PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Journal: A. Ocellaris

Chelle's Ocean
08-14-2010, 01:00 AM
Breeding Journal DataSheet

This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place
or changes are made to your system

General
Species: A. Ocellaris
Social Structure: limited to mated pair only
Size of Individuals: female about 2.5", male about 1.5"
Age of Individuals: about 3 years
Date added to Tank: 2007

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 14 gllons
Substrate Details: Moonlight Black/ Samoa Pink reef sand
Filtration Details:
Water Changes: None- top offs only
Water Temperature: 78 degrees
Lighting:
Lighting Cycle: 7am-9/10pm
Other Tank Inhabitants: turbo snail, tonga nassarius snail, couple dwarf blue legs

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: Brine Shrimp,added pellet, fuel,spirulina flake
Feeding Schedule: 4 times daily

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn:
Spawn Time of Day:
Dates of Consecutive Spawns:
Courtship Details:
Egg Size:
Egg Color:
Egg Count:

Hatch Details
Hatch Date:
Hatch Time of Day:
# Days after Spawn:
Larvae Description:

Larval Tank Details
Temperature: 78 degrees
Size of Larval Tank: 5gallon
Substrate Details: Bare Bottom
Other Tank Decor: Heater, Airstone
Filtration Details: None yet, have hang on back when safe to use
Lighting: None used yet, indirect light for now, have 15watt in hood
Lighting Cycle: Not used yet, as no hatch yet
Water Changes: None yet- nothing to change

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types: Currently Phyto and Rotifers. Will continue the rotifer/phyto combo til about Day #5 then introduce baby brine shrimp along with the combo.
Feeding Schedule: Will be feeding several times daily, thinking 4 times/day? Looking into this.

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:
Days after Hatch:
Date of Settlement End:
Description of Fry:

Grow-Out Tank Details
Temperature:
Size of Grow-Out Tank:
Substrate Details:
Other Tank Decor:
Filtration Details:
Lighting:
Lighting Cycle:
Water Changes:
Size at Transfer:
Age at Transfer:

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:
Feeding Schedule:

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information: :tear: Ok, I admit the journal list above is a little overwhelming at the moment... it's late , ooops or it's early in the morning...so I will have to update it when I have updates. I do not have everything on that list. But I am working on it. I do not remember when they first spawned, either late 2008/early 2009. In the main tank.

I have made a video - and will be adding to it daily to see what I am doing right...and what may possibly go wrong. I plan on leaving the eggs IN the tank this time and trying to net the fry as they hatch. Taking the rock out the night of hatching did not seem too successful for me.
Hope you like......youtube is giving me a hardtime about the song I just purchased from iTunes..so I may have to add the video tomorrow.
(note: the rock have been moved from the last hatch..everything is down on the tank floor because they kept laying in a cave that I couldn't observe)

jimsflies
08-14-2010, 07:41 AM
Congrats on having CR's first Breeding Journal! Keep us updated.

Chelle's Ocean
08-14-2010, 09:41 AM
:big_grin: Thank you thank you! (takes a bow) haha
Hope you all can walk me through some things as I really want to get this down to a science. I feel like I am doing my poor clown babies an injustice by not knowing exactly how to get them to survive. I have a general idea from research, by as everyone knows - nothing in this hobby is guaranteed. I am happy that I found Captive Reefs, and look forward to sharing my breeding experience with you guys.

I am not sure how this is to be set up exactly... and since I am the first one- I think I am going to follow along the lines of journal style entries. (if that's ok) with photos to support.

"Mamma & Pappa Ocellaris"

8/7/2010 - 8/11/2010 Mamma & Pappa were courting each other, staying very close to each other during this week. Whenever I looked at the tank, they were cuddled up next to the heater, or "dancing" the ritual dance of love. Eating very well. They are fed a few times daily, a mixture of frozen brine shrimp and a bit of flake/pellet, with a few drops of essential elements mixed in.

(side note) since I also have xenia, a small paly colony, and a baby mushroom in the tank, I add a touch of Fuel (AquaVitro) and Oyster Feast (Reef Nutrition), about 5 drops every other day.

8/12/2010: The clowns have been very busy today, dutifully cleaning away a spot next to the heater on the back wall of the biocube. Picking, kissing, pecking, rubbing- doing everything they can to make their spot ready.
Same feeding schedule.

8/13/2010: Fed the clowns in the morning and afternoon- and upon getting ready to feed at night, I noticed the eggs were on the back wall (Yeah!!) This was about 5:30-6pm. I marked my calendar as either 8/20/10 or 8/21/10 as the hatch night.....we will see.
Increased the feeding to now (4) times daily to provide more nutrition to the pair.

