[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Algae anyone?

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... Last
    MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

Default Algae anyone?

It's taking over my tank. Little tufts of it popping up daily. I no longer know what kind it is, I don't care at this point. It's ruining my tank, ruining my attitude toward my tank. I mean ruining it to the point of feeling like giving it up. All my hard work, undone by some algae.
    There's just sooooo many opinions out here! Do this do that, get this, get that. Are you doing this or that? I'm so frustrated that I am crying!!! So much hard work. I'm actually finding reasons to leave the house so I don't have to look at the tank. When I do look, I'm only seeing the freaking algae! Not the beautiful fishes I now have, not the beautiful zoa's I now have (except for the last batch) and not the fact that my peppermint shrimp molts at least twice a month. My porclin crab is thriving and growing, I'm getting coraline algae everywhere and not just the top of the heater anymore. One of my turbo snails has died. Found the empty shell and the door but nothing else. Where did it go, over night? I learned that adding a new piece of LR and some new sand to the tank would cause a small diatom bloom, hello! Why do some people say pick out the algae, and others say never put your hand in the tank? I sit here at this sight, looking at all the big beautiful tanks and compare! Yes I do compare mine to others. Mine never looks bright enough or colorful enough. I'm so frustrated! How do I get rid of the algae?????
    There's nothing like being a Reefer! www.upmmas.com

Sir Patrick - Reefkeeper A2 Club Coordinator
    First Name
    Chris
    Awards Monthly Giveaway Winner

Hang in there. We have all gone through the algea battle at least once in the time we have been in the hobbie. Just another negative aspect that needs to be overcome.

I here ya on all the different methods of overcoming algea. There are many for many different reasons.

Best advice I can offer is get to the bottom of the cause of the algea. There are many differnt causes, just need to figure it out.

Lets start here-

Did you use dry rock?
    Is the rock you used bound up by nutrients?
    Do you have PO4 in the tank? What levels?
    How old is the tank?
    What kind of sandbed?
    How old are your light bulbs?
    Are you using RO water? DI?

There is a different route to solve your algea issues asociated with all these questions, just have to figure out the underlying cause of the algea.

Hang in there- algea can be overcome! Been there (a couple times) and its no fun till its over...

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie
    Awards Photo of the Month - October 2012 Photo of the Month Post and Reply Award - Winner of the first PAR Contest. Monthly Giveaway Winner

No dried rock. LR from the LFS.
    API test of PO4 reads 0, but I'm told those arnt alway accurate.
    The tank will be 5 months on the 11th.
    I started the tank with 20lbs of baged LS
    Bulbs are as old as the tank 5months.
    Yes I'm using RO/DI UV steralized Culligan Water system from Wal-Mart.
    I have an 16oz bag of Chemipure Elite in 2nd chamber along with LR rubble, maybe I should switch it to chamber #1?

First Name
    Chris

Bulbs are good, chemi pure elite is great stuff, no dry rock, Fresh sand, this all sounds good!

Tank is still young- Shouldnt be an issue, unless you started the tank with tap water/faulty ro water.

Is the culigan water you are using the self searve dispencer at the store? The one that you fill the jug yourself? Either way, mix up an adaquatly aged batch of new saltwater, and test the po4 of it and also test the TDS of the fresh water you are getting from the store, just to be sure. I got this stuff at meijer a few years ago, and it wasnt as great as it was said to be.

Your API test kit isnt terible at po4 readings, just not extreamly acurate. If its reading unreadable levels, I would figure you have some, but very low levels- unless you are running some additives/equipment to get 0 levels of po4.

Its a good idea to test your po4 in the tank, and in your newly made water change water both. Somtimes the po4 can be used up in your tank to give you a false low level in the water.

I have a feeling the algea is only growing on the rock (and possibly equipment) but not the sand and tank glass? If this is the case, the algea is probly getting nutrients from your rock. When buying new rock, its impossible to know what exactly you are getting. If this rock came from a poorly maintaned tank (possibly traded in for store credit) it could be bound up by nutrients- feeding algea growth)

There are 2 ways to help this-

The least likely method, since your tank is set up and running, is to "cook" the rock, by the book, to release bound up nutrients in your rock.

The second method is- keep up on your water changes, chemipure elite, and ro water/tank maintanance, and add a phos reactor. It wil slowly leach the po4 out of your rocks, slowly over time and help prevent the algea from getting worse. A phos reactor is a great peice of preventative equipment to have, and can be found cheap these days.

Other than a possibility of your store baught water not being as good as it could and the possibility of your live rock being saturated/bound by nutrients, I dont see any other causes. Looks like everything else you are doing is exactly what you should be.

Let me know what you think, and if you have any more questions/need more advice, let me know-

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

I think your right on! It is only on the LR and only the LR I got from the LFS. I'm not at all familiar with a phos reactor. Is there such a one for a tank my size? The water I get is exactly as you described. Only I get it from Wal-Mart. But yes, I did start the tank with tap, back when I didn't know any better. I've been using ro/di for more then 3 months now.
    I want to thank you for your explaination! Percise and to the point, specially for this newb to understand. I feel a little hope coming on!!! Thank you again!

First Name
    Chris

Any time, always glad to help.

A phos reactor is a very simple peice of equipment. Just has a name that makes you think it should have blinking lights and steam involved. Whenever I want to sound smart at work when talking to non reefers, I bring up phos reactors and granular feric oxide.

There are many brands out there. Check out the 2 little fishies reactor, and you will understand how little there is to them.

They can be used on any size tank, just smaller tanks will need to be filled with less po4 media than a larger tank.

Good luck with the algea, and test your store baught water, just in case.

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

As I have the Oceanic Biocube, I don't see how I would be able to use that reactor. My tank is an all in one. Anyone know how I may be able to make one for this tank?

MizTanks - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Jamie

Ok peps, still having algae issues here! Actually it's showing up more en more.
    Here's what I've done since I started this post.

I've removed the LR rubble from chamber #2 and 2 days ago added a small micron bag of Kent Phosphate Sponge.

Chamber #1 has filter pad and a small bag of carbon.

Now I'm doing 2x weekly WC at 1g per.

I'm wondering if it is the water I'm using. Maybe it's time to buy a new container? I've heard that these plastic containers can leach TDS, is this correct?

I can't put any sort of live stock into the tank, it's maxed now. I've got a couple of Star snails that are doing nothing and I mean nothing. They barely move

It's no longer Bryopsis, no fronds. Pulling is off is almost impossible as it's very slimy and deep rooted. I'm beginning to think I may need to go chemical....

whitetiger61 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Rick

Miz
    I wouldnt go chemical yet.I would try getting your water somewhere else.. As Patrick says i thinks it one of 2 things.. Your water or your live rock.. Excessive nutrients in your live rock and algae will eat it up..I had this problem a couple months ago and its very fustrating.. your right its hard to pick off the rock..i was trying o use long tweezers but couldnt get ahold of it.the i found out if i uses my fingers..grabbed a clump of it and twisted a little..it came off the rock..my rock is still a little green where it was but the coraline is starting to take over.. try not to get to fustrated and time will show you your hard work hasnt been invane..

Rick

Rabidgoose - Reefkeeper Moderator

Awards Yugo Award Photo of the Month

As Rick said I wouldn't do chems yet either.(oooh..flashback) Problem solving is a big part of the hobby IMO. That said I have a couple questions if you don't mind....

Do you have a skimmer?
    You say your maxed out on livestock...what do you have in there?
    Have you tested your nitrates? (lazy snails)
    What is your feeding regimen?

Try not to get discouraged. This can be fixed, it's all about import/export
    I simply can't trust people that don't like bacon,

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... Last