PDA

View Full Version : Large Reef Aquarium(91g-180g) Chelle's Ocean

Chelle's Ocean
06-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Ok- I have tried this earlier, but got thrown offline, and lost my post...probably from one of the storms :doh: soooo...let's try it again:
Here are my tanks:
180 gallon mixed reef (lil' ocean in progress)
14 gallon biocube
5 gallon (houses a frogfish named "Bubba", a hermit, a tonga snail, and a sea whip)
1 gallon (used for housing the feeder fish/shrimp for the frogfish, as well as algae for the tangs)

This is my Lil' Ocean. Stop by and visit whenever you'd like. Comment whenever, I'll be checking back in between my daily activities.

Chelle's Ocean
06-06-2010, 07:18 PM
the biocube holds my mated pair of clowns, who just took to the newly placed green BTA as of yesterday morning! YEAH!! I was beginning to think they would never find it- but when I got up yesterday morning, there was mamma.....just sitting there.
I think they are 'expecting' again! Yes! I am so determined to have success with this next stream of clutches. I had them originally in the main tank, and they kept laying on a really tall, heavy statue that I could never get to. So took it, and them out, and moved them to their own tank. So.....wish me luck for mamma and pappa nemo! :highfive3:

Sir Patrick
06-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Sounds sweet!! Would love to see the mixed reef and the frogfish!!

Are all these tanks plumbed to one system, or all seperate? What kind of equipment ya runnin?

Lookin forward to seeing this one!!

Chelle's Ocean
06-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Also......who here has a sea hare? I now have 2- working on my third. The one I am truly looking for, is the one that I truly want. But the other two were purchased in hopes of eating some hair algae I created by doing a little experiment. Anyhoo.......I have a black sea hare, that lol you have to see it to believe it, but he has managed to get himself stuck in a hole of my frag rack! I swear it is funny, I laughed so hard when I saw him. I was looking for the other one that blends in with the rockwork, and found "Sluggo #2" stuck. He looks like a chubby guy who tried making a getaway on a funny movie and got stuck in the window! He keeps trying to go through, as much as I gently keep pushing him back the way he started. (they do have a small shell inside, so he won't fit in the hole all the way through) But darn it if he isn't persistent! I will post a photo, It really should be on America's Most Stubborn Marine Animals or something, lol
(oh, and just to let anyone out there be aware, as I am sure there might be a concern....the 2 sea hares that I have do NOT eat hair algae, they eat the very very fine algae that grows on the glass only and they eat the brine that falls on the sand. DON'T ASK ME WHY? I haven't read of a sea hare eating brine shrimp- but these do They do not go on the rock. So, just to let those out there be aware, my sea hares are not starving by any means- under normal situations I would only house (1). But I am still looking for the one I need (ordered him online and they sent me something completely different without telling me, and have not returned my email). So Sluggo#1 and Sluggo#2 are fat and healthy........Still looking for the one I originally wanted.

Chelle's Ocean
06-06-2010, 07:33 PM
No- they are all separate systems.
I will be posting the stats here in a bit.....gotta do some 'real world' stuff, lol then I can jump back online to my Ocean Fantasy! :thumbsup: Be back in a bit......

Bella127
06-06-2010, 07:52 PM
We will be waiting , patiently :thumbsup:

Chelle's Ocean
06-06-2010, 09:18 PM
:angelsad: - Ok I am back.....decided instead to try to get Sluggo out of the frag rack, instead of leaving him there over night. He had been there much of the day, and I kept going back to check on him, hoping he would wiggle himself backwards and out of the hole. But no. I used a feeding wand (blunt tip,flat) to gently tap/nudge him on the head, he would shrink up away from the stick and move backward, then stop and after awhile he would stretch forward again. We did this over and over as I tried other ways - put on a glove and tried to gently pull him out (ever try to pull a snake from a hole....they just retract) he did too. So, when I signed off earlier above, I went to check on him...and there was a single droplet of purple-red ink coming from him...but not moving. Just a single drop swaying back and forth. I pulled the entire rack out - again - and again tried to get him out without causing him any more stress than he's caused himself. But, he was not alive - his upper portion is so completely chubbed out (that's the only way to describe it) and his lower portion is stuck as he wedged the shell up near the hole. The only thing I can now think of, is to let him sit out, and hope that he dries out a bit like a regular slug - almost to where he would shrink, if that makes sense? I truly don't want to damage him, or cut the hole around him (yes I realize he's no longer living, but I still don't like to do that...he was still part of my tank. ) Has anyone at all gone through this.as weird as this is...what did you do to get a "hare out of the hole"? And if this is the first time this has happened (hopefully it's not) then stay tuned for updates on how I get him out........................... R.I.P. Sluggo#2:angelsad:

Sir Patrick
06-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Thats is quite the story!! Sorry to hear about sluggo #2.

