PDA

View Full Version : Disaster & Prevention lucky day!!!

Reptoreef
04-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Guess what I woke to this morning??? How about the fresh beginnings of an electrical fire. Guess I just put off that 6 way for far too long... salt creep made it's way and finally caused an arc. The lucky part is I was home and the damage was very minimal. Take my advice... don't wait any possibilities!!!

Repto

Whoyah
04-05-2005, 11:58 PM
Wow!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Thats kind of scary. Much damage??? Lucky you were home.

kbmdale
04-06-2005, 12:37 AM
that is scary..glad your and your critters are OK. I've heard of VHO fires but not many surge strip fires.

dakar
04-06-2005, 08:36 AM
Ummm yup, doesn't take more than a drop or two of SW to really smoke a power strip.... not that we'd really know... Angel and I are tied at a score of 1 each. Both times we were present and doing something and a drip down the arm or whatever and POOF! Working on a new plan for a load center of sorts to mount away from the tank to prevent it from happening ever again.

Explosions and smoke are cool..... just not in the house... REPTO! :) glad everything is okay.

Shultzybabe
04-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Sure scares the sh@! out of me!!

Reef_Angel
04-07-2005, 02:05 PM
No kidding!! You should see one of those baby's blow!! Water went over the back of the tank when I broke the siphon trying to get a fish out of the overflow box. Sparks were popping and flashing all over. The tank lights were flickering...this was before the new lighting Thank God, and I'm trying to kick that burning mess out from under the water flow while trying to stop it (wondering if I'm gonna electrocute myself to death standing in water). You know the situation is all wrong, but your looking at all the fish and coral in the tank and your mind is racing. What do you do? I just kept kicking power out of the walls. I can't believe I didn't get zapped. THAT really scared the crappers out of me!!! That power strip and everything else back there was burned beyond recognition. I got the fish out of the overflow though. That's something that we still have to remedy on our set up. We still get a fish in there now and then. Last time it happened , it was our Coral Beauty that went in there, and we have not idea how she even got in there. She's a pretty good sized fish!
I'm glad you all are safe and that you were there to handle it Jason. It is very scary!!!! You have to take care of those beautiful girls you have there!!
Hey Chels....how ya doing? :smt039 Take care all! .....Angel

Grandmaster_Toad
04-08-2005, 11:08 AM
I had a water bed leak steadily drip into a power strip. Imagine my surprise when I wole up tho the intermittant sizzling sound......shhzzz shzz shzzz shzzz. "whats that, smoke ?" AGHHHH.! The strip was all melted and mangled looking but it never stopped supplying power! Good thing Rubber waterbed bladders dont conduct electricity. lol Yikes.... Hope everything is good with your tank.
GT

Reptoreef
04-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Everything is great!!! Looks alot better behind the tank now that all of the electrical is wall mounted and not just a huge rat nest on the floor.

davejnz
04-08-2005, 09:43 PM
I've fried a few powerstrips in my day too,fortunately they never caught fire.

ramoth41
04-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Wow glad your ok! :) Ron had a ballest short out on him and zapped him pretty good one morning. The "wiggle the wire it will come on" didn't work :-? :ooops: ! All of a sudden there was this loud pop-bang He jumped I jumped and the lights went out! It took 3 years before we finaly put a dedicated circit in for just the tank! Fortunatly we haven't had the nesr disater of a fire! Actually I'm amazed it hasn't caught fire! I'll have to dig up the picture of the back of the tank! You'll see what I mean! :lol:
sarah

Reef_Angel
04-11-2005, 09:11 PM
....and we all could have avoided this if we would just have taken the time to get the strip off the floor! That was impossible though because we had cords coming from all directions, stretched as far as they could to reach that wonderful strip for POWER! As long as it worked it would be ok until we got around to getting it done the right way. The "right way" is the way you are forced to do it after you are nearly fried with your tank, while witnessing your wonderful power strip SNAP, CRACKLE and POP its way into oblivion.....and FIRE! Do we ever learn? :)

Reptoreef
04-12-2005, 01:14 AM
What can I say??? I am a recovering knuckle-head... dedicated to recovering for life. However, to remind myself of this, I'm bound to make a couple of bad choices here and there... it's obviously a part of the therapy involved... LOL!!!

Repto