They were actually given a (midnight) snack around 1 am (haha after I got off Captive Reefs) and I took a mini video of this.

Chelle's Ocean
08-14-2010, 03:27 PM
8/14/2010 : Registered at www.mbisite.org - same username as here. Very cool info, thanks to FishTalPropagations for sharing on your website! Loved the photos and the events info. Thanks!

fishtal
08-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Good start. Post some pics when you get them. Take a look at some of the other MBI journals to get an idea how other people do theirs. :)

Chelle's Ocean
08-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Most definitely- seems all I am doing is sitting at the computer this week, lol reading reading more reading....I want to make sure I have all the info I need to get a good start, and then of course grow from there.
As far as pictures... yeah I will have to take some, I got hung up on the video diary thinking it would be useful for future reference to look back on and see what I did (right or worng) and do the same or correct the mistakes. But I can't seem to upload videos here, so I will take some pics tonight.
(I threw a quickie post on my blog, www.chellescreativeexpressions.blogspot.com )
I plan on updating my youtube as well...making a small updated video each day if possible to track it all. I have to see if we have any more journals here (left from school supplies, lol) and will keep track there too- then update here - I just don't want to miss a beat. I like the MBI site, and came across a few other setups on another forum as well. (hubby and I don't see eye 2 eye on this yet...he thinks "start small , and when you are successful at it, then go bigger" Me, I'm like: "No, we need several tanks for several different reasons.... trying to explain why the fry cannot remain in primary tank due to predation, and that the phyto/rotifers need their own space.. " Funny...he debates for awhile- then he sees the difference it would make. I just have to come up with a plan to have a set up built WHILE he is not home...lol... (btw hubby is an over-the-road long haul driver...so is only home about 4-5 days a month. (gotta make a plan gotta make a plan gotta make a plan, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, lol)
Any way... I will be back after I read some more on MBI, and I need to know how exactly due I edit my profile above? How can I edit my journal report to enter information?

adalius
08-14-2010, 08:02 PM
That's funny Chelle, I knew a Michelle in Florida who was married to a OTR trucker too, he was Sheryl Crow's road crew for awhile. But she got divorced.

In any event I'm looking forward to this journal as my new Occy is already within 24 hours of getting in the tank following my bigger occy like a puppy dog.

fishtal
08-14-2010, 08:50 PM
You should be able to edit your journal as you add new information. It's important to keep the first post/journal up to date as you go along. Pics and other things can be added along the way in future posts. :)

Chelle's Ocean
08-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Thanks Tal- just got a message from Jim regarding that, :)

Haha...yeah- not the same Michelle, lol
I appreciate the follow...please feel free to comment- keeping this informative and fun!
Can you post a pic of your O.'s?
Good luck to the new pair!

Chelle's Ocean
08-14-2010, 09:05 PM
Thanks Tal- just got a message from Jim regarding that, :)

Haha...yeah- not the same Michelle, lol
I appreciate the follow...please feel free to comment- keeping this informative and fun!
Can you post a pic of your O.'s?
Good luck to the new pair!

adalius
08-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Pics of the original 2 are in my album and my tank thread, I'll see if I can get pics of the new guy tomorrow.

Sir Patrick
08-15-2010, 03:27 AM
Great jornal! Im tagging along.

Chelle's Ocean
08-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Ok guys...heehee sorry got caught up on the baby news!
I am going to have to figure something out here.... as I want to post here, MBI, and there are 3 other places I am posting, along with reading 2 sites...FISHTAL's is #1, along with facebook ...I want to update everyone...but I don't want this experience to be all about writing and missing out on what I am doing. (make sense or sound silly?)
Anyway...I think I will post here, and of course MBI, and just post my youtube links to the others, so they can follow along, and link here (more followers to CR is the thought?) Sound good?

Chelle's Ocean
08-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Update:

8/14/2010, doing fine..... eggs look abit like rice grains.. from the front they have a brownish tint, from the side still golden yellow not as much orange
YouTube- Clownfish Day #2 8/14/2010

Chelle's Ocean
08-15-2010, 10:39 PM
8/15/2010 Day #3
Day # 3 is going well also, I have been feeding regularly, and have noticed the protectiveness getting stronger when I approach with the camera...Pappa is sure guarding those babies!
YouTube- Clownfish Day # 3 8/15/2010
The Turbo was agitating them, so I moved him away so they wouldn't be stressed.
I am working on a phyto/rotifer station...using an idea I got online, and this damn winerack I have not been able to sell. (lol we got it from friends years ago...we don't drink wine..it's basically holding the frogfish tank right now...but here is my plan?)