Im gonna have to think about this one for a bit.

Chelle's Ocean
06-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Yeah, very disheartening. I get attached to all my little critters in my tank. And I hate to see something go. (luckily- I can honestly say I have never killed anything, and my water chemistry has always been good-from the very start 3 years ago- nothing has died off) But to commit slugicide? That just kills me! He was too dumb:doh: or too stubborn to go back through the hole...instead he kept pushing forward trying to get through. It bothers me that there wasn't something I could do to get him out. Sad. So sad. Let me know what anyone thinks of to get him out.
Good nite all...................(sniff sniff sob)

MizTanks
06-07-2010, 02:07 AM
OH my! Is this what happened to my sea hare too? That's how I found her. Dead in a hole. What was left of her anyways :(

Chelle's Ocean
06-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Hmm... that would make sense, I guess. It's odd that they don't back out and try an alternate route instead of continuing to wedge themselves in tighter. Anyway, the frag rack was a normal rack I bought online -Eshopps corner rack (6x6)- so that gives yo an idea as to how small the hole was... He ballooned himself so big around the top portion, that you could see his skin stretched around the shell on the bottom portion. Still look at the tank saying, "Why didn't he just do this? Or go here?" But I have to remember it's a sea hare, not an octopus. So....I am still looking for the one that eats hair algae.
I have not forgotten to post pics....I am waiting until the hair algae is gone. Which will be shortly I hope as my LFS has a lead on the sea hare I am looking for. Once my algae is gone...I will be a posting fool. Until then, I will just throw some other photos, not too long ago.

Chelle's Ocean
06-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Lots of room to play with........................

Sir Patrick
06-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Lotts of room for sure. Nice tank!

Chelle's Ocean
06-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks Chris - I started putting a few pics in the gallery, I forgot about that. So I will post there instead of taking up space here in the posts. I LOVE my tank. The size is perfect. I got it from a friend of ours. We upgraded everything except the original tank (all glass) the stand and the lil giant motor. Everything else we upgraded and went BIG in size. Lol my UV is huge, I love my light system, and my refuge/sump is cool.....if I could just make up my mind as to what I want to do with it. Sometimes I use it to ease frags into the system, sometimes I will put a fish in there before adding it to the main tank, and sometimes I think it would be cool to have a couple of sea horses in the fuge. But mostly I always have a clump of red algae growing for the tangs.

igot2gats
06-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Ok, you've teased us now. Let's see a pic of your Frogfish.

Chelle's Ocean
07-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Jeff...sorry, just getting my feet wet here again on CR, I will take some pics tomorrow in the daylight (his bulb blew)

Sir Patrick
07-30-2010, 11:39 PM
lookin forward to the new pics!!!

Chelle's Ocean
07-31-2010, 07:45 PM
Ok......well, sorry, no pick of the frogfish today. I forgot til just now, have been online ordering 'critters' for my gha issue. And , .....uhm......yeah.....window shopping as well,lol:
http://www.auctionreef.com/prod_details.php?pid=NDMx#large_images/62211.jpg
so cool. This is such a pretty color.
I think once my gha is gone, I will begin the bidding again......I am missing out on the auctions. There are a few that I visit....but thought I'd share this photo of the Rhyzo - very nice indeed.

ReeferRob
08-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Wow that is a hot looking Rhizo for sure, have you won any auctions or purchased anything from them before?

ReeferRob
08-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Wow that is a hot looking Rhizo for sure, have you won any auctions or purchased anything from them before?

streetrodder007
08-01-2010, 05:04 PM
DO you run real Ocean water, or do you mix your own saltwater ? Advantage to living by the ocean, Free saltwater.

ReeferRob
08-01-2010, 05:09 PM
DO you run real Ocean water, or do you mix your own saltwater ? Advantage to living by the ocean, Free saltwater.

LOL, as long as it's not near a hot tourist spot. Don't want to add more pee water!

Chelle's Ocean
08-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Rob........no, I actually have bid on several different auction sites, but usually get outbid when it blows past $100 :(, have missed out on a few beauties..but I would rather go and pick something up like that and spend the $$$ and make sure it is healthy etc. I have bought from frags.org, with success, and also coral2sell.com is food (I believe there are several sellers up by you).
I will keep trying on bidding- but I am very particular on what I put into my tank. So I don't mind missing out sometimes. Now.....that's not to say that if something really calls to me, that I won't be sitting up all nite bidding my heart out,lol...and will def post a pic of that one.

