[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Acrylic tank wipe down?

Bookmark and Share

Default Acrylic tank wipe down?

Hey gang,
    Well I got the sand and rocks in my new acrylic tank. I thought the water was still cloudy from the sand storm, but after I bumped into the inside of the tank with my hand a few times I see that there is actually a layer of dust (from the sand storm) on the inside of the glass. How do I get this off without scratching my new baby!?! I thought about just using my hand, but it would take forever, and I would probably miss spots.
    I also want to know what I can use on the outside of the tank to clean off water spots/ finger prints. I DON'T WANT ANY SCRATCHES! Any advice on how to clean the inside and outside of this tank would be great. Thanks, DIRT
    ...I think my fish just farted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Our little corner of the www.
    My Space on Myspace.com
    My Mountain Bike Team

chrisl1 - Reefkeeper CR Member

I dont have one, but I did find this info.
    Acrylic Aquarium Maintenance

Acrylic aquariums are attractive because of their unique properties; clarity, strength, and versatility. However, they do require special care during cleaning.

Support

ALWAYS use a solid surface to support your acrylic aquarium. Use of a perimeter support stand will lead to sagging and undue pressure on the seams. Use of a perimeter stand will void your Tenecor Warranty.

Cleaners

DO NOT use any product which contains AMMONIA, ALCOHOL, or ABRASIVES, such as Windex, Comet, Ajax, or other commercial cleaners when cleaning an acrylic aquarium. Use of such cleaners will cause the acrylic to permanently lose it's clarity. A soft cloth and water, or a polish made specifically for acrylic, should be used for cleaning.

DO NOT expose acrylic to paints, varnishes, turpentine, or their fumes. Exposure to these chemicals will cause crazing and loss of clarity.

For regular maintenance Tenecor recommends cleaners that are specifically designed for acrylic, such as Novus® and Plexus®. Many other cleaners contain chemicals which will penetrate the pores in acrylic and cause damage which shows as fine lines or haziness. Plexus® aids in the removal of fine scratches and abrasions and will actually help protect the acrylic from accidental exposure to harmful chemicals.

Cleaning Aquariums With Bleach

On occasions where a complete cleaning is required, such as a change from saltwater to freshwater or after prolonged storage, the use of chlorine bleach can be very effective. A half gallon of bleach mixed with 20 gallons of water or more is great for sterilization and is perfectly safe for acrylic.

Polishing Clothes & Sponges

Acrylic should always be cleaned with a good quality soft cloth. Special polishing clothes are available from Tenecor and are the best guarantee of a lasting finish. As a substitute, a soft cotton cloth or high grade paper towel can be used occasionally. DO NOT use commercial grade paper towels or newsprint.

DO NOT use coarse sponges or pads to clean acrylic aquariums. If you do use a sponge or pad, make sure it's designed for use with acrylic aquariums.

Removing Calcareous Algae and Diatoms

Some aquarium growths, such as calcareous algae and diatoms, are very hard and can be difficult to remove with standard cleaning pads. Simply use a plastic card such as a credit card, drivers license, or plastic putty knife to scrape growths from the acrylic. Using the edge will transfer more pressure to the growth, reducing the work, and because the card is still relatively soft it won't damage the acrylic. Several scrapers designed specifically for use with acrylic aquariums are now commercially available.

from tenecor~

MagFloat brand makes an acrylic safe scraper. I use them in my kids' 3 gallon acrylic tanks, and they work great. Also, many of the commercial scrapers on handles have glass and acrylic versions, with the difference visible in the color of the pads (ex. blue vs. white). For the outside, you could use a cotton baby washcloth moistened with plain water, or you could try one of the specialty cloths (like chris's post mentioned), and I imagine you could find one at Wally World or another store fairly easily. Just as an example, Bed Bath and Beyond sells an assortment of cloths for a variety of surfaces. I bought a special cloth to clean our computer screens, plus I get 20% off and $5 off coupons in the mail from them all the time. Just some thoughts... Good luck T!