Chelle's Ocean
08-15-2010, 10:45 PM
I plan on keeping the phyto cultures on the top rack with a shop light or similar on the bottles, tubing /air pump etc...thinking of putting the rotifers in 5 gallon buckets beneath the stand... using the middle shelf as a workspace/ cultured bottles area...still thinking in progress..but that is what I am thinking... here is a shot of what I pulled up:
YouTube- How to Culture Phytoplankton
I like how all the bottles are separated, lit, and the various strains/colors... still a work in progress, so no pics yet... but comments/ideas are welcome!

Chelle's Ocean
08-15-2010, 11:11 PM
:highfive3:
(ok..got it outta my system...time to remove all the hub bub I typed, lol)

just logged off from CR and jumped onto facebook to log out, noticed I had a message from Ian (club member/reefer buddy) - he is taking down his tank/selling it as moving/building a new house.

Anyway.........................He told me to come over and get his complete phyto/rot set up as he will not be using it anymore.
Wow.......I am so excited that I will have this that crap! Now I won't be able to go to sleep...!
(lucky for me I got the "Escape to the Coral Reefs" (netflix, and it will knock me out!)
Ok.... now I can put my winerack plan into action!
Any suggestions? I will post pics of the set up once I have it. And find out what needs to be where... I will have Ian on speed dial for help on culturing as well - I am not a pro at this as he is.
I am wanting to get the station set up before hubby gets home (1 less thing he would have to hook up, and hopefully be able to feed this hatch !!)
Yes!! So excited !! (ok...had to get it out of my system...sorry guys...go to sleep now! :)

Chelle's Ocean
08-16-2010, 05:21 PM
Hey anyone (Tal especially)
Please check this out:
Re: Feeding rotifers and clown fry
by admin on Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:49 pm

I would not try to feed them bioplankton. Really the best food is rotifer diet. It doesn't effect the ph of the water as much as some of the plankton you buy in the store. Rotifer diet is available from Reed-Mariculture. As far as caring for the fry check out the main site http://www.breedclownfish.com I would try to get the salinity close in the fry tank and the rotifer tank. When you first get the rotifers make sure to put them into water that has the same salinity as what is in the shipping bag. Then gradually over several hours raise the salinity to your fry tank level. You don't want to shock the rotifers and kill them. Room temperature is the most stable for rotifers, but if you want to produce high numbers of rotifers raising the temperature can help. You run the risk of crashing the system though when the temperature is high and so many are being produced. Be sure you have a backup batch. Check the main site for the rest of your questions.

So do you acclimate the rotifers prior to putting them INTO the fry tank also? Or do you just put them in? Would they crash/die off?

Chelle's Ocean
08-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Also....what about this:

Re: how to avoid rotifers crash
by admin on Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:42 pm

Richard-I would remove the sediment at the bottom of the bucket. Siphon it out if you can. I always use fresh saltwater, and not the saltwater from my main tank. PH shouldn't be a problem. Most salt mixes have buffers in them so that when you make saltwater the ph should be close to ideal. Test your freshly made saltwater. I have a feeling the ph will be pretty close to what it should be. I use Instant Ocean and usually the ph is already where it needs to be. One thing you can experiment with is using a heater in your rotifer cultures. Warmer water will make the rotifers reproduce more quickly but you will have to be careful because as they are reproduce more quickly they also are eating more food=more waste=more detritus=possible crash. Monitor it closely and change your water as often as possible.

Is there a way to add a drop in filter, a sponge filter, or something of the like that will catch the waste..but not the rots? Is that advisable? How 'warm' is warm in order to get them to grow/ multiply faster?

Chelle's Ocean
08-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Ok- just a quickie post to let you know I haven't forgotten CR, lol-
I am trying to increase the rotifer population - as it doesn't look like there is that much in the jar.
Can I add Fuel ( Aquavitro ) along with the phyto? Harm or good?

I have 3 very nice deep green jars of phyto going...just a bubblin away!