Bill..... nope. No seawater :thumbsup: (and with the oil spill lately.....can you blame me?) plus I do not want any unwanted bacteria or 'things' in my tank that I don't know about.
I actually do not run my tank 'by the book' and alot of people galk at what I say I do, but it works for me. And when they see my tank, they say "well, I don't know how you do that, but wow, it looks great!" I have read books, still do - Bob Fenner is one I follow on WWM.com, but I actually use bottled water. (lol yeah, I bought / recycled ALOT of water bottles in the set up stages to fill my tank)
So, no - no ocean water.......plain old drinking water (RO) from Walmart.:thumbsup:

streetrodder007
08-02-2010, 05:05 PM
You know I always feel," if it works for you, more power to you". Just curious why you buy bottled instead of buying a RO/DI ?
I store my RO water that I make in 5 gal Culligan containers. they have Very tight fitting lids that help keep the TDS at 0 . They are recycled and free. It takes 1 1/2 hour to fill my 5 gal. jug with good water. I have a few of them though that I always keep ready to go.

Chelle's Ocean
08-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Bill...not quite sure what happened to my post yesterday? But I guess I got timed out and it didn't save. I have bought bottled h2o from the getgo. I want to make sure I know everything that goes into my tank (took awhile for me to get it, so I am kindof OCD about what goes in, who touches it, no one does maintenance or feedings but me....although hubby does the wiring/hose installations,:big_grin: - he's my handytankman!)
I just prefer the bottled water, knowing it is pure and clean ro/di I am putting in there... so far all this time, no problems.......knock on wood, lol

Chelle's Ocean
08-04-2010, 07:30 PM
(we live on the water, small island...so no city water, we have well water and a very nice, very perfect water system that we upgraded when moving in- however, there is always a chance in the back of my head that something may get in my tank..... it is my baby, lol, and I am just freaky about it...so even though hubby has tried to get me to get a ro/di unit, saying it will pay for itself...I agree with that fact- but still am firm in not taking a chance of changing it after all this time :snorkel: )....yeah...I am finicky about my tank, lol

Chelle's Ocean
08-04-2010, 07:39 PM
:fish2: Wow....... I need to get off this computer! I am seeing too many listings, looking up too many fishie facts about my baby clowns to be, my mind is boggled. Just realized that one of the sponsors is someone I have been following/contacting on ebay & coral2sell.... duh me, just noticed the banner above, so Hey there Frag Frenzy!! Glad to see you here, lol!!

cg5071
08-04-2010, 11:15 PM
i just found a sponser like that too :) (premium aquatics) i fould a clearance item i wanted, then i found my order would be enough for free shipping. AND THEN... lol i came here and saw they offered 5% off for "liking" them on facebook! so other than spending money i shouldnt be, i will be getting a great deal doing it :) assuming they dont sellout in the next couple of days :(

Chelle's Ocean
08-05-2010, 02:08 PM
www.premiumaquatics.com is very good....Mike I believe his name is, unless I am confusing him with someone else (?)

Chelle's Ocean
08-13-2010, 04:47 PM
:skeleton_cake_flame
Happy Friday the 13th everyone!!!!!!!

Wooooooooooooooooooooooo.......what kind of strange and scary things have happened to you this week?

Me?................almost got annihilated by Monti!!
But I narrowly escaped the grip of death!!!

lol.....Monti,(if I didn't already say), is my very large very in charge haddoni carpet. And while I was trying to reach into a very delicately tricky spot in a cave to get a mushroom that fell in there.... well, Monti decided to reach out and touch someone....me!
:wacko:
He stretched out while I was staring into the cave minding my own business, and clung to me, beginning to wrap himself around my hand.....well..... no harm darn at all- not even a little bit- but he scared the ba-jeezes outta me!

Just felt like sharing with ya! Have a great weekend everyone!

cg5071
08-14-2010, 08:55 AM
That sounds like a good time :) I would love a carpet someday but i have several other wants first. lol. I have always wanted a long tenticle, and my friend just showed me his new one. Very pretty.

I didnt check your link but if it is the sponser here then ya. All the stuff was great so far and i got some $10 pc bulbs that i needed anyways. I am hooking up the seio superpumps and controller today! and a new live rock addition for Tommyb here. Wow i will be busy. Also i found 2 pistol shrimp, one with eggs and a couple of nudi's I need to identify before i decide to put them in my tank or not.

ReeferRob
10-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Michelle it's been too long, how are you, how are things?

Chelle's Ocean
10-16-2010, 09:50 AM
Hey guys! sorry- Have been busy with tons of stuff!

Actually just finally started a job (after 9months of being laid off) and am soaking in as much as possible to jump into everything. So- unfortunately I have neglected my forums.... forgive me ;)

Ok- well.... here's a quickie update:

My algae crashed. So- not 100% upset- as I know this happens, and I have been feeding my rots- until I get the algae starter kit from Reed.

My rots are still there- I am feeding them some Lactobacillus Rhamnosus I received from Marc Weiss - he sent me a package of things to try / blog about- and wow.... his SPS Grow and Soft Coral Grow are great- my corals love them! :)

My clowns were not happy the last time I moved the pot from their tank to the larval tank- and thus they postponed breeding again- so I think I will just keep doing the turkey baster idea I started with - it worked, and the clowns maintained their schedule.

