[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Advice on 125G FOWLR build

Bookmark and Share
Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Nano-Newb1983 View Post
    my tank can be drilled, but not on the bottom.

I got a buddy that can drill it for me. SO to have internal overflow i just need to drill back and not bottom?

thanks again everyone for the help so far. I really do love this place
    Yes, just the back. 1 for intake and 1 for return.

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    i totally disagree canister filters are junk
    Care to elaborate on your reasoning? What your opinion is based on to better clarify for the OP Experiences good and bad would help.
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    First notice that I will NOT say: "You Should Have". Whether it's FW or SW fish poop is fish poop and a sump and skimmer is NOT the only way to remove the nutrients from a FOWLR tank. If it was, a lot of suppliers would be out of business.
    yes fish poop is fish poop but compare a clownfish poop to tang poop, which is gonna create more ammonia or the need to export it? probably the bigger fish. A canister filter will work OK on a normally stocked tank but he's gonna be stocking his tank on the heavier side.

I'm merely suggesting an easier way to maintain your system without all (what I call) hassle. Hassle (if only to me who likes to keep it as simple as possible) that is totally unnecessary. Requires less space if space is an issue (and even if its not) Less water needed. Less to worry about. IMO much easier to maintain. Offers a wider verity of uses both biological and chemical. Good husbandry is also the key here. Proper timely water changes on a well stocked fish only tank is a must no matter what your using for filtration
    I would like to clear up the misconception that having a sump is a hassel. I've had bother a canister filter and a sump and i will never use a canister filter again. In my opinion sumps are the easiest to maintain. If you research and set up the sump the correct way, all you will have to do is empty your skimmer cup every week. Maybe once a month or everywater change clean your return pump. If thats a hassel...than this is the wrong hobby to be in.

Can canister filters be useful and work? Sure... but they require the same amount of maintenance as a sump does, sometimes more. When i had my canister filters there were times i had to clean the entire thing every couple of days.

Having said all this IMO it comes down to what is best for your fish and you. What's best for your fish can be had by several different methods period. What's best for you only you can say Good luck and have fun!
    have you ever used a sump?

---------------

Most of the time fish die from disease because of poor water quality. Can a canister do the job? Sure, if maintained correctly. You want to be able to provide the best water quality possible for your fish to live in.

say you live in a area that has a lot of air pollution, you'd wanna make sure your family has the best air quality available to them and you'd want do whatever it takes to get that for them.

Nano-Newb1983 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Mark

ok i think im going for a sump lol. i would feel safer going that way

So if i were to use a 40long would that be ok? and how would i do about seening how to put baffels in? and would a small fuge work in sump too?

if i go with the over flow kit listed earlier. what would be a good return pump? also looking for advise on the skimmer

thanks again

bluwc - Reefkeeper CR Member

So if i were to use a 40long would that be ok? and how would i do about seening how to put baffels in? and would a small fuge work in sump too?

if i go with the over flow kit listed earlier. what would be a good return pump? also looking for advise on the skimmer

thanks again
    I agree with Russ & Bill on this one. Sump is the way to go. I understand corals produce a very small bioload but the heavy bioload people talk about are from fish...period. I would be more apt to run a junk canister filter on a reef only tank vs a FOWLR tank. Those are going to be some big fish and a big bioload. Why wouldn't you want a big skimmer to clean it up? HOB skimmers are junk too.....it's so much easier with a sump to not only hide the equipment, but more water cycling through the system, chaeto to help with nutriants. I don;t understand how you can get that from a canister filter.

Canister filter/hob skimmer=junk imo =0)

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

thanks again
    40 long would work. if there is a petco by you, you should hit them up they have a 1$ a gallon sale on tanks.
    make sure that you would be able to fit in your stand , though im sure you wouldn't have an issue with it.

i'd google how to put baffles in a sump, its easy to do.

as far as pumps i'd recommend a quiteone 4000, though otheres might have advice as i've only used quiteones, i have a 4000 and 3000 in my system.

skimmers, i'd look at reef octopus. CV-OCT-NWB-200 Premium Aquatics - CV-OCT-NWB-200 Aquarium Supplies
    keep an eye out for used ones, used skimmer preform just as good as new ones.

If you want Mark, you can go buy the sump tank and have a glass company cut your baffles for you. You bring all your material with you the meeting this Sunday and we can do a "how to build a sump" class.

First Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by EMUreef View Post
    40 long would work. if there is a petco by you, you should hit them up they have a 1$ a gallon sale on tanks.
    make sure that you would be able to fit in your stand , though im sure you wouldn't have an issue with it.

i'd google how to put baffles in a sump, its easy to do.

as far as pumps i'd recommend a quiteone 4000, though otheres might have advice as i've only used quiteones, i have a 4000 and 3000 in my system.

skimmers, i'd look at reef octopus. CV-OCT-NWB-200 Premium Aquatics - CV-OCT-NWB-200 Aquarium Supplies
    keep an eye out for used ones, used skimmer preform just as good as new ones.
    cool i was just looking at that skimmer, i think im going to go with it

Now that link above you posted with with overflow, is that that size i should get? and would i need 2 holes for intake? then just one for return?

i will keep the quietone pumps in mind

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bluwc View Post
    If you want Mark, you can go buy the sump tank and have a glass company cut your baffles for you. You bring all your material with you the meeting this Sunday and we can do a "how to build a sump" class.
    i prolly wouldnt have tank by then. we can for sure do it at the meeting next time. Can demo drilling my tank too by then lol

I have a quietone on my cube mark, its a nice pump. You will need a bigger one than me, but I only have a 20g sump with about a 700gph going through it.

---------- Post added at 11:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 AM ----------

You should get the tank before next weekend....the sale only lasts until the 17th or 18th....petco $1 a gl sale.

First Name
    Mark

where you get yours from? i will look online for them

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

cool i was just looking at that skimmer, i think im going to go with it

Now that link above you posted with with overflow, is that that size i should get? and would i need 2 holes for intake? then just one for return?

i will keep the quietone pumps in mind

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

i prolly wouldnt have tank by then. we can for sure do it at the meeting next time. Can demo drilling my tank too by then lol
    The way its setup, the 2 wholes for the overflow are used for the drain.
    Here's a link to my buddies tank, in the first post you can see how he set his up and how i would recommend you doing yours, but maybe 2 returns, one in each corner.

my 34G Cube Build

dont go with teh one i showed you, thats way to much lol

1500 gph complete kit - Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff

Page 3 of 4 First 1 2 3 4 Last