[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

advice

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    redemer123 - Reefkeeper
    Graphic Designer

First Name
    Andrew

Talking advice

im a beginner looking for some help i welcome your advice

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

A few good reads to start with are the sticky threads in this forum. They are the top 3-4 threads in the list.

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by redemer123 View Post
    im a beginner looking for some help i welcome your advice
    Alright well since this is going to be your first SW tank....

One thing i need you to answer.

1. What kinda of saltware aquarium do you want to have a Fish only with live rock, which means no coral just sweet fish? Or do you want an aquarium that has coral in it?

You mentioned that you want to get a 50g tank, its a good idea to start something bigger like that as the more water volume the better.

Saltwater is all about taking it slow and making the right choices. Going at this hobby fast and adding things fast only ends up in a big waste of money.

I would take some advice from a local fish store of LFS, than come back here and tell us what you learned so we can correct anything. Sometimes they give you advice only so they can sell sell sell.

Learn as much as you can before you start a tank, heck even go out and buy a few saltwater aquarium books to help you out.

Now more questions?

redemer123 - Reefkeeper
    Graphic Designer

First Name
    Andrew

ok well i figured it would probably be best to start off with a Fish only tank for a while to see if i can sucessfully keep a fish alive...and also if i find a 1$/gallon fish tank sale i will get the biggest tank possible

redemer123 - Reefkeeper
    Graphic Designer

First Name
    Andrew

thanks for the help jim....is there a way to friend people or something on this forum so im able to find you in the future?

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

+ to reading the first few posts in the new reefer area! Great base info there to help ya understand the rest as you grow and learn in the hobbie.

Frank143 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Chris

Books and forum threads are what got me started.

jimsflies - Reefkeeper
    Admin/Founder

First Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by redemer123 View Post
    thanks for the help jim....is there a way to friend people or something on this forum so im able to find you in the future?
    No problem. Yes, there is a buddy list. I will add you to mine which should send you an friend request.

To add other peeps, the easiest way is to click on their name in the post (next to their avatar). There is an option to add to contacts in the pull down menu.

XSiVE - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Ryan
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Research your fish selection
    take your time
    plan order of fish addition
    take your time
    research & plan filtration needs, advisable to go larger than what you think you will need.
    take your time
    research & plan your lighting needs, don't go midway between what you think you need & what you think you might upgrade to in the future, just go minimal for what you need and spend the least amount of money or go straight to the upgrade that you will want down the line, spending less $$ overall.
    take your time
    take your time
    take your time.

All good advice so far.
    #1 Take your time. If you are researching your project you already have a project. You will only regret rushing into purchases. This can be difficult. Most veteran reefers have tons of worthless ineffective equipment laying around because the rushed, purchased, and replaced. This hobby can be expensive but for the most part you get what you pay for. If it takes a bit longer to get a quality piece of equipment you can spend the time researching. Buy once. Nothing GOOD happens fast in this hobby. If you think there is any possibility that you may want to keep corals in the future I would only add "reef safe" fish. Many of the beautiful fish kept in fish only tanks will eat coral. Once you have a tank full of these fish it can be difficult or impossible to remove them in the event you choose to add coral.

I added you to my buddy list so feel free to contact me with any questions. You have come to the right place. There are many of us here who are more than willing to help you get a successful tank going.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last