Clowns are still taking care of the babies. I can see more detail around the egg, although it has not changed from a "grain of rice" form,
Day #4 is 8/16/2010
YouTube- Clownfish Journal Day #4

fishtal
08-18-2010, 01:40 PM
Hey anyone (Tal especially)
Please check this out:
Re: Feeding rotifers and clown fry
by admin on Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:49 pm

I would not try to feed them bioplankton. Really the best food is rotifer diet. It doesn't effect the ph of the water as much as some of the plankton you buy in the store. Rotifer diet is available from Reed-Mariculture. As far as caring for the fry check out the main site http://www.breedclownfish.com I would try to get the salinity close in the fry tank and the rotifer tank. When you first get the rotifers make sure to put them into water that has the same salinity as what is in the shipping bag. Then gradually over several hours raise the salinity to your fry tank level. You don't want to shock the rotifers and kill them. Room temperature is the most stable for rotifers, but if you want to produce high numbers of rotifers raising the temperature can help. You run the risk of crashing the system though when the temperature is high and so many are being produced. Be sure you have a backup batch. Check the main site for the rest of your questions.

So do you acclimate the rotifers prior to putting them INTO the fry tank also? Or do you just put them in? Would they crash/die off?

Sorry for the delay. Up until recently I have been using the Rotifer Diet from Reed mentioned above, and had pretty good luck with it. I am now using their new product "RotiGrow". I like it a lot so far.

When harvesting and feeding rotifers you don't want to expose them to a change in specific gravity of more than 0.005. Any more than that and they will die from osmotic shock. In other words, my rotifer cultures are kept ~1.015 and the larval tanks are ~1.020.

When harvesting rotifers be sure that you get the sieve wet, or partially submerged, during the process. If you don't the rotifers will stick to the sieve and get "air-logged" and float/die.

fishtal
08-18-2010, 01:43 PM
Also....what about this:

Re: how to avoid rotifers crash
by admin on Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:42 pm

Richard-I would remove the sediment at the bottom of the bucket. Siphon it out if you can. I always use fresh saltwater, and not the saltwater from my main tank. PH shouldn't be a problem. Most salt mixes have buffers in them so that when you make saltwater the ph should be close to ideal. Test your freshly made saltwater. I have a feeling the ph will be pretty close to what it should be. I use Instant Ocean and usually the ph is already where it needs to be. One thing you can experiment with is using a heater in your rotifer cultures. Warmer water will make the rotifers reproduce more quickly but you will have to be careful because as they are reproduce more quickly they also are eating more food=more waste=more detritus=possible crash. Monitor it closely and change your water as often as possible.

Is there a way to add a drop in filter, a sponge filter, or something of the like that will catch the waste..but not the rots? Is that advisable? How 'warm' is warm in order to get them to grow/ multiply faster?

I don't heat my rotifer cultures and I get more than I can ever use. They actually do better at room temp, within reason.

You might try a sponge filter like I use in my larval tanks but I don't think it would do the job and be worth while. It's just as easy to siphon out the detritus from the IA when it builds up.

Chelle's Ocean
08-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Thanks- lol should have read here first...didn't think of 'wetting the sieve' - but it still was ok. I poured tank water back over the sieve upside down to make sure nothing was left on the screen.
I am now in the process of talking with several reefers from my forums re this....and wow...I gotta say that the hardest part of all of this so far is the actual "logging" of every little detail. I find that to be the most time consuming so far- (haha that's because nothing has hatched yet,lol)
I don't want to miss anything, so I am making mental notes of what I am doing, then writing it down. I just have not been able to get on here and update the journal properly.
I will be having another go at this (and many more I hope!) so I hope to have a better journal in the future. I think what I will do is keep an actual old fashioned hand journal, then update the websites.
Today is Day #6...and I am trying very hard to find an aphrodesiac recipe online to give to these rotifers! I just don't see a dense population- and I want to be sure to have PLENTY when the eggs hatch. The eggs have taken on a silver reflection- with the eyes reflecting the light whenever they are moved by the clowns/water. I also notice a line going up each one of them. I am trying to get a photo of today...my batteries died and don't you know that's the ONE thing I forgot to get while out today.
I have my phyto going. The rotifers are going. I have a 5 gallon tank set up with some rotifers and tinted the water a light lime green so as to get the tank ready for the babies... giving the rotifers plenty of time to multiply (thanks for the suggestion) And each time I go to check on my baby clowns I firmly tell them: "Tonight is NOT the night...do not come out tonight!" lol.
I just have a sinking feeling that they will be born 'prematurely' so to speak.. the days are counted to a T, because the eggs were there on Friday, not the day before.. so .... I am not sure now of the hatch night. I will be up tonight, tomorrow, and each night til they hatch.
(an hour after the lights go off, correct?) So I will turn off the lights... and keep checking.
(Tal.... should I turn OFF the biocube altogether...or just the lights?)

