PDA

View Full Version : Algae & Pests Brown Algae

jerryc
03-31-2005, 01:31 PM
OK i have been vary Lucky with nuisance algae, But all at ones the brown algae has
come calling on me.
As iv not had this in all the time iv been keeping reefs whit do you recommend?
Will anything eat this?

At the time I'm just vacuuming and Turkey blasting.

RODI 0 TDS
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
alk 2.97
calcium 380
phosphate ? iv been out for a month or longer need to order one

Reptoreef
03-31-2005, 11:42 PM
Brown algae(diatoms) loves silicates. Most ro will filter about 90% of silicates in tap water, but since you have di also, I can't imagine what it may be from and it's usually a first algae colonizer of new systems. The other choice would be dinoflagellates... it is usually introduced on LR or coral and thrives in systems rich in organic material.
To aide in ridding diatoms, syphon and remove as with cyano(don't allow it back into the water column. For dino's, run a uv sterilizer or ozone.

jerryc
04-01-2005, 05:55 AM
Wonder if it passable can be from adding the new sump / fuge

Reptoreef
04-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Sure could be... probably diatoms. Keep it clean and let it "re-cycle" and you should find it's all ok.

davejnz
04-01-2005, 10:43 PM
I'd guess its dinoflaggelates if it comes off with a baster.Do microbubbles get trapped in it?Is it stringy?It can be a pain,I've dealt with it in the past.Lots of waterchanges,frequent carbon changing,you know,the typical algae remedy response.It did take a month before it was gone.

jerryc
04-02-2005, 05:16 AM
Dave no microbubles but yes it is a little stringy. Iv been using a power head to get it of the rock.

Reef_Angel
04-02-2005, 11:08 PM
Do you have a picture of it? Is it growing on your live rock?

Reef_Angel
04-02-2005, 11:21 PM
You don't need to post any pictures. We have the same thing. It has just started showing here and there in our tank. I'm reading about it now, but everything seems to be pushing products to fix the problem. So I turn to our faithful board of intelligence and look for the natural cure to this problem. I hate to see this get out of hand. HELP! Please!!

Reptoreef
04-03-2005, 01:05 AM
Treat it as cyano.... and be patient. Tends to follow when lighting is enhanced.