[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

0% waste water :)

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    Sea~Horse~Whisperer - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default 0% waste water :)

I've been looking for ways to cut down on the waste water from my ro/di unit. I took a chance and ordered another DI resin canister. I hooked up the waste water line to the new DI resin chamber and when I tested the water it was perfect. The new DI resin chamber was only $15.00 and a bag of resin refill was $18. It will refill the canister 3 times at least. I'm not sure how long or how many gallons of waste water it will filter before I need to recharge the resin. I did 60 gallons tonight and I will continue to keep track of exactly how many gallons I get out of the 2nd resin chamber. I will let everyone know the results when the water quality starts to decline. I figured for $15 it was worth a try.

Does anyone see a problem with this? Let me know since I'm pretty stupid when it comes to water chemistry and mechanical stuff.

Thanks,
    Angie

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

If the water has 0 TDS... you should be 100% good.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Sounds like you may be on to something there.. I need to really read up on the on whole RO/DI process and the real "why's" for the waste water. I always assumed the water being rejected as waste was for some particular reason. Sounds like you may be on to something. I'd be great to be able to use all the water processed for the tanks.

Knowing your water source is rather poor, did you run nitrate tests and stuff on the new DI'd waste water?
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

I do not have a TDS meter, but I did test for Nitrates, nitrite, ammonia, and PH . Besides Calcium, I tested for everything I have a test kit for. Nitrates are the only detectable bad thing in my water that I've found so far. (my water from the tap is 80ppm+)
    The nitrates were 0. I will have to look into getting a TDS meter. It will be awhile since my Daughter is sick with Crohns again.

Dakar...do you have a TDS meter? I could always drive a water sample down to you for testing. Or maybe somebody else within driving distance has one?

I'm off to Marshfield hospital today with my daughter, so I can't do it today. Let me know.

Thanks, Angie

First Name
    Dave

Yup we have one, and you are welcome to borrow/use it anytime you need.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

JustDavidP - Reefkeeper CR Member

What's the results?? Is the secondary treatment of the waste worthwhile? Only a TDS meter will answer the question.....

I'm interested in the results. Right now, my waste gets pumped out to my Koi pond.

BTW...I hope all is well with your daughter.

David
    ><((((

The TDS readings are 2. Not perfect, but better than wasting all of that water. The lowest reading I ever got was 1 and that was straight from the ro/di unit. I get 2 after it sits in the holding container for awhile. I'm wondering if the plastic isn't leaching stuff into the water.

What kind of containers is everyone using to hold their water in?

TIA,

Angie

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

It's true... some plastics will leach. Me, I use Rubbermaid.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

JustDavidP - Reefkeeper CR Member

Angie,

Most of us are using either Rubbermaid Brute or similar. The real deal is to check (either online or on the product) to see if it is a "Food Grade Container". If not, there is no guarentee that it will not leach SOMETHING into the water.

Brutes are of that quality. There are others out there. Do a Google Search. I have a friend that ordered some from here: http://www.emprep.com/water_storage_barrels.html

Also, you do, from time to time, have to clean the barrels. They will develop some film and other life in it if you do not clean them from time to time. Nothing short of a lab environment can stop that from happening. All you need to do is put your hand or anything else in that barrel once and you've now compromised the sterile conditions of the water and container. I clean my RO/DI top off barrel every time I clean the pumps etc. which equates to monthly.

David
    ><((((

First Name
    Dave

34G Rubbermaid trashcans and storage bins either Rubbermaid or that Sterilite (sp) brand.... no issues thus far. Looks like I may need to put up an extra DI unit to add to my setup and see how how it turns out for me, since my source isn't terrible like some of the horror stories I've read (source stays right around 786ppm TDS), 0 after the RO/DI.

But I still want to understand what causes certain water molecules or whatever to be rejected as waste water in the unit.... not as much fun unless I know all the 'why's' something work, which equates to me breaking something figgering it out.

Thanks fot the tip.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last