[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

125 Gallon Reef

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    cweber - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default 125 Gallon Reef

Im going to start a new project soon. Im planning my 125 softie tank for now. I would like to upgrade to higher light corals later but not for a while. I need to keep cost down as much as possible. Im debating between VHO, PC, T5s. I might talk myself into MH but im not sure yet. For flow i would like to use about a 1000 gph pump with a scwd and eductors on two outlets, and my 300gph pump for my sump fuge return. Any advice or opinions are appreciated.

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

I tried the scwd and I would recommend skipping it. Your money is better spent on sea swirls or tunze PH with a controller. I would alos recommend you go with T-5 over PC and VHOs. If you went with a retro-fit set-up you could use them later in combination with MH bulbs.

CR Member

Default T5 to start

I started my 100g with 2 X 54 watt t5 1 10000K and 1 actinic. you could try 2 80W t5 to start and add more t5 or metal halide as money allows. two t5 is enough light to see in your tank as it cycles. A very flexable start do you have a canopy?

i would go with t-5

chris

Thanks for the input guys. I figured everyone would say t-5 or halide.

Steve i do not have a canopy at this time. But i started my stand yesterday and when i bought my paneling i got enough to build one. How long is an 80 watt t-5? I havnt heard of one. That is my concern with t-5 (atleast with my research) is that a crap load of 3 or 4 foot bulbs to replace every year at 20-25 bucks a pop. If you have a link to an 80 wat lmk, and i will search right now as well. Thanks

PS I will be starting a new build thread with a few pics soon.

CR Member

Default t5 lenght

54W are almost 48" and 80W are almost 60" I have 2 54W 4 foot lamps on my 5 foot long 100g. The shadow at the ends is only apperent at the top of tank, and isn't a big deal to me. I am leaning towards two 250W metal halide lights to finish off lighting. Allowing me to run t5s for 12 hours and MH for a bit shorter duration. If you make a canopy you can add lighting as money allows. I will post update pics on my 100g start to finish thread tonight.

Cool thanks. The only 80 watt t-5 seemed to be over seas. Does it cost a lot to buy from them and have it shipped here?

Does anyone think i will have heat issues running this? Also would i be able to keep a clam or nem?

3-150 watt halides 14000k
    4-96 watt pcs or 4-39 watt t-5s

It will be all diy.

CR Member

Default 80W t5

What you list above will be good maybe add so 60" t5 X 2 with the metal halide

The best Ice Cap slr if you go with t5 make sure you get SLR = Single Lamp Reflectors.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_...ulbs_by_IceCap

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_...ulbs_by_IceCap

iVgOnMaD - Reefkeeper CR Member

an 8x t5ho with individual reflectors will rival or will be better than any MH. and will be much cheaper to run
    60g Tank: 10g Fuge/Sump, Current Nova Extreme 4x54w T5HO + 4 LED, Wave2k, 2x Seio M620, Euro-Reef RS5-2 Skimmer, 130 lbs Live Rock, 3" Live Sand, LPS Corals, Zoa's, Saddle Anemone, Pulsating Xenia, GSP, Neon GSP, Purple Shrooms, Crocea Clam, Pair of Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Tail Damsel, Coral Beauty Angel, Black Sailfin Blenny, Eel (Gymnothorax tile), Coral Banded Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp, Sally Light Foot Crab.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last