Chelle's Ocean
08-18-2010, 09:39 PM
;) What if I just keep the lights ON until I have enough rotifers? Surely the eggs will behave with the lights ON .....right? lol

We had such a storm today...all I could think of is PLEASE don't let the power go out! They will hatch! lol

fishtal
08-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Lots of questions... I'll try to cover them.

Rotifers: If you see what looks like dust floating on the water surface, they have become "air-logged" and will be of no use. You'll know what I mean as soon as you see it.

Lighting Rotifer Cultures: Don't bother. I keep my 5G buckets loosely covered; they don't need light like phyot.

Checking on Eggs: If you're checking them with a flashlight you can stunt them and cause them not to hatch.

Bio-Cube Issues: If you are worried about flow issues during the hatch time, I'd suggest turning off the pump but adding an airstone to keep the water oxygenated while waiting for the hatch.

Friendly Hint: Use paragraphs... makes a post easier to read. :)

Chelle's Ocean
08-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Friendly Hint: Use paragraphs... makes a post easier to read. :)

Sorry. Absolutely correct. Was in a rush to post last night, and wanted to get everything in - it does look all jumbled together. Thanks for pointing that out.

Chelle's Ocean
08-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Hi everyone- I will be updating here to make sure everything matches the other site :
( http://www.mbisite.org/Forums/fb.ashx?m=41838 )

I am staying up tonight as the eyes are looking quite reflective and not sure if some will hatch tonight or not...

Chelle's Ocean
08-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Last night was not hatch night.

But I will be up again tonight....tomorrow.....whenever they decide to pop into this world! lol

I am going through my supplies, checking what I will pick up on Sunday (reef club meeting), our club meetings (and 3 of the LFS) are about an hour away... so I try to plan a shopping spree at the LFS the same time as the club meetings. (there are NO saltwater stores near us)

I would like to know about oyster feast- I use it for both my tanks.... but what about the fry?

Question: Has anyone used Oyster Feast? Might I be able to add this to the fry tank, along with the rotifers/phyto? Does it seem like a bad idea to those who have raised clownfish? I don't really want to experiment on my initial hatch.....but I would think the oyster eggs and ovarian tissue would be beneficial to the babies..high in protein/omega-3..or am I on the wrong track?

Chelle's Ocean
08-20-2010, 03:20 PM
? :-| V-8 juice to rotifers?

Has anyone heard/tried this? Says in a pinch you could give the rots V-8 juice...just not as nutritious as phyto.... really? Seems weird....

Chelle's Ocean
08-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Where can I buy otohime a that is cheaper? I am not really needing $50 worth+shipping on my first hatch... does it come in smaller orders?

fishtal
08-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Where can I buy otohime a that is cheaper? I am not really needing $50 worth+shipping on my first hatch... does it come in smaller orders?

I got mine from Reed. I got a smaller size but I don't see it listed on their site. The 1kg bag would last you Forever. You might want to call them and see if they have a smaller size.

I haven't tried V-8 juice. I'm now using Reed's RotiGrow and I'm really happy with it. http://www.reed-store.com/shop.cfm/RotiGrow/RotiGrow-Growout-Feeds/ROTIGROW-PLUS-LITER/

And the new RotiGreen: http://rotifersolutions.com/?page_id=405

They are a bit pricey but are very concentrated and can be frozen for up to 2yrs.

Chelle's Ocean
08-20-2010, 06:31 PM
I will ask them- I did go to their site, I guess the large amount threw me off being my first time trying this.

I am seeing the tiny larvae.....and trying to plan what I may need....and I guess just thought "Wow that's too much food".

But you are right- it will last me quite awhile.....as I do want to try to master this journey...so there will be other hatches that can use it :fish2:

Chelle's Ocean
08-21-2010, 12:40 AM
Houston we have lift off!!

Babies are coming...slowly but coming.
12:20am ... 1
12:22am....2
now up to 4 babies :)

shovelhead91701
08-21-2010, 12:46 AM
Congratulations!!!! I hope everything goes great!

Sir Patrick
08-21-2010, 01:00 AM
Too cool!! Hatching clowns!!! Looking forward to the next update!

Chelle's Ocean
08-21-2010, 01:16 AM
Thanks guys (especially Tal- the website is very informative, and I appreciate the feedback and tips :) )

Haha...haven't gotten Joyce Wilkerson's book as of yet- will probably while at meeting Sunday- but what the web should say is :

"Look for chubby eyelashes!" lol These things are soooo tiny- no wonder I have missed them before. Unless you are actually purposely looking- you would miss them!

