PDA

View Full Version : Nitrogen Cycle & Phosphate Water chemistry

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
04-12-2005, 01:56 PM
Can someone please make a list and post the proper chemistry levels we should be at in out tanks? Example Nitrate =0 -.10 Ph 8.0-8.2 and so on. I had a reference list but I can't seem to find it. I tried to search for them but I wasn't finding what i was looking for.

Thanks a lot.

Angie

Reptoreef
04-12-2005, 11:01 PM
Ammonia < 0.01 ppm
nitrite <0.1 ppm
nitrate < 25 ppm
PH 8.0-8.5
temp 72-80
sg 1.021-1.026
Ca 350-450
Alk 9-12 dKH
Phos 0

Whoyah
04-12-2005, 11:34 PM
One more:

Magnesium 1300-1500

dakar
04-13-2005, 08:55 AM
How about Iodine/Iodide for inverts and some coral?

1-2ppm sound reasonable?

I know some softies thrive on it, how about SPS varieties? Anyone know if they have any demand/need for it?

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
04-13-2005, 08:57 AM
Thank you Repto. I appreciate it.

How do I raise my alk? I tested yesterday using a salifert test kit and it was 8.0 dkh or 2.86 meq/L. I know it is not severly low, but I'm still having problems keeping my Calcium up.

The next test kits being ordered are mag. and phosphate.

Thanks,
Angie

dakar
04-13-2005, 09:33 AM
Angie, to raise the Alkalinty, we go the cheap route, baked baking soda, I add 4 tsp's per day any time the alk drops below 9dKH, I just mix it into a 2 gallon top off and drip it in. (just until I get the new top auto top off built)

By baking it, you remove the majority of CO2 from it, which in turn helps reduce the raising effect on PH. I do large batches at a time (several boxes), spread it out on a cookie sheet and bake @450 degrees for about an hour, store as airtight as possible (gallon ziplock bag works great).

I understand washing soda will work as well, but I haven't looked for it around us so haven't tried it yet, not sure what the effects on PH are either.

Reptoreef
04-13-2005, 11:05 AM
PH buffer is a 5:1 baking soda:washing soda. C02 will actually lower PH. Washing soda will fire up your PH quite quickly, though(hence the mix... doesn't effect PH too badly... more for the Alk. Washing soda is baked baking soda. Angie, sounds like you may need to keep up a bit more on keeping your reactor charged(PH of 12-12.5)... with evap and auto kalk top-off, you should find that your Ca/Alk levels are more stable. BTW, test your mag levels, too(1300-1300). Ooops... sorry Whoyah... I see you got that covered.

Repto

dakar
04-13-2005, 11:33 AM
oops got the effects part flipped around..... thanks Jason.

Reptoreef
04-14-2005, 12:30 AM
I thought so... no prob. How about ya, Angie... any more info???

davejnz
04-14-2005, 10:22 PM
I like to use NSW S.G. 1.026,lots of synthetic salt mixes are low in Magnesium and by mixing full strength,the levels will be higher.Baking soda will slightly lower PH as mentioned by Repto,I use it unbaked 2-3 times a wk.As well as Calcium Chloride to balance the alkalinity provided by baking soda.12ml of liquid calcium(kent) is what is needed to balance out 1 tsp of baking soda.Alkalinity(bicarbonate/carbonate) is the limiting factor in calcification in stoney corals.Many test calcium often and strive to keep it at 420ppm.By monitoring alkalinty depletion,you can pretty much tell where your calcium is at because they are tied together.Once the 2 levels are balanced it becomes much easier to maintain without much testing.I only test calc monthly and its been at 420ppm,i test for alk 2times a week(in my new tank)and by adding a balnced baking soda/CaChl supplement,the levels have been consistent.

davejnz
04-14-2005, 10:41 PM
For those of you using kalk(reactor or auto-top-off)with smaller tanks and some with large tanks keep a keen eye on PH.In my old 30 gal,I dosed full strength kalk 24/7 via float-valve in sump.This caused high PH(8.5) and calc/alk levels started to become very hard(impossible) to maintain.This was because cal/alk was getting deposited all over the sump and pumps in a process called abiotic precipitation.Carbon dioxide is linked to this as well(kalk requires CO2 to convert into the usable forms of Cal/alk)
CO2 can be in short supply in many reef tanks and high PH/precipitation/deposits
can often be fixed just by adding an airstone in the sump.I used to advocate the 24/7 method but after my past experiences i will probably go back to just night time additions where PH is naturally lower and CO2 levels are higher.Although,the baking soda/CaChl method has been very easy to maintain levels for me.

Reptoreef
04-15-2005, 12:15 AM
This being said and agreed upon... I also use a ca reactor and just allow the effluent to begin at the beginning of the 55 sump/fuge with the kalk effluent being just before the return pump. I've found winter stability to be 8.0-8.2(day/night) due to atmospheric CO2(windows closed) and during the warmer months a stability of 8.2-8.4 .

davejnz
04-15-2005, 08:12 AM
A good article to read discussing PH,CO2,and alkalinity
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/index.htm