PDA

View Full Version : Unknown creature number 2

ztoom
06-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Could anyone tell me what this is? Arrow is pointing to it. It seems to have some type of opening at end and sort of like a feather sort of like a feather duster.

Reptoreef
06-18-2005, 11:06 AM
Sponge... it's a good thing.

ztoom
06-18-2005, 11:10 AM
Thanks! Sounds like the tank is doing great.

Debbraey
06-23-2005, 10:28 AM
I am envious I got not a single hitch hiked sponge on my new LR. Though, in a week there is allot of new growth in that tank. (Or maybe I just forgot since I hadn't seen it in a week)

dakar
06-23-2005, 10:41 AM
We had tons of those little pineapple looking sponges when we fist started each tank, and the but they slowly disappeared over time. Perhaps that variety is more prevalent in newer tanks.... they used to cover the sump/fuge and such too... but are now all gone.

Reptoreef
06-23-2005, 02:10 PM
From what I've seen, they usually do appear to become more sparse as the system ages.

jerryc
06-23-2005, 02:21 PM
Sponges seam to like a little more nutrient rich water Thain whit we try to keep

dakar
06-23-2005, 09:22 PM
Good things...even makes sense.... we likely starve that particular variety right out of our reefs.

Dang it... now you guys see what you went and did... I was going for a record... a whole day WITHOUT learning something.... ya'll ruined it! :lol:

ramoth41
06-24-2005, 08:05 PM
OK you guys got me going on a search and destroy mission!! :smt066
After going through some books and searching the web I think it's a (drum roll please)
Sea Squirt
check this out ........http://www.njscuba.net/biology/sw_plant-like.html#SeaSquirts

I also found some info in The Complete Book of the Marine Aquarium by Vincent Harg. See page 194 :read:
So did I do good or what??? :-D
sarah

carpenterwrasse
06-25-2005, 05:49 AM
some of mine are almost the size of a marble and i have some that are like a tree sponge but they are pale and boreing

ramoth41
06-25-2005, 09:20 AM
We have one sponge that grew to baseball size and another pretty yellow that grew up the back of the tank. We also have little yellow ones scattered all over the LR. I've bought red sponges but my sinapore angel eats("oh look the nice lady brought me lunch again!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/ramoth41/smiles/hungry.gif" ) them but not he ones that grew on thier own, go figure!
Well at least I haven't seen him eat any of them?!
Anyway it's a good thing to have as lots of the critters eat them and it is a sign of a healthy tank. BUT if the larger ones die watch out they can foul a tank pretty fast!
sarah :-D

zoo-a-holic
08-09-2005, 12:37 AM
I have those sponges that look like pom trees too. What do i do to them?

Whoyah
08-09-2005, 12:48 AM
Do your "palm trees" pull into a tube when you get close to the tank. If so probably small feather dusters which are a good thing, if not they are something else (I forget the name) which are so-so, nothing to be alarmed about though.

PhatBrdr427
08-11-2005, 01:01 AM
looks like a glass sponge to me. there are three different types from what i have learned.

Limpit
08-11-2005, 05:21 PM
We have one sponge that grew to baseball size and another pretty yellow that grew up the back of the tank. We also have little yellow ones scattered all over the LR. I've bought red sponges but my sinapore angel eats("oh look the nice lady brought me lunch again!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/ramoth41/smiles/hungry.gif" ) them but not he ones that grew on thier own, go figure!
Well at least I haven't seen him eat any of them?!
Anyway it's a good thing to have as lots of the critters eat them and it is a sign of a healthy tank. BUT if the larger ones die watch out they can foul a tank pretty fast!
sarah :-D
Any problems with that Angel eating corals?

~Mykle~
09-19-2005, 05:52 PM
I've had many of those spunges in my tank. They keep dissapering for a while than they well come back with more of them, Strange but O well im beeing told there a good thing!

zoo-a-holic
09-20-2005, 01:27 PM
Yeppers, not a bad thing at all, just like everyone said! What i was wondering is, the ones that look like little pineapples, how big do they get?