In the meantime, their is someone on facebook that I have been following- and they have just bred/got past meta as well- so I am still hopeful, lol. It will happen one day I am sure- even it only 1.

Today there is a meeting in Florida- regarding the discussion on the other forum I am on- relating to the FWC and MACNA and the entire State of Florida- so..... stay tuned for updates if for any other reason to see how it compares to your state. :fish2:

Ok- gotta go- be back soon promise!

Chelle's Ocean
11-15-2010, 06:53 PM
:tear: I am very sad.....came home tonight...my Pappa Blenney (starry eyed blenney) has died.
He had not been eating right lately....he is alittle over 3yrs old..... he was one of my favorites.

He was such a character....... I am sad..... just felt like sharing :(

MizTanks
11-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Awww Chelle my heart goes out to you-I truly know how you feel-I too have recently lost my favorite fish-one of my first too. I bet her pistol shrimp pal is sad too.

http://tapa.tk/mu/639ce69c-0d86-4bf0.jpgYellow Nose Prawn Goby

Chelle's Ocean
11-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Sorry to hear that Jamie- yeah...it's tough when you have losses.... I really liked him. I had gotten him as a baby... and he grew SO big.....

I am narrowing down my forums...as I cannot possibly stay loyal to all of them, lol.

Haha you guys have made the list of Stay Ons, lol- along with a few others and MBI- I want to stay on the ones that will benefit me more along the coral propagation and clown breeding... not so much the other ones that are really not going anywhere- that sounds mean... but I keep getting involved in circles on other forums,.... and need to make a choice.

So- CR has made the list of forums I want to stay on, lol.....

So on to the forums... see you there, haha!

Sir Patrick
11-22-2010, 07:47 PM
^ Glad to hear we made your list!

I really enjoy watching your tank progress, and all the stories behind it.

ReeferRob
11-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Congrats on the job, that's got to feel great!

Are those clowns back at it or what?LOL

MizTanks
11-23-2010, 07:43 AM
Yahooooo!! You have so much to offer us Chelle. I'm happy you made our list too :)

Sent from my iPhone while chasing Forest Gump!

Chelle's Ocean
11-26-2010, 06:35 PM
Happy Holidays everyone :) !!

Yes...the clowns are at it...although I am taking a break, (sad to say, but true) until I read my book like twice... so I know what to ask on the MBI site or here... and get myself set up 100% right from the start... (the set up I had did well...but it is now being used for something else......)

SEA HARE BABIES!!!

Yup...I had been on a hunt for a particular sea hare - check out my facebook page for a photo, anyway- a LFS FINALLY got something in that resembled it after me asking all around for what seemed like 4ever!

So, I now have "2" sea hares- different types in my main tank, 'slowly' eating at the gha... (which we craeted in result to an experiment...see previous info on that,lol)

I had noticed something "odd" in my tank...and was puzzled, like "What the @#$$# is that? Who went near my tank?" (house rules=don't go near mom's tank) lol

It was so odd looking... and the color is a DEEP RED - didn't match anything I have in my tank, and I know 'I' didn't put it there... so I was puzzled. When I tried to get it out - it floated off with the current, then behind a rock.

Needless to say, I caught the lil buggers doing it today - laying eggs ! Both of them!
I have been on several sites/forums looking this stuff up- but they are all vague...
here is what I got:

http://www.reefcentral.org/forums/showthread.php?t=831753

http://www.divetheblue.net/critters.php
(look at like the 25th from the bottom up- resembles mine)

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/sea-stars/3675-help-sea-hare-eggs.html

So - needless to say I am going to try and raise these lil guys too...lol... I am not asking for it, but mother nature keeps making babies in my tank- so I can't ignore them, lol.

WHOMEVER knows anything of sea hare population/breeding....fill me in with info - advice - links, whatever... looking up lots, finding minimal.

Clowns are very happy :) Still "doin' the do" lol.

Ordered more phyto (for clown babies / sea hare babies)

Busy days ahead, lol.... and Christmas is coming fast! Gotta find time for shopping in the midst of turkey basting babies, lol!

Have a great evening all! Gotta go eat some pumpkin roll,......mmmmmmm....pumpkin roll....

cg5071
11-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Congrats1 Glad to know where we stand as well,lol. I was looking at doing sea hares also because someone on the REEF Stewardship foundation was shipping eggs to people to try out. I never did set up the exta tank but I believe it is important to know which types you have to fulfill their food source. I believe they had a couple of diets at different ages/forms too.

Check into it, it is in my sig. That site wont keep you real busy but it is a place for us to talk about our "projects" and share stock or supplies on the forums/comunity there.

Chelle's Ocean
11-27-2010, 10:57 AM
:) Thanks! Appreciate it - heading over there now, - have a great afternoon!

cg5071
11-27-2010, 11:58 AM
You are welcome.

cephalotus
11-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Would like to see the frog fish.

