[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

aiptasia treatment???

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Default aiptasia treatment???

What is the best treatment for aiptasa ? I have a 60 gallon with goby, yellow tang 2 ocellaris, green chromis, multiple snails, and hermit crabs with different coral and anenome? Will peppermint shrimp destroy the crustaceans? Will chemicals be too strong?

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

you can try peppermint shrimp but they are hit and miss. if the tank is well fed then the peps will eat the food. I would get some vinegar and boiling water and inject them with a syringe for starters. you can use pickeling lime too if its available. and kalkawasser works awesome!!! mix it into a paste and coat the aptasia with it and it melts them away. but the sooner youget started the better, these suckers grow quick
    fulltankshot 1 - aiptasia treatment???

Thanks for the info. I have many of them. While waiting for an answer on this site, I read some info on berghia slugs. Have you ever heard of them?

CR Member

I would try Peppermint Shrimp first, I have had good results with using them.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

berghia are good but they strictly eat aptaisia, and they are very blind and slow eaters, what usually happens is that they do a good job when the aptasia is plentiful but as it starts to thin out they literally starve to death while seeking out another aptasia to feed on. in a small tank they do well but in anything over 20 gallons they will work in a very limited capacity. that and they do not ship well at all.

You can also try a copperbanded butterfly fish, I had one of those and he wiped the tank out in literally 2 weeks. but your tanks biolode is almost capped I would try kalkawasser or an injectable solution. you can get joes juice too which is literally kalkawasser paste.
    fulltankshot 1 - aiptasia treatment???

Thanks you gave me a lot of options :D

Whoyah - Reefkeeper CR Member

I have used the kalkwasser method before. It works very well. I actually used pickling lime (same stuff). You can pick up a giant can of Mrs Wage's Pickling Lime in the canning section of most Wal Marts for just a couple bucks. Mix with water for a thick paste and squirt on to the aptasia. Make sure to pile it on, covering the thing. The paste will disolve over the next week.

ANother option is to pull the infected rock out and go to work with an ice pick/screw driver. Make sure to complete blast the area leaving a sizable crater. Rince and return the rock to the tank.

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

Grapphix has ya covered on the how to's! They are the weeds of salt water reefing, so be consistent with the little buggers! I noticed a few in the 180G, and also in my 20G soon to be seahorse tank. I have a small Rubbermaid of kalkwasser made up for just those times! It will harden over time in the bowl, but just add a little water and loosen it back up to the right consistency. I like it to be similar to toothpaste...maybe a bit thicker. If they're in a hard place to reachable, make the paste into a super thick consistency, roll it into a ball to stick it into the hole it dwells...making sure to cover the entire beast! Snare 'em when ya see 'em, but please don't share 'em Good Luck!
    ~Ange! ~
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

kui loach

You can use the suggestions above but there's an easier way. graphixx22 mentioned it, Joe's Juice.

But, graphixx22, it's not, "literally kalkawasser paste". Aptasia retract into their hole when you use Kalkwasser and you have to inject it into the Aptasia. With Joe's Juice you feed it to the anemone and in minutes it's dead.

I use it successfully and have dozens of satisfied customers who use it. Here's a link to Joe's Juice.
    Amphibious

If ignorance is BLISS, why are there so many miserable people in the world???

Our web site, The Cultured Reef

pettee86 - Reefkeeper CR Member

I've used Joe's Juice on Majanos and it knocked them out in minutes and haven't returned. Had about seven in my tank.
    Got reef?
    CIMG2683 - aiptasia treatment???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last