PDA

View Full Version : Critter ID - Fireworm ?

dakar
07-07-2005, 10:23 PM
Okay I found several of these guys in the refuge, varying in length from 1-3" long. We've go tons of the normal white bristleworms, but these are the only ones I've seen with bright red on each end.... for some reason bright red always triggers 'the don't grab me or else' feeling.

Look like those dreaded Fireworms? Yeah I'm being lazy, and don't feel like looking it up, especially if it'll help the next person, not to mention I didn't want to pet it to see if it'd sting me a good one either to get my own answer.

bjpembo
07-08-2005, 12:07 AM
looks like a normal bristleworm to me. i'd toss him back in. or you can send em all to me #ed_op#DIV#ed_cl##ed_op#IMG src="http://www.captivereefing.com/richedit/smileys/Teasing/3.gif"#ed_cl##ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Reptoreef
07-08-2005, 09:12 AM
Yep... keep 'em. They're common in my fuge, too.

dakar
07-08-2005, 09:18 AM
Cool, guess I need to do some more research and see what an actual fireworm really looks like now. He was only out of there long enough to get the pic and then he got dumped back in with his buddies. Just that bright red color I guess had me concerned.

Reptoreef
07-08-2005, 09:39 AM
Understandable... I am confident that you'll see many, Many, MANY more in the future. Fireworms are pretty similar... most appear wider and stubbier with a "furrier" appearance.

PhatBrdr427
07-22-2005, 08:24 PM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#I always thought those were fireworms too. I saw them in my x's tank and they would come out of the live rock whenever the lights would go out.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Reptoreef
07-22-2005, 08:26 PM
They're related.

PhatBrdr427
07-22-2005, 10:12 PM
#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Why keep them for the refugium. What beneficial role do they play. The only thing i could think of is that they eat up all the left over food. Could they them selves be a food source for fish and if so what type. Sorry i just want to know everything i can.#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#

Reptoreef
07-22-2005, 10:18 PM
That's exactly what they do... eat leftover food. If allowed to sit unremoved, the uneaten food rots and quickly downs water quality. So yea, they eat leftover food and if they appear to seem like there is more and more appearing, that's a sign of overfeeding.

ramoth41
07-23-2005, 12:06 AM
Here this may help you decide if he is a god one or a bad one.. really nice photos too!

http://saltcorner.com/sections/zoo/800frameset.htm

click on the.." Other interesting invertebrates" and check it out!

sarah

PhatBrdr427
07-23-2005, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the 411. Is there any place/book/website that has some info on them?