Chelle's Ocean
11-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Just for fun..............

http://chellescreativeexpressions.blogspot.com/2010/11/happy-holidays-am-offering-one-of.html

:jester:

Chelle's Ocean
12-31-2010, 01:51 PM
Ok- so .... back at it again :thumbsup:

(Going to do a journal :highfive3: , just getting notes in order - but til then...)

Babies hatched last night.

Rotifers fed this morning, doing every couple of hours for feeding...(?) thinking that is good.

I am having 'technical difficulty' lol converting my video from wlm to jpeg or mpeg.. so if anyone wants to take a look at my facebook page - my video is posted there :)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/video/video.php?v=187366777941335&comments

Happy New Year everyone :)

cg5071
12-31-2010, 10:11 PM
Went looking for you and found someone, hope it was you,lol sent a mesg.

Chelle's Ocean
12-31-2010, 11:26 PM
Sorry- didn't get a message (michelle yingst ... Florida)
:) lol but someone did - here's mine:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=100000040419900

Ok so BAD NEWS - PROBIOTICS SUCK!!!
Went the entire day - feeding throughout, no problem. Larvae swimming and eating GREAT each feeding.

Last feeding I dosed a tiny tiny amount of probiotics - and let it sit in the rotifer dose cup for abit of time, to allow the rotifers to feed on it... well- after I had dosed it, no problem, the babies fed, I turned the lighting off again, and upon coming back to the tank 2 hours later it clouded the water, and killed everything - not 1 baby is alive- I am so ****ed right now, I can only talk myself into "Live/Learn" - but I should have not even tried it, just continued with what I was doing.

Arrgghhh- I just am not happy on this Happy New Year :thumbs_down:

Ok- enough- just had to vent

cg5071
12-31-2010, 11:37 PM
Well you tried it. No it wasnt you. It was a girl from flo though w/ a backpack in front of the ocean. The link you posted takes me to my own page.Try again...

Same again, sorry. It takes me to my own log in page.

cg5071
12-31-2010, 11:40 PM
I know Tal is using prepared foods for his fish, maybe check in w/ him? He has his own site but I cant give the addy since I am on the other pc.

Weird about your product though. Tal is the go to guy for breeding clowns, cards or dotties. I want to breed mine but I chose from different parents so I wouldnt be related to his. I am sure yours are of different stock too.

Chelle's Ocean
01-01-2011, 04:27 AM
Chris- thanks.

Not sure what the heck is up with facebook - I sent a request to CR / Facebook- so once I am added, then it should be easy to find me... dumb facebook.

My icon/avatar is my pink erythropodium (pink caribbean grass)

As far as Tal's site goes, lol- yeah I have read it... I keep it up on my computer as a saved page when I have a hatch I am working with :highfive3:- I am only (or was) at the rotifer stage, he has previously messaged me about Reed - about the otohime (the starter pak)

His site stays up on my pc ( www.fishtalpropagations.com ), and + I have talked with Patty over at Booyah's Reef and Sissy McCoy, - I was doing well until I decided to use the lacto (probiotic) that had been sent to me (Mark Weiss) to try - all other products were fine in my larger tank...this however... I just should not have used.

I should have just stuck to the preset plan that was laid out before me... but I kept hearing of all the wonderful health benefits the probiotic would give the babies... UGH.... they were such a good hatch...

Ok- so I am trying to think positive, the next spawn I will not deviate at all.... rotifers...bbs...otohime... NO probiotic whatsoever!...and a happy feeling that at least this hatch was VERY large and healthy.

It just kicks me knowing they were doomed because of me (on purpose), instead of something natural... darn.

Ok- counting down to the next lay...hoping to get the actual laying of eggs on video for my MBI journal...

Have a Great New Year's Day today :)

Chelle's Ocean
01-01-2011, 04:28 AM
(got the erythropodium from a fellow reefer here in FL)

It is soo cool :)

Chelle's Ocean
01-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Ok- so after talking with Chris earlier above... I set out to Google just about every kind of Clownfish... a very tiring task!
There are thousands on Google!

So- I sent a message to WetWebMedia... and Mr. Bob Fenner replied asap.

Here is the link he gave:

http://wetwebmedia.com/clownfis.htm

and here is what he stated:

{<I do think these fish are crosses... "Percularis"...
Read here: http://wetwebmedia.com/clownfis.htm
and that perhaps the young dying is related to this cross. Bob Fenner>}

Hmmm... looking at the link he sent, it does state the cross-mix of ocellaris and percula... so I guess what I have is a Percularis... didn't know that existed... but there are alot of clown names I learn with each new search I do.

