PDA

View Full Version : Snails & Mollusks strange thing in my tank

Jared Clesi
06-09-2005, 01:20 AM
hello i am a newb and i have a very strange thing in my tank...
...i just reciently rearranged my tank to fit more in it lol and i have found something that is very strange on one of my zoanthid colony it is in the same shape as the zoo's trunk, if u will, but there is no polyp at the top there is this thing inside of a hard tube that spits this stringy stuff. it looks like the stringy stuff that comes off of ur inverts when u stress them. anyway back to what this thing looks like i added my chemicals the other day and got to see him he is in a hard tube and he looks kinda like a snail's mouth in which he spits a stringy sticky substance and when i add the chemicals he pulls this stringy substance back in and i guess consumes it
i dont know any ideas

Limpit
06-09-2005, 01:00 PM
How about a picture?

Debbraey
06-09-2005, 02:01 PM
I would like to see some pictures. I have many zoo s and I may have one myself. I could look closer! :?: :?: :?: :D

Reptoreef
06-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Is the "tube" solid??? Sounds like the feeding action of a vermitted snail.

Repto

Reef_Angel
06-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Vermitted snail??

Sea~Horse~Whisperer
06-10-2005, 03:57 AM
I have them. Someone told me they were called peanut worms. They are good.

Jared Clesi
06-11-2005, 03:34 AM
to answer the question if the tube is solid yes it is but it is hollow
also if it is ok for my tank why is it that the, saliva i guess, makes the rest of my coral curl up
and yes i will be getting a pix so i can put it on for u guys to see

Reptoreef
06-11-2005, 09:34 AM
Vermittid snail... it just means it's a non-mobile snail. Kinda looks like a tube worm or feather duster with a "glassy-brownish" encrusted shell. You may see 2 antenna at the end and when feeding they send out a mucas net to grab grub then pull it back into their awaiting mouths for a solid meal. Although not directly harmful, they are indication of too much feeding or nutrients in the water if growing in numbers and their mucas nets can become an irritant for neighboring corals.

Repto

Reef_Angel
06-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the info on them Repto. I have never heard of them or seen one either. I guess it's kind of a good thing that I don't have any then. I would be very interested in seeing a picture of one because I'm sure I'll have the privlage of one gracing my presence some day. Then I'll be ready for the littly oddity! Thanks for sharing!

Reptoreef
06-11-2005, 03:39 PM
You've got them... just not too appearant, yet... ever move a piece of LR and feel those sharp little things from the backside or more shaded side of the LR... those are generally vermitted snails.

Repto

Reef_Angel
06-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Ohhhh....ok! Yep, we sure do. I've never seen them do anything though. I've gotten poked pretty good by some things too. Weird little things aren't they?

sompa
06-12-2005, 06:32 PM
i have a lot I will try to send a pic when i get back home on thurs