[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Adding Sand After Water

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default Adding Sand After Water

Im setting up a new tank and I just cleaned out the whole tank and have been adding as much RO/DI water as I can make each day. I broke a valve on my unit twice now tightening it to hard thats why its taking so long to fill this 180 gallon. Once its pretty full I plan to mix the sand and nutrients in tank for a whole day then add my live sand and re set up my sump fuge. The tanks almost there.

Does anyone have input on the best way to do this? I would appreciate your tips.

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

Another way is to use a piece of 1.5" or 2" PVC or ABS pipe with a funnel trimmed and taped to the top so you can place the pipe right on the bottom and pour the damp or wet sand in and it does not cause much cloudiness. I have ued this method many times with both dry unrinsed sand for a 5-6" DSB and a shallow sandbed. If its a fully functioning DSB and new sand I never rinse it as its the fines that support the most colonizing bacteria.

CR Member

Both great ideas. Yea I bought carib sea live direct live sand it says no rinsing.