PDA

View Full Version : coral i.d please

BUGZME
05-15-2005, 05:36 PM
Does anyone know what this coral is?

Reptoreef
05-15-2005, 08:17 PM
i KNOW!!! It's a definite "I belong in Repto's Tank sps"... I'll prove it too. Just run it up and leave it here. LOL... looks like a monti spp... very nice!!!

Repto

BUGZME
05-15-2005, 09:09 PM
A Monti what? I put this pic on reef central and nobody knows what it is either! I guess I really lucked out huh

jerryc
05-16-2005, 06:13 AM
Bugs that is the one i lost send it home please :-D

dakar
05-16-2005, 10:16 AM
Repto and Jerry are both off, by about a 1,000 miles. (That belongs in WI) :)

I've never seen anything quite like that yet, very unique.

Reptoreef
05-16-2005, 11:08 AM
I was looking into a few books(Sprung, Borneman)... no real identity, yet. In fact, the only thing that looked similar was a pillar forming acro, minus the plating-type monti base.

Reef_Angel
05-16-2005, 11:31 AM
That is very unique looking coral. You really found yourself a beautiful prize! Did you just happen onto this beauty in an LFS?

BUGZME
05-16-2005, 04:38 PM
No I bought it from the pres of the idaho reef society. I talked to him today and he still thinks it's a grape But I really don't think so.

TOOMANYFISH
05-16-2005, 05:16 PM
I've seen that in a friends tank and he told me it was some type of monti

ramoth41
05-16-2005, 09:57 PM
I found somthing in Spung's "Corals Quick Reference Guide"
Montipora Digitata..(cabbage,lettuce,finger coral).. From the Red Sea Indo Pacific laggons,reef flats and protected upper reef slopes--Very shallow water strong light.
Purple morph-- .....encrusting or branching.... VERY light weight skeleton.....small polyps in depressions over colony surface.....simular to Porites corals
There is pic on page 31 Looks alot like what you have there! Says it's pretty hardy and non aggressive! I had some monti that grew like mad untill I had my big bleaching crash!
hope that helps! :D
sarah

Reef_Angel
05-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Would anyone happen to have any orange or purple Montipora capricornis? Would this grow from a frag if I happened to come across a nice piece of one? Also, if I go ahead and order it, does anyone have an opinion on the color. Both are pretty in pictures, but I'm wondering about how their true color and which is the nicest. Thanks!

ramoth41
05-18-2005, 11:45 AM
From what I read in the "Guide" they need HIGH light to keep their colors.
So if you get one put it as close to the light as you can. But not in a strong current but a steady one. I've only had brown but the color is just a "morph" so growing from a frag should be realtivly easy! Ours was just a little frag and prolly tripled in size over a couple of months. So you should't have any problem growing a nice piece. As far as color preference...... anything other than green or brown!! lol Only because I have SO MUCH stuff in green/brown! lol
Hope that helps!
sarah

Reef_Angel
05-18-2005, 06:39 PM
Thanks Sarah.... now all I have to do is just get me a nice piece of it so it will grow like crazy in my tank. It looks so pretty.

jerryc
05-18-2005, 07:13 PM
The CAPS or not one that need super hi light good light but not like Acorpora
with the lighting you have i thank about 1/2 way up will work good for you.

Start them out low at first then after a few days put them in their permanent home

The Orange is a little hardier then the purple