[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

algae

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    petercar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    larry

Quote Originally Posted by MizTanks View Post
    Bottled water still doesn't mean it's good water. Find out how they are filtering it if you can. Most water companies use only ro filtration. Which still leaves you with possible phosphates.

Also what and how are you feeding your stock? What is your lighting schedule? These are all contributing factors in algae growth. Check you Nitrate levels.

Just so ya know I've been keeping SW for just a little over 2yrs. The tank I have running now is just shy of 6 months old and still considered very new. I just got done with a battle of turf algae and before that it was major diatoms. I'm sharing what I've learned from others here and from personal experience with the same issues you are now having. Be patient with yourself and especially your tank. Nothing good will come from a quick fix.
    what is the best bottle of water to get anyway?.....when we started the tank we where using tap water but its city water i was thinking of updating the filter we also have a 70 powerhead

First Name
    larry

what is the best place to go buy the right water? i see some fish stores have waterbottles from meijers..when we started the tank we where using tap water from the citys waterlines i was thinking of updating our filter so whats the best ? no sump tho

First Name
    larry

Quote Originally Posted by jimsflies View Post
    The generic answer is to run some phosphate remover. Even if you don't have detectable levels of phosphate, the fact you have algae growing likely means you have some phosphates in there.

How old is your tank and how many fish? Do you feed a lot?
    where do i get the phospate remover?....we have algaefix from API

redemer123 - Reefkeeper
    Graphic Designer

First Name
    Andrew

An RO/DI unit would probably save you in the long run on bottled water and you'd get 0 TDS (total dissolved solids), why dont you want a sump? A sump would be a good place for your skimmer and a reactor with GFO or (granular ferric oxide) which you can run 24-7 to remove any phosphates you may have. algae fix and chem pure I think count as "quick fixes", not sure, in the case that they are they would just be a band aid to your solution and the algae would likely just come back after you stop using it.
    It takes a long long time to build a coral reef. Step by step the reefs survive on partnerships. And the most important partners are you and I.

First Name
    larry

We live in a 10 th floor apt building we Are trying to get options. If there is a better way to filter without a sump. Everyone in the tank is happy. Besides some diatoms. Water changes are no problem. We buy bulk water for company at 2 bucks a 5 gallon bottle so is there like any ideas ?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

My ro/di unit attaches right to my kitchen tap. You can get a simple 3 stage unit for under $150. Here's a few links to check out.

www.bulkreefsupplys.com

www.filtersdirect.com

IPhone+Tapatalk=I don't miss a thing!
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2