PDA

View Full Version : low temperature vs. zoanthids

bigbill
07-28-2010, 01:40 PM
well i have had my frist set back with my tank not sure how bad it is yet i have been useing a fan to keep the temp down in my tank. well yesterday i feel a sleep with it on when i woke up the temp was down to 72.3 only thing i have seen that may have been hurt was my new zoas. the closed head use to be purple now they are kinda clear and only haf of them are opening did i kill these poor thing ?

adalius
07-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Given what you're describing and that they're Zoa's I'd say it's too soon to tell. They could be releasing mucus as a stress reaction, but typically it takes a couple days to really tell if a coral is dying or just stressing. I've seen them come back from some pretty low odds.

Sir Patrick
07-28-2010, 02:35 PM
Keep an eye on them and keep us posted.

jimsflies
07-28-2010, 02:50 PM
What temp is your tank normally?

I'm thinking everything should be fine. I'd rather have a too cold incident than too hot.

A fan bring the temp down to 72 sounds like a big drop for just a fan...do you already run AC, I assume?

bigbill
07-28-2010, 02:52 PM
yea i have ac and tank runs at 76.7 for the most part i dont let it get over 78.7

jimsflies
07-28-2010, 02:58 PM
you need a controller for the fan or just put it on a timer to coincide with the hottest part of the day/halide. You might be able to get a cheap used ranco controller if you post a WTB.

dcmartinpc
07-28-2010, 03:19 PM
78.7 is not that high at all, unless you have cold water stuff. In the summer, my tank gets to right at 80 and I don't worry about it at all.

I second a controller to turn those fans on and off. It is the only real security, or hook them up to the same timer/switch as your lights. Easy way to turn them on and off.

Don

tazzy695
07-28-2010, 05:12 PM
another backup if you cant afford a controller is keep your heater set to turn on at 76 so that if the fans get left on by accident they cant cool it below that point

I personally run my heater year round but I keep my ac set at 65 in my house so the tank is always above room ambient

bigbill
07-28-2010, 06:12 PM
same i run the heater year around too here was on but still temp was low

fawkes
07-28-2010, 06:40 PM
I'll third (or whatever) the controller. I set the heater control higher than I would want it and connect it to the controller and then use a fan and AC to cool the tank. The controller was one of the best $100 I have spent. It does mean that I have to adjust the heater if I should ever use it in a standalone mode. I have a half a degree spread between the cool setting for the fan and the setting for the heater to keep them from thrashing.

bigbill
07-29-2010, 07:18 PM
looks like there going to make it all but 3 heads where fully open today

Sir Patrick
07-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Keep your eyes pealed for pox- its common for polyps to catch zoa pox w/ temp swings.

XSiVE
07-29-2010, 10:27 PM
good to hear that they are doing better.. too cold is typically a little easier on corals than too hot.