[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Algae Help

Bookmark and Share
Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last
    adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

If you wiped it down after rinsing there shouldn't be enough there to really cause a problem, if there was a little bit the dinos will eat it up and then die off. If they stick around, then there's something still contributing enough for them to survive, which could be coming from things like frozen foods, decaying food left in the tank, etc.

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by ETBReefer05 View Post
    My aquarium water is store bought RO/DI (either from the grocery store of LFS depending on which is handier). I don't know about the grocery store, but I trust the LFS since the employees use that water for their livestock as well. the only way I could have introduced bad water into the tank is A) Previous owner used tap water for freshwater tank and I didn't use a vinegar bath...just rinsed with more tap water then the residue introduced pollutants. B) I rinsed some of my equipment with tapwater when I got it out of the boxes brand new.
    Xsive i know i was just giving more points too! i like to learn a lot and looked into it when you said that. It could be a reasonable explanation as well.

Rinsing your stuff in tap water i dont see causing it and issue, its such a little amount that i dont see it effecting your set up.

Do you have any metal of any sort in your actual water volume that could be rusting?

My cause of my dino's was rusting magnet and the bloom was intense, took the magnet out, blacked out the tank and got a phosphate obsorbing pad that helped a bit.

Interesting fact that you may or may not know----

When algae has bubbles in it like yours that means its a photosynthetic, its releasing oxygen.

ETBReefer05 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EMUreef View Post
    Xsive i know i was just giving more points too! i like to learn a lot and looked into it when you said that. It could be a reasonable explanation as well.

Rinsing your stuff in tap water i dont see causing it and issue, its such a little amount that i dont see it effecting your set up.

Do you have any metal of any sort in your actual water volume that could be rusting?

My cause of my dino's was rusting magnet and the bloom was intense, took the magnet out, blacked out the tank and got a phosphate obsorbing pad that helped a bit.

Interesting fact that you may or may not know----

When algae has bubbles in it like yours that means its a photosynthetic, its releasing oxygen.
    Well, its definitely food from overfeeding. I have two fish for now and on several occasions, my Coral Beauty just simply wouldn't eat the pellet food I fed and so none of it got eaten, and I've also squeezed too much Arcti-pods in no occasion. I