PDA

View Full Version : Nitrogen Cycle & Phosphate Test Kits - Back up

MUCHO REEF
05-11-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm curious, does anyone believe in back up test kits of another brand as a fail safe? One could easily amass hundreds if not thousands of dollars in corals in their tank along with equal amounts if not more in hardware, componets, tank, stand etc. If for some strange reason you received a bad test kit which didn't yield the correct results which could cause a tank crash or serious die off; would you have a back up? I have always invested in back ups with a tank full of expensive corals. Since I'm not one who employs little technology in my tank, I've always relied on close daily observation and log entries, good husbandry and back up test kits which I use if and when I have a suspious reading. How about you? Do you, don't you, or do you believe it's a waste of time?

Mucho Reef

Skyhigh
05-11-2010, 11:23 AM
For sure i all ways have 2 of each test kit, there has been a few times where i got a crazy reading just to come to find out that the test kit went bad. I even went as far as buying 2 refractometers.

MUCHO REEF
05-11-2010, 11:34 AM
It's good to know I'm not alone. I even keep a spare heater, (like you ) a second refractometer, a spare bulb, and back up test kits.

Which kits are you using as primary and secondary, or do you use them interchangeably?

Skyhigh
05-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Always have great luck with Salifert.. I just replace the older one every 6 to 7 month, or sooner if one give a bad reading.

ReeferRob
05-11-2010, 11:57 AM
I have multiple back ups for each element. I go even one step further and have a third back up of a different brand should the need arise.
I do keep back up heater, bulbs, temp probes and wet sides to all my VT. Working on adding back up return pumps for each tank.

pjr
05-11-2010, 12:03 PM
I have also experienced problems with test kits going bad and providing bad readings. However, that doesn't seem to be a problem with the Tropic Marin kits. Not sure why... but they seem to have better shelf life.

stunreefer
05-11-2010, 04:03 PM
I keep back-ups for levels that I test. With that said the only things I test/monitor regularly are salinty (I use a refractometer and a lab-grade floating hydrometer), temp, and Nitrate. In my QT tank I use a Seachem Ammonia badge and I have an API liquid kit as well.

I do have LaMotte Alk and Ca kits, and an ELOS Mag kit but I don't regularly use them. All of my corals are tough as nails. When I use to keep an Acropora dominant system, it was a whole 'nother story ;)

As you mentioned Mucho, most of my (personal) "testing" is through observation.

Anyone keeping multiple test kits keep in mind they do have a shelf-life... many are a year, some more, some less.

I do keep back-up powerheads and return pump with fittings already on it.

For sure i all ways have 2 of each test kit, there has been a few times where i got a crazy reading just to come to find out that the test kit went bad. I even went as far as buying 2 refractometers.
Since when do you test?!? :rolleyes:

Skyhigh
05-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Sense i started running a CA reactor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BeakerBob
05-11-2010, 08:57 PM
I can see the logic of maintaining a backup test kit, but have to wonder how you use it.

Do you use the 2nd kit because you don't trust the result from the first kit? If so, then which results do you go with....the first or second test?

Why don't you use a test standard (sample with known concentration) to check the kit out for accuracy before testing the tank water?

Sir Patrick
05-11-2010, 09:01 PM
I dont have a back up, personaly- but I do test against freinds kits, every now and then, just to be sure. I also utilize the free tests at my local fish store, when I am under the impression somthing is off.

Tom@HaslettMI
05-11-2010, 09:51 PM
No backup test kits for me. I have back ups for some mechanical components but extra test kits would be extraneous for my current livestock and system.

Tom