So I sent reply to see if, in his opinion, what would help... I mean after all... I have (2)..so someone somewhere was able to breed these lil cross breeds. :)

I had to laugh just now... OMG I have "cross bred clowns"... ok- ( I know people cross breed all the time... but it sounds like "in- bred"... haha and this is the SOUTH... ok - I'm tired... silly moment over. Whew!) haha

Just thought I would share my news update :)

Chelle's Ocean
01-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Ok- wow...I gotta get a life, lol... have been researching and video watching most of the day on these lil guys, lol!

Apparently, our good friend here... a.k.a. the Fish Guru, lol :) ... has done this breeding in the past, just found one of his posts on MBI, and watched his videos on youtube.
Thanks Tal... once again for documenting everything :) - ok- now I am going to watch a few more videos and that's it! (riiight, as I click on another baby clown link, hahaha)

Chelle's Ocean
01-01-2011, 07:22 PM
ooops- sorry...it was on www.masm.org

Chelle's Ocean
01-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Ok- so who has MUSHROOMS?

I have my main tank virtually all cleaned out of that troublesome trol doll hair algae..Whoo Hoo! Way to go Blue Spot!! .... and am now getting back into placing more into my tank. I am getting a few of the 3-D rock shelves for the back wall (there is just alot of empty space there right now) ... but my shrooms.. I have a total of 3 in the main tank. 1 Blue, 1 Green Stripe, and 1 Coral-Pinky / Deep Pink. All of them ...only 1 head each. For some reason I still cannot get my shrooms to multiply.

Who has what in way of opinion or tips?

Sir Patrick
01-02-2011, 02:58 PM
I too, have never had luck growing mushrooms.

Chelle's Ocean
01-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Odd- seems to grow like weeds for others... like xenia. Either it does or it doesn't. Very odd, lol.

cg5071
01-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Not sure what it takes either really. It seems to take a couple of months to start producing more than the one I buy,lol but after that I cant stop them. I believe sealife.inc down there in florida has good priced shrooms. They have excelent priced ricordia compaired to most places.

Chelle's Ocean
01-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Hmm.. have been on their site a few times, but never ordered from them. I will check back w/them.

I usually order form www.reefs2go.com
Or www.reefscavengers.com - depends on who is having the better shipping at the time...otherwise I have my fav lfs order it for me... out of the 3 here locally near me...the 1 I really like apparently had a FIRE! Had no clue, have been trying to get ahold of them since Thursday, no answer- figured they decided to shut down for New Year's - an extended weekend.... but caught their post on Facebook.... so sad... they are great- and their shop was very nice.

Chelle's Ocean
01-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Finn & Gils Aquatic Retreat (Ocala, FL) - my heart goes out to them.... they had just got in some really nice stuff... baby clams, etc... so sad.

Chelle's Ocean
01-03-2011, 06:27 PM
:angelsad: I did a driveby to Finn & Gils during lunch today...

Sadly, they lost everything!
Their store was sooo nice, too bad you guys never got a chance to see it, I will try to find pics. They had the walls done up cool...like rockwork. And there were no bright overhead lights, just nicely dim lights... so the focus was on the tanks... they lost all their prize pieces... their HUGE coral and long time fish... the baby clowns that were showcasing the Playboy bunny logo... (no joke, these 2 clowns had markings that resembled the head/ears of a playboy bunny...they were planning on raising/breeding them when they were older, too see if the markings would carry through) Sadly, this will not happen.

The smoke damage killed everything. There are just a very few pieces of coral... but they are 'iffy' on hopes that they will survive.

Oh... my heart just aches for them.

But I did hear of some good news.... from one of the guys... but it's an under wraps thing til it's completed, lol... but you guys will be able to benefit from up there! :)

MizTanks
01-03-2011, 06:48 PM
:angelsad: I did a driveby to Finn & Gils during lunch today...

Sadly, they lost everything!
Their store was sooo nice, too bad you guys never got a chance to see it, I will try to find pics. They had the walls done up cool...like rockwork. And there were no bright overhead lights, just nicely dim lights... so the focus was on the tanks... they lost all their prize pieces... their HUGE coral and long time fish... the baby clowns that were showcasing the Playboy bunny logo... (no joke, these 2 clowns had markings that resembled the head/ears of a playboy bunny...they were planning on raising/breeding them when they were older, too see if the markings would carry through) Sadly, this will not happen.

The smoke damage killed everything. There are just a very few pieces of coral... but they are 'iffy' on hopes that they will survive.

Oh... my heart just aches for them.

But I did hear of some good news.... from one of the guys... but it's an under wraps thing til it's completed, lol... but you guys will be able to benefit from up there! :)

but you guys will be able to benefit from up there! :)

And girls :)

There is nothing like being a REEFER!

Sir Patrick
01-03-2011, 08:16 PM
So the place caught fire??? Sooo sad indeed......sorry to hear.

Hope they rebuild bigger and better than ever!

natb
01-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Cool.

