[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

$500 budget for setup, need help choosing equipment & su

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    CR Member

Default $500 budget for setup, need help choosing equipment & su

I've been looking at all the great postings. There is a lot of great info, but it doesn't quite answer my question. I'm setting a $500 budget. Downtown Pets (LFS) in La Crosse, WI is giving me a great deal on a 75 gal tank, stand and canopy for $200. That leaves $300 for the rest of the set-up. I would like a DSB, sump and refugium. Eventually, I would like to add live rock, anemones, live coral, crabs and/or lobster, maybe a star or two and some small fish (clowns perhaps). I know that it will takes years to get the tank where I want it, but from the pics I've seen here, it is well worth it. I don't plan on buying anything for a few months research time, but I would like some help choosing equipment and supplies that will last years not months and won't blow my budget. I just finished getting my 55 gal FW up and cycled, now it's SW time (a lot cooler livestock).
    We can\'t stop here. This is bat country!

Dan

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Welcome aboard!!

To answer your question.

Probably the two biggest pieces of equipment you will need besides the tank and stand are a) lights and b) a protein skimmer. From personal experience, I would not skimp on these two things. Buy the best to start with a save your self the headaches and cash of buying the cheap stuff.

I would probably start with the skimmer. IMO lights are easier to add too and upgrade than a skimmer. I recently purchased a AquaC EV120 skimmer. I am very please with it. I know several others CR members have AquaC skimmers and think they are great. I have heard EuroReef is also a good brand. I sure some more folks will chime in with opinions.

Regarding your remaining $300, it is going to be tough to get good stuff but maybe possible. Watch e-bay and check with local reefers to for good quality used stuff. Watch the LFS. Most are notorious for high prices and bad advice.

Patience and education is the key ate this point. Stay tuned for more input.

:D

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

#1 - Welcome aboard! You've come to the right place for answers. There's a great wealth of knowledge floating around, just not all of it in type yet. But every question posted fixes that

#2 - I think you'll get a lot of opinions, but likely preceeded by more questions
    There are a lot of corners that can be cut depending on your DIY skills and/or willingness to learn. When you estimate the $300 remaining balance to get you started are you setting that as a permenant ceiling for costs?

You have obviously done some homework... so you are starting out far better then Angel and I did <smile>, I think you could easily get your tank started up and stay within your budget, if you are willing to invest the time.

For example starting out with mostly base rock and 'seed' it with maybe 25% of live rock, given enough time all your rock will be very much alive.

Sump and refuge, those are easy, rubbermaid type tubs work great, if you have access to another tank that will fit the bill just be 100% certain no copper treatments have been performed in it and you are all set. I'm certain that collectively you have access to all the macro algae you could want.

DSB, start with regular old Southdown playsand, seed it from a donar reef, again easy to come by especially when the weather isn't freezing up here, time will do the rest.

Pumps are generally pretty easy to find decent deals on, either new or slightly used can be found, a little luck here helps.

Lighting and mechanical filtration (skimmers) are where the big costs can come into play, depends on your technical skills, DIY can save a fortune IF you can do it without burning down the house/have access to the tools. Lighting will really depend on what you want to keep and when, to start with a fish only system regular flourescents work just fine, fish don't seem to really care what the lighting is, corals and anenomes will later after the tank is established enough for them.

Time is the biggest investment, but you'll hear it over and over and over, the only things that happen fast in a SW tank are bad things. But the rewards are really never ending.

Sounds like you found a great deal on the tank/stand/canopy combo, so for $500 to start up... it could be do-able.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

As for my opinion... whoyah and dakar have got things pretty wrapped up. Welcome to CR.

Repto
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

CR Member

The LFS guy is also a programmer, the fish store is basically a hobby. He would rather not sell stuff than sell to someone that doesn't know what they are doing (he doesn't need the money). So far he hasn't lead me wrong in getting my FW tank up and running. I've seen some various postings for 20 gal tanks for cheap on various web sites, do you think this size is sufficient for a sump/referium on a 75 gal tank? Also what do you suggest for min. wattage for lighting? Power compact, VHO, reg fluorescent? I'm very good at wiring and OK and wood working so I was thinking about building a canopy with mirror tile on the inside for a reflector. Any suggestions to this idea (what bulb style to use, are the mirror tiles a bad idea?)
    Thanks for the help.

Dan

Hey dan welcome aboard!!!

Im gonna have to agree with WHoyah..... SKIMMER SKIMMER SKIMMER....should be your first order of biz. I run an Aqua C 150. Very durable and reliable....very happy with it.
    As far as lights. Might be a good idea to start off with VHO's. You can get an ice cap ballast and some ends caps for relatively inexpensive, and bulbs are only about $25.
    A 20 gallon will be a fine sump for a 75. depends if you are gonna use it also as a refugium...right away. IMO wiat on the refugium and soend the time on the main tank.
    ALways happy to help
    GT

CR Member

alright, with your help I've narrowed the list down
    tank, stand, & hood $200
    Sea clone 150 skimmer about $90 on eBay with shipping
    20 gal tank for sump about $20 used from posting on web site I found over the last few days
    that leaves about $190.
    300 watt heater should be about $20 for one that last at least 6 months (replace before I start buying the expensive livestock)
    I was looking at a mag 700 return pump = about $70 on eBay with shipping
    What do you guys think about using a weir to bring the water out of the display tank. I found a great link for one http://www.melevsreef.com/sump.html
    I think it would be a lot better than drilling the tank as far as leaks go. If the weir leaks, replace it, if your tank starts leaking, your done for.
    Anyway, back to the budget.
    how much for rock and sand estimate? Do you think play sand would cut it for a base to add live sand to? I was thinking about going 4" deep and using some colored sand in the front and top layer, probably black or white. But I could add colored sand later.
    Do you think I would need a power head? I figured if I got a strong enough return pump and a few fittings they would do the same job.
    Anything else I'm forgetting about?
    I was thinking about throwing a small live lobster from the grocery store in the tank along with some shrimp for him to eat or decay to cycle the tank. that way when the tank is cycled I'll eat him!! :twisted: or feed him to my girlfriend

Dan

CR Member

I think I may have been wrong on the skimmer price. Maybe $200 is more in the neighborhood for that.

Dan

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

I like your thinkin... I love lobster and you can really get him plump and ready for a good meal!!! As far as your items... go for it. Lighting should be about at a beginning of 3 watts per gallon(50%act/50% 6,500k-10,000k). Everything looks good. The main element here is extreme patience. With a DSB, the demand on LR will be less(maybe around 1 lb for every 2-4 actual water gallons). I advise an extra power head or 2 in the system toi begin with to keep as much yuck in the system suspended in the water column and available for the skimmer. As for the sand... oolithic, southdown, aragonite, etc.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

Sea clone 150 skimmer about $90 on eBay with shipping
    I have never heard anything good about the Sea Clones may want to look around some before diving in on that one. Stay away from the Red Sea Skimmers too. I had one and what a piece of junk.

I was looking at a mag 700 return pump = about $70 on eBay with shipping
    Good pump but seems kind of high in price. Maybe check Marine Depot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last