For some reason we are at a standstill at 5. :thumbsup: But it's 5 more than I had so I am happy!
They are so cute trying to swim!

Chelle's Ocean
08-21-2010, 02:11 AM
Count: 8:fish2:

Chelle's Ocean
08-21-2010, 03:14 AM
Count: 14:fish2:

Chelle's Ocean
08-21-2010, 03:38 AM
:yawn:Hmmm.... either my clown babies will need to get together next hatch and arrive all with in a select time...or I need to plan on taking a nap before the next hatch night. This is the longest hatch....I thought it would be faster than this honestly. Going very slowly...... but what I did do is start watching tv in the bedroom. At the commercials I go to the tank and the larvae are at the front glass trying to get to the tv. So I have just been turkey basting them up. :)

But still enjoying every second of it!:highfive3:

Chelle's Ocean
08-21-2010, 09:26 AM
What is the proper amount of bubbles to have going in the larvae tank? I think they are too much- so I have lowered it. I have seen 1 out of the TOTAL OF 21 ( :) ) babies ,the last being hatched at 7am this morning....but that is my fault as I have made the bottom abit TOO green ...will wait to do an official headcount.

But.....................Yippeeeeeee!

Ok...good morning......I am going to bed now, lol!

Chelle's Ocean
08-21-2010, 09:26 AM
(more to hatch tonight?)

Chelle's Ocean
08-21-2010, 05:28 PM
So far the tricky part is the siphoning out of debris...without getting the babies :)

Sir Patrick
08-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Congrats on all the new babies!!

Chelle's Ocean
08-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Thanks Chris! :)

MizTanks
08-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Way to goooo mama Chelle!!

fishtal
08-21-2010, 10:25 PM
So far the tricky part is the siphoning out of debris...without getting the babies :)

I use a length of rigid air line tubing attached to flexible tubing. I cut the end on an angle to get a little more area and melted the end of the rigid tubing to open it up a bit. Using small tubing takes a little longer but there is less chance of getting the larvae.

I siphon into a white bucket. That way if any larvae do get siphoned out you can see them with a flashlight. If you use an orange, Home Depot, bucket it's harder to see them. :)

Chelle's Ocean
08-22-2010, 08:44 AM
I used a turkey baster, carefully going along the bottom of the tank....but I like your idea better- I will make one up as I have extra tubing- just have to get a few more pieces of the rigid tubes, and be sure to use either white or clear for the bucket. Thanks :)

Jamie - thanks! This is fun (tired as all get out since I was up waiting for the hatch 2 nights in a row) but still fun :)

Last night was a no-go. Nothing hatched. I did the same thing, (only I started an hour earlier), again room completely dark- nothing at all to disrupt the hatch....was chairside to check in now and then. When I put the light to the top of the water- noticed the turbo snail was on what was left of the egg area- :(

I will be taking him out for the next lay. I had watched the pair move him last time, so I really didn't think he would get close- but I was wrong.

This morning I counted and cannot tell if I am counting the same ones, lol- so I may have to wait until the water clears in a few water changes. (I know I added too much phyto because I cannot see anything when looking straight into the tank from the front glass)

I did my 1st rotifer feeding of the day about an hour ago....but am fearing they are not reproducing fast enough. I watched an episode on talking reef :

http://www.talkingreef.com/forums/podcast-episodes/648-culturing-rotifers-video-podcast-episode-42-a.html

Mine do not look like his. I am only working with the one jar...and not sure they are enough. I plan on having 3 jars going hopefully for the next clutch.

But without an actual count, I can say there are definitely a couple in there that come right to the glass when I shine the led keychain from underneath the tank - so I am happy to say that on Day #2 post hatch I have at least a couple :) I know not to have expected the entire hatch to survive on my first attempt.

(not posting anymore for now- going to try and catch up on the lack of sleep, lol I got more sleep when "I" had my baby!)

But please let me know of anything that pops into your heads at this point.
Am going to wait until day 4-5 and follow Tal's Rearing page before adding anything other than rotifers.

(please overlook any misspellings you may find... no sleep = no brain) :)

Chelle's Ocean
08-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Today I got as giddy as a kid at a carnival!

I walked over to my tank to check on the two that I absolutely 'know' are there...........
AND A SCHOOL CAME SWIMMING TOWARDS THE LIGHT!!!!!

Ok, a small school...but a school nontheless :love3:

Might be like 7-10 in the group.

