feed them? And how?

BUGZME
03-30-2005, 03:22 PM
d.t's. cyclopez, brine shrimp puraid. Some zoo's you can't tell if they are eating or not but some close right over their food. You can glue any coral to a rock with super glue gel. They need good light to do real well.

JustDavidP
03-31-2005, 07:57 AM
I feed my fish every day and NEVER feed my corals other than the byproduct of the fish feeding. I've had 6 tanks going now for some time, and never fed a coral in them except for my open brain.

If I tried to feed my fish, and then my corals, my tank would be a swamp. Too much nutrient load. When I had open brain coral, I fed it, once a week. I have candy cane coral now, that started off as two polyps, two years ago, and now has over a dozen heads. I've never fed it directly.

I don't feed my clams either. They get plenty of food that is suspended in the water column.

If I had a tank without fish, I'd think about feeding corals.

JustDavidP
03-31-2005, 09:29 AM
BTW... I found that using crazy glue on shrooms is hit or miss. Typically, it makes my shrooms shrivel up and die. Both shrooms and zoas will attach rather quickly wherever you put them, as lon as it is not high flow.

FIshFreak
03-31-2005, 09:57 AM
Is is the gel kind? If not it will kill them.

FIshFreak
03-31-2005, 09:58 AM
I PMed you.

Reef_Angel
03-31-2005, 10:10 AM
I agree on the shrooms. They really have a mind of their own. If you try to glue them, they slime their way off the glue right away anyway. IMO, don't waste the costly crazy glue!! Press them along the edge of a rock along the bottom of your tank and they attach well that way, or find little crevices in your live rock that may be just deep enough to hold them in place until THEY decide to re-attach themselves. The important thing to remember with shrooms is not to disturb them once they seem to have found a place that looks like home. One little bump and you can send them spiraling in the low current of your tank and possible have them land deep between your rocks where you can't get them back out. :shock: :roll: That's where they'll grow too! :lol: It's happened to me more than once!! The do make a beautiful addition to a tank though. ....Angel

ewaitob
03-31-2005, 11:11 AM
If you still have a burning desire to share some shrooms my tanks are ready and able. Do you want more medical supplies in trade. Suture maybe??? I think the clarkii's would like the company.

There is or was a thread on mounting frags. I have used the epoxy and my turbos will knock the frags lose. This has happened even several days after I set them. :evil:

I'd love Dave to stop by the house if he wants ---- you too of course!!

Erik

JustDavidP
03-31-2005, 11:46 AM
I only use the gels...Rarely do I use epoxy. Typically just to bond LR to LR. Crazy Glue Gel works best for mounting corals for me.

FIshFreak
03-31-2005, 12:21 PM
Are you going to try to ship out my frags next week? That would be best.

JustDavidP
03-31-2005, 12:35 PM
If I can...

I work 8-6 and then coach baseball and am a cub scout leader. I'll do my best to get them out, but can't promise an exact date.

D

fishys
07-31-2005, 02:58 PM
hey i would like some of the mushrooms and zoos if possible if there are any!!