PDA

View Full Version : FL Hurricanes = LFS jacking up prices

dakar
09-26-2004, 11:46 PM
While out LFS hopping today, found the LFS's are really playing on the supply/demand game. They must have gotten lucky a scored a couple dozen baby blue hippo tangs, I mean baby babies, like 1/2" or so, $50 a pop! Six weeks ago they were $20. Fella explained that several species have been jacked up to at least double, due to weather, and if it was in the Nemo movie the price got tripled, guess the movie is making a second or third come around. I can understand the hurricane(s) deal raising prices to a degree, some of the distributors must have gotten hammered and shipping out being stalled, but this is just nuts.

davejnz
09-27-2004, 10:46 AM
Some of the LFS's around here are offering discounts(20%off SPS frags,10-15%everything else) in an attempt to help their customers rebuild their reefs.From talks with the owners about 75% of their customers lost everything in their reefs and the other 25% at least lost a fish or two.I was very fortunate to have kept both tanks alive during these storms.I didn't suffer any losses.It is amazing how resilient corals can be,during Charlie,my tanks didn't receive any light for 7 days.I fed GP's and CE everyday to keep them healthy during this period of darkness.

Reptoreef
09-27-2004, 01:41 PM
How's everything, there now?

davejnz
09-27-2004, 02:08 PM
everythings fine,sun is out,not too much damage from what i've seen.The last 2 storms kind of cleared out all the old/weak trees so there wasn't nothing left for this one to destroy.The beachside and intercoastal waterway homes were damaged pretty bad from surge/erosion.We got lucky with this storm,It never turned N and went up the E coast like they had predicted.It really is a miracle we didn't lose power.All of last week we were getting 25-35mph winds that came from Ivans reforming in the gulf.It knocked down a tree/power line in our neighborhood on Tue. and we went without power for 4hrs.In hindsight,i'm glad it happened,otherwise we definately would have lost our power.