PDA

View Full Version : Just a question

LadyBones
06-27-2005, 05:18 PM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Hello#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I was wondering if you can all help me....#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would like to set up a saltwater aquarium ( not right away) But i have no clue on what i need and how to begin.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I'm just doing a search and getting all my faq's first, I'm not in a rush to go out and just do it...lol I want to learn all i can learn first as i know these are not cheap fish...lol#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I have a 20 gal high tank and i am not sure if i need a bigger tank or not, But anyways if you can give me ideas and what i need and how to begin i would really appreciate it alot.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thanks#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#~LadyBones~#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

carpenterwrasse
06-27-2005, 06:29 PM
Do you have any idea which direction you want to go? There are several.....fish only fish with live rock or reef in my opinon they are in order of expense as to how i listed them.....what size did you have in mind?

dakar
06-27-2005, 06:31 PM
First Welcome Aboard! Sounds like you are on the right path, read
and learn as much as possible BEFORE throwing money at it! #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
To begin, a 20g tank is not necessarily too small to start with, it
really depends on what and how much you really want to keep, and how
much time you have to put into maintaining it. Just to keep fish,
coral or both?#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
The biggest issue is that with smaller tanks means a smaller water
volume, anything bad has a better chance of getting worse much faster,
on the other hand smaller means it can be cheaper to keep as well as
less and smaller equipment can be used effectively. Now that
doesn't answer anything at all I'm sure.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
If you get the time run through this thread #ed_op#a href="http://www.captivereefing.com/viewtopic.php?t=571"#ed_cl#http://www.captivereefing.com/viewtopic.php?t=571#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#/a#ed_cl#it's 6-7 pages long but pretty much a walkthrough of a reef setup. #ed_op#br#ed_cl#
#ed_op#br#ed_cl#
Hope this is of some use, please feel free to post any and all
questions, there is a great wealth of knowledgeto be tapped here,
so you've come to the right place.#ed_op#br#ed_cl#

Reptoreef
06-27-2005, 08:45 PM
Ladybones... welcome to CR. All the info to begin is pretty much there from Dakar. My only input is keeping your self as patient as possible.

Repto

LadyBones
06-27-2005, 09:06 PM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thank you everyone.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I would like to get a 45 gal tank for saltwater. I would likecoral reef and fish...i want an alive tank...lol #ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#But being a novice i want something inexpensive to start off with.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Thank's again#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#~LadyBones~#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Reptoreef
06-28-2005, 12:41 AM
May I suggest some good read??? #1 Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Fenner and #2 Natural Reef Aquariums by Tullock. Although, new, these books seem pricey... they'll give you a knowledgible foundation to save you a fortune and a whole heck of a lot of heartbreak/headache.

Repto

carpenterwrasse
06-28-2005, 08:43 PM
check amazon they have some books at reasonable prices