I am trying to let the green water thin out on its own- I don't want to dilute it too much right now- so as it goes.... hopefully there will be more.

But......YEAH!!! I am happy :)

Haha, hubby is not home to share this with yet (will be home at the end of the month) so I called my son over and thus stopping xbox to share in the delight. (yeah, not so much delight on his part, lol but he's 16, not into the hobby, and was in the middle of Call of Duty....so I'm sharing with you guys:love3:)

MizTanks
08-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Michelle this is so cool! I feel like an aunty:embarrased:, lol. I'm sending good vibes to the little sweeties and you as well. Oh and I also compete with the Xbox demon! You should see *his* room:blackeye:

Chelle's Ocean
08-22-2010, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the Good Vibes!! Will need them to get past the first couple of weeks :)

Yes..heehee I am like a proud mamma so I guess that means you can be the aunt, lol
I get so excited each time I go to the tank! (but I have to stop, I don't want to stress them out, but I keep wanting to peek at them, haha)

Tal: if you see this..... I sent a message on the Weaning Diet.... how much do you suggest adding at first to the tank? And how often during the day?

fishtal
08-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Replied to PM. Just a tiny bit to start. You don't want to pollute the tank with uneaten food. I feed 4X per day.

Chelle's Ocean
08-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks!

I have also been adding a few drops of the prime each day, when I add the rotifers.
Is that too much maybe? Is just once a day sufficient?

Will the prime do anything to the larvae if added too much?

Chelle's Ocean
08-22-2010, 05:14 PM
:jester: Got so involved in the clown babies that I forgot to say : Whoo hoo! I'm a Starfish!

(I have watched the title under my name change.... :) and yeah!...I am evolving!)

lol

Chelle's Ocean
08-22-2010, 07:50 PM
;) Total head count....oops Total Fin Count, lol = 16+

(they won't stay put long enough to count, but luckily for my eyes they tend to stay in groups...so I count the little bundles :)

Chelle's Ocean
08-23-2010, 08:47 PM
:( Ok- gonna have to take a day off from the computer if possible-
lack of sleep + long hours on the computer + trying to feed microscopic food to nearly invisible zig zaggers = tired eyes and migraine coming.

But....with the little bit of hoorah I have in me before my headache hits full blast.....
Just want to say thanks to everyone here, especially Tal for putting up his site, and the MBI site also (I will throw a thanks to them :) ) I really am enjoying every moment of this, and I know thats why I am getting a migraine (lol not sleeping- keep getting outta bed to check on the babies!)

They are just the cutest things- they come to the front glass when I turn on the dining room light.
And I go cross eyed just sitting there watching them :)

As soon as I can get my camera to focus on them long enough not to blur out, I will post something.... but so far there is still a mini school in the green tank :)

Chelle's Ocean
08-24-2010, 01:28 PM
A couple feedings already today- bellies looking good :)

A few look like they are swimming (like an eel- wiggling back/forth) but it's too early for that- so again maybe it's my eyes playing tricks on me :)

Chelle's Ocean
08-25-2010, 09:42 AM
Today marks Day #5

This morning's feeding I came to the tank and they were climbing the front glass to see me
(awww :love3: so cute)

Noticing some have silver bellies, some do not.

Some are fatter/ rounder while a few remain small.
Will continue rotifers throughout to make certain all get enough food.

Working on decap'ing the brine shrimp...someone told me that they can go bad, and not hatch? Anyone heard of this? How long do the eggs last?

Chelle's Ocean
08-25-2010, 07:18 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chelle's Ocean
08-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Video of Day #4 & Day #5 Post Hatch ::fish2:

http://www.mbisite.org/Forums/fb.ashx?m=42872

On YouTube:
YouTube- Day #4 Post Hatch w/Video

YouTube- Clownfish - 8/25/2010 Day #5

:highfive3: Very happy.

Fed some New Life Spectrum + flakes that were ground down to a very fine powder, then distributed into the water - the 2nd time I did this I swished a pinch of powdered food in some phyto then poured it gently into the tank. They seem to like it.... (Thanks for the suggestion Tal!)

Chelle's Ocean
08-26-2010, 06:43 AM
Fed rotifers, powdered food, and phyto this morning.

Wanted to add the baby brine- but after the night only 1 hatched (?)- so will wait an hour and check back with it.

So far still moving about. :)

Chelle's Ocean
08-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Ok..so I walk into the bedroom to feed the brood pair and I say :

"Ok mommys little baby makers...time to ea- Son Of A B****!"