Chelle's Ocean
01-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Yes- they had an electrical fire... the fire marshall was there when I pulled up (I just talked with one of the guys, so as not to get in the marshall's way, as they hadn't been cleared to have anyone on the property yet)

From what they have found out - it was an electrical fire, so was def an accident, not arson (which is always a good thing) - started over near where the fax/phone were plugged in.

So... yes, they will I am sure build back up bigger/better.... just the kind of guys they are :)

We were supposed to have our monthly club meeting held at this particular shop for this month... so - what I am going to propose to the club is that we show up and help clean up the shop to help get them back on their feet asap. (we're all pretty close like that as I am sure you are with your LFS up there)

We all wish them a speedy recovery from this setback.

~~~~~

On a different note - I had left for work this morning in such fear.... after feeding my clownfish.. the female began acting odd... laying down at the bottom of the terra cotta pot... heavy / labored breathing... not feeding... (note this is after I fed them a few pinches of a new food - Marine Chips {Instant Ocean}) - I worried ALL day... IM'ing my son for updates/ quick phone videos around the clock... emailing to TAL via his website (as @ work we are limited on forum use - go figure...lol... we can google everything under the sun... but no facebook or CR allowed.. I am still working on that for lunch hour though, lol) - anyway - thanks Tal for responding - much appreciated.

I came home to find them both swimming and darting about the tank in their usual pattern, so I have no clue what caused her to act like that this morning... the only 2 things I can think of, as I posed this morning via email to a few contacts.... was (a) the introduction of a new food, maybe she didn't like it or maybe a piece was too large for her, or (b) maybe this is part of the egg laying process... as I have never been able to see how she acts prior to laying the eggs as I am at work... whatever the case was- she seems back to her normal happy healthy chubby self, :)

Sir Patrick
01-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Glad to hear the clowns in good shape!

I couldnt read fast enough....that clown story had me sweating!!!

Very good of you and your club to help with cleanup efforts on the burnt shop! Very good thinking.

MizTanks
01-04-2011, 11:56 PM
I'm going with PMS. I used to act just like that or she could be bi-polar. Worry not Chelle, I'll find a diagnosis for her. Web MD here I come! :)

MizTanks
01-05-2011, 02:45 PM
LMBO! Breeding isn't just in the south Chelle. Come to da U.P. And you'll see a whole bunch of people who look cross-eyed at ya.

cg5071
01-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Funny Chelle. I will have to go look at FB tonight to find you. My name is Chris Glazier just in case and there are like 12 of me but only one in Mi as far as I know. lol.

I get stuck studdying things myself. It is all of a sudden oops no dinner tonight and dirty clothes tomorrow, since I didnt do a thing. (other than study :) )

I have his page saved also but I use the crappy pc at night when my partner gets home from work as he is a farmville-aholic.

Didnt even cross my mind but I have read about clowns cross-breeding. Not in-breeding!!! We have those in our area too I would say lol. Everybody is related somehow in the small towns here.

I just introduced another little occy to my tank 2 days ago. So far so good. I think my original one had killed 2 or 3 boyfriends. I felt so bad, lol but I didnt know about the first and the second was sick, the last one looked like it took, but after 2 weeks he just died but had some kind of wound on its head. Really wierd. This one likes to try and get close to the female but hasnt taken to her anemone like the last one did. I am also about to try and pair my tank raised bangaiis. I got them as babies so had to wait and see. Still all in different tanks right now as they started fighting a couple months ago.

Chelle's Ocean
01-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Cool Chris - I can't wait til I can get another pair.... :) but waiting until my 1st successful clutch from start to finish! lol

Just got back from the LFS, Aqualinks in Ocala- nice family store. Had him order some gracilaria for my sea hares, as they have no more algae... tried growing more in a separate tank, but lol it is hard to grow the same BAD algae ... so I am setting up a macro tank for them.. getting several diff types.

I ALSO am SOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED lol as I noticed he had a few baby clowns, newly in. I asked how old they were... told him what I am doing... he just got in some new units, we got to talking, and WHoo Hoo I am buying one of his old racks (the acylic separated long tanks) :)

He just bought a couple of larger ones 2nd hand from someone going out of business, and is selling me the smaller one.... if things take off... then I will add more tank rows as needed. I was planning on buying more tanks this week (just picked up a 20L for the macro tank-PETCO is having a good sale...$1 per gallon on all tanks.)

So, anyway... If I can get a handle on this, and let nature take its course, rather than trying to control everything and messing up, lol... then I plan on keeping the pairs in their respective tanks, but I did like a comment, I believe it was either by Tal, or M. Pederson... of how if the mated pairs are using the same system water, that maybe there is a hormone/scent (something?) released into the water column, and other pairs might spawn at the same time... pretty cool :)
