PDA

View Full Version : Anemones Thinking about getting an anemone any suggestions

m1a1fixer
05-26-2005, 10:36 PM
I was thinking about getting an anemone and probably a clown to host in it. I like the look of a carpet anemone, but the guy I got my livestock from said he would never get one again. It ate a couple of fish and a shrimp (not the food kind). He also said it would knock stuff over from time to time. Are these traits of all anemone, just carpets or was he just lucky?
I've seen a few other types that I like, but what have you guys seen that's cool and not too hard to take care of?
I've got an area of the sand bed that I set up for something special. It's about 6-9" diameter area with really good flow. Not sure what would go good there, but was thinking about an anemone, what do you think?

dakar
05-26-2005, 11:02 PM
Initially, I wou;d recommend you let your new tank settle in and mature a bit before adding any. Most folks reccommend a good 6-12 months establishment of the reef before adding them. They are quite sensitive to water changes.

Other than that we love our sebae. Soon to be two, splitting right now, slowly but surely. Pretty neat to watch, it's been working at it for a couple weeks now, huge bubble towards the center and you can see where everything but tte center is split.

Carpets seem to always get a bad rap for eating fish..... unfortunately the rep appears well deserved.

It really depends on what kind of clown(s) you are considering, there is a compatability chart in the reference forums for most species that can serve as a guide.

m1a1fixer
05-27-2005, 02:54 PM
I'm just doing some research right now. I'm not planning on getting on for a while. I tested all parameters and they were all ideal, so I guess using all his water, sand and rock did work pretty good. Hopefully it will last.

jerryc
05-27-2005, 06:25 PM
At this time i have a flower or rock but wish someone else had hem my 55
is just to Small for them Thea take up to much room at least for me.

m1a1fixer
06-03-2005, 04:26 AM
So only one vote, oh well. Thanks for the other advise. The tank's water parameters haven't changed a bit, always at or extremely close to ideal. I'm thinking about a condy and clown or an awesome coral that I can't remember the name of right now that looks a little like a maxima clam with different coloration. who knows, I have a while to decide.

dakar
06-03-2005, 08:34 AM
If you are looking for an anenome that may eventually host any fish, condi's are well known for not host anyhting...though recently I saw a clarkii clown hosting in one at an LFS... pretty rare occourance, Condi's tend to pack up and relocate very often. So they need some looking after to protext your corals.

On the positive side... they are cheap! generally about $6 online or an LFS, they are cool to watch eat and just hang out when they find a place that suits them.

Best of luck!