Ugh, stop, turn and run for the camera - I cannot believe they are laying. Ok so it is obviously between 4:30pm and 5:15pm for their cycle, considering last time on the 13th.

So- I am almost nervous. lol. Haven't even gotten through my first batch yet, and I have more coming.... My fish need to 'get a headache' so I can catch up and learn what to do - lol!

Chelle's Ocean
08-27-2010, 06:52 AM
:( As of last night noticed no movement in the tank after feeding the baby brine shrimp.

This morning, no movement.

I just learned from the helpful ones over at MBI that I will stay away from the bbs and focus soley on the otohime . That the bbs may have bacteria that if not rinsed off may get into the larvae tank. I rinsed the eggs very well after decapsulating them, I rinsed them again. But I did not rinse the hatched shrimp before putting them into the tank, I turkey basted the shrimp up from the water bottle and gently poured them into the larvae tank. Thinking that since it was fresh water that it would be ok- had no clue.

Sorry my little fish :angelsad:

So today I am checking to see if anything is moving. Will update later.

next batch is due to hatch 9/3/10

MizTanks
08-27-2010, 09:19 AM
Awww Chelle, are you talking about no movement in the tank with the new babies?

Chelle's Ocean
08-27-2010, 06:35 PM
:( Absolutely no movement.

I emptied out the entire tank today. Turkey basting it - yeah..... took me abit, but if there was a chance of even 1 in there I didn't want to miss it. But sadly, there was not.

I am going on the information of what I have been told on MBI as a suggestion. And pointing it to the baby brine shrimp. I decapsulated them perfectly (thanks to Tal's instructions) - I was worried at first, but after having spent some time in the bottle, the shrimp were moving all over the place. (looks like little red mites or itty bitty ticks just twitching in the water)

Anyway - the decapsulating worked. The actual hatching of the brine shrimp eggs worked. I was not even thinking and siphoned the shrimp (and the shrimp water) and gently added it to the tank. I have been kicking myself all day about this- because any one who knows me knows I am more on the OCD side of things when it comes to my tank. I make sure everything is sterile, not mixing this with that...etc. I honestly didn't think about bacteria in the shrimp water. And I should have. So - now that I know about that.....I am not sure if I will be using them. Or if I do, I will make certain to rinse them off VERY well.

I am sad - but also happy - so it is a bittersweet feeling. I have been told by several on MBI that I got pretty far for my 1st time... so I am very proud of that, and trying to keep an open mind about this- to use it as a learning tool and move forward, and not to concentrate on the loss. (but, lol we all feel sad when something in our tank is no more)

So I have now got the tank empty, clean, and ready to be set up for the next attempt. I will feel abit more comfortable this time around- as I know the first few steps, and hope to make it past my marker of Day 6-

Wish me well...I will keep you all posted, and start a better, (more informed) journal :)

'Nite all.....

fishtal
08-27-2010, 09:28 PM
'Chelle,

You did fine and you've learned a lot. It takes a while to get the routine down, you're almost there. :)

As suggested elsewhere, I'd try skipping the baby brine when you get the Otohime A. It makes it a lot easier. Sorry I didn't make it clear to rinse the brine before adding them as food. I'll update that on my site for future reference.

MizTanks
08-27-2010, 10:46 PM
So sorry Chelle. Hang in there!

Chelle's Ocean
09-07-2010, 05:58 PM
:doh: Just when you think you know something......

Seems I have possibly been misinformed when purchasing my ocellaris pair a few years back. And my fault, I never checked it thinking they were just that.

But it appears after googling more research, that I may not have an ocellaris pair afterall. From the photos here:

http://www.tmc-ltd.co.uk/hatchery/species-list.asp

It seems as though my pair is actually a Red Percula <?>

I have caught myself saying wow....the female looks redder in the belly... but I thought that may have just been due to laying eggs <?>

So...if I try to post a clear photo, or if anyone can tell from the videos of the first journal, I would like confirmation on this - just for my own record keeping :)

jimsflies
09-08-2010, 05:37 AM
I've never heard of red percs before. But I would think with good photos of the eyes and dorsal fins, that someone could ID whether or not you have an occy or perc.

XSiVE
09-08-2010, 09:55 AM
I just looked at your videos and the eyes really look like ocellaris to me.

Chelle's Ocean
09-16-2010, 06:18 AM
Hmmm...really? Ok. Then I will stick with that. That's what I thought I had all this time, it's just weird that the upper 1/2 of their bodies are darker than the bottom half.

Thanks for looking! :)