Would def be busy then! lol

Ok- heading over to facebook to find ya :)

OH! also brought home a new baby blue hippo...:) soo cute, sooo tiny!

Chelle's Ocean
01-05-2011, 06:47 PM
lol--- Chris, what is your photo/avatar on FB?

cg5071
01-05-2011, 08:21 PM
It is me and Jeff standing on the beach w/ my dog.

I wanted sooo many fish tonight at the store. They had a really nice sized almost show yellow tang and the sailfin I have always wanted but cant squeeze into my tank. I bought a second engineer goby for the one I bought last week. Alot of really nice damsels too but I wont own another of those lol. (sargent majors and blue velvets)

I would love a hippo also but not till I get bigger than an 80g.

Congrats on the breeding tanks. They have one here like that but it is for much larger fish.

Chelle's Ocean
01-05-2011, 08:41 PM
OMG you guys have me rolling haha - I do NOT want a Bi-Polar Clown!
(public announcement: No offense to any person reading this who may or may not be Bi-Polar)

Ok- NEW topic as the clowns are well.... and I have dibs on an acrylic tank/rack (see the New Year's Babies Post)..... and the new baby blue hippo has been acclimated for awhile, tank lights are off so I just dropped him in...

Follow this link:

http://www.reefland.com/forum/attachments/reef-aquariums/13690d1268802065-what-happened-my-sea-hare-seaharesick.jpg

See if you can figure out what is coming up from the back of this sea hare??

Appears mine may have gotten caught up in the overflow/powerheads or koralia... who knows... he may have even picked a fight with Monty (haddoni)... in any case, he had a small discoloration/tear on his back when I came home from work/buying him algae.

Now this "thing" is coming out of his back... at first it just looked like the feathery tentacles that are on some nudi's... but this thing seems to be growing then shrinking then growing again ?

I have a video, but it is dark...and couldn't really get a good shot of it, but this link has a great pic of it

http://www.reefland.com/forum/attachments/reef-aquariums/13690d1268802065-what-happened-my-sea-hare-seaharesick.jpg

Any ideas?? The other sea hare seems to be well- no signs of change.

Chelle's Ocean
01-05-2011, 09:04 PM
Gotcha on facebook :) !

Yeah... I am a bit more picky when it comes to what fish I put in my main tank, I like the blonde naso's, the hippo's, the achilles, hubby had a thing in the beginning when he started sharing my passion.... he tried to buy everything! "Oh, is that all ... ok we'll take that ... and that... and him... oooh! and that fish over there!..."

haha had to leash him! I was like Whooaa!!! they will get bigger, you realize that right?

lol- I like to buy everything SMALL if I can, so he thinks the more he got the less empty the tank would look, - I am always looking for more clowns though... I would like a pair in the main display... but not sure which type, as I do have the haddoni in there.

The engineer gobies are cute :)

Sir Patrick
01-05-2011, 09:23 PM
I have no clue.....

MizTanks
01-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Is he carrying some polyps around?

cg5071
01-06-2011, 12:19 PM
I had studdied the engineers before so I jumped on it. I thought they only got like 9" or so but nooo. More like 15" hehe. They are cute and will be a good substitute for an eel when they get bigger.

I am pretty full in my 80. I would love to add about 3 more longspine (blue eyed) cardinals to the little group. Also a pair of melanarus wrasse when I get off my butt and complete the screen top. I am putting together my really peacefull tank (40g) right now. It is actually older then the other one but It has been mostly empty except a bangaii for months.

My pic on facebook is right down the road from us. It is the beach where everyone takes their dogs to swim since it is secluded. Beyonce' lol really loves to swim and run. Our other dogs practically need to be thrown in. A fat pug and a boston terrier. If I sank I prob wouldnt like swimming either,lol.

I will deffinately be getting a couple more pairs of clowns. Blacks, gold striped maroons and nakeds. I told Jeff last night that that is why I need 3 or 4 tanks because not all things can go together and have a good life. He was upset that I am considering Harlequin shrimp and the way I will have to feed them :)

fishtal
01-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Hey Michelle,

Sorry, I didn't see this thread. I was out of town last weekend. I think that we got things straightened out in email, right? :)

Chelle's Ocean
01-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Sadly... that is a sign of the end :(

From what I am finding out, depending on the species... most only live about 1 year... so not sure how old it was when the collectors got it, then the LFS, then me... I must have gotten an older one, he was a nice size :)

He was not starving, because he ate alot! So I am being told..."It was probably just his time to go. When they are at the end, they will stop eating." But it is odd because he ate right up until the night he died... nibbling here and there.

Would still reccommend one to anyone- great to have if algae exists in your tank, and fun to watch :)

Chelle's Ocean
01-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Hey there Tal! Yes, thank you so much for responding, it was appreciated :)

I have started my new thread on the MBI site, and here as well....

BUT since it has been awhile, everyone please feel free to correct me if I am posting in the wrong area / forum :)

{wish me luck :) }