PDA

View Full Version : New to Reefing im a total beginner and need help

mjkelly
06-09-2005, 11:25 AM
I don't have any specific questions yet, I'm really just looking for a reliable FAQ that covers the basics of saltwater tanks, equipment, and reefing. I'm sure someone out there can point me in the right direction. My roommate went out and bought a 75g tank with a bunch of different equipment. Hes not exactly sure on the specs of the equipment so I'm not going to guess and post what he thinks they might be. I'll post em after the fish tank comes in.

Thanks guys
Marty

dakar
06-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Welcome aboard! Glad to have you with us.

Have you seen this thread
http://captivereefing.com/viewtopic.php?t=571

It was just brought back up and has a lot of the basics, kind of how-to for some of the basics... it's 6 or 7 pages long now... Anything not already covered in there or other questions.... feel free to post them.

mjkelly
06-09-2005, 11:46 AM
Well that was a fast response hehe.

Ok ill check that out thanks dakar. If im going to do this tank and everything its going to be precise and done correctly. My roommates like, "we fill it up and put fish in it". I used to own 3 large snakes, over 10' long, and the only way i kept them so docile and fun was by reading the right material. So if i can manage a man eating snake, i can manage some fish i think :)

Thanks again
Marty

dakar
06-09-2005, 11:48 AM
We aim to please :razz:

Reef_Angel
06-09-2005, 12:42 PM
I think you'll find you've come to the right place as you start posting your questions! Everyone here is more than happy to help you get your tank going. Make sure you get your camera ready for pictures of your progress, because you'll often be asked for pictures of things you may have questions about! We also enjoy watching your tank grow from the bottom up! Good luck and welcome to Captive Reefing!! :)

mjkelly
06-09-2005, 01:20 PM
I have about a million questions right now ranging from what a fuge is to how many of these live rocks to buy but im gonna keep reading before posting any specific questions just yet.

That thread that dakar pointed to has tons of useful information. You guys should get together and make a Q&A FAQ for just straight beginners who know nothing. Everythings been very useful so far. I'd imagine i'll prolly be using these forums for a pretty long time from now hehe :)

Thanks again
Marty

dakar
06-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Good idea...... why not jot down a list of the questions (and answers if you have found them) that you are researching and shoot them to either Me or Reef_Angel in a PM, and we'll start one! Doesn't need to be anything fancy.

mjkelly
06-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Ill jot down some questions over the next day or so cuz i dont have time right now, but i do have a couple questions about purchasing.
The guys coming to install the tank in about an hour so ill post later about what we already have here then. Where would be a good place to buy live rocks? And whats a good price on that kinda stuff? I read about sand from Home Depot if the right brand is purchased. I have it written down somewhere. But as for other things... is it better to order online off some .com sites or better to buy at a pet store? I'd assume the pet store would be outrageously overpriced. Where would you guys recommend shopping? Id hate to go down to the pet store and spend 300 dollars on the exact same thing i can buy online for 100. I think my roommate spent too much on the light, tank, and pump already. Ill have more specs on that later tho.

Thanks again
Marty

dakar
06-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Just about everything short of the tank and salt (heavy bulky items kill you on the shipping), just about everything else if purchased online you will end up way ahead. Seems most LFS's run at least 75% more $$ than online prices.

We got hammered by an LFS when we were just starting out and had no clue. You already have a tremendous advantage, knowledge. Run through the Vendor's Review forum to get an idea on what others experienced with different vendors.

Live Rock will generally run you $5-7 a pound at an LFS. Generally cheaper online, but you don't have the luxury of hand picking your rock, have to weigh your options.

You'd be amazed with what a little portland cement, crushed oyster shell, and some time can produce :D A great way to kill time while letting your tank cycle. Of course agrocrete can only be added after it's fully cured and you need to have already live rock to seed it first.

jerryc
06-09-2005, 09:02 PM
For the big items i like to first check the local club and newspaper first i just
bought a 75 tank and stand and Hood from a club member for $200.00 that is
in excellent shape.

Don't fill Saree for him thou he is putting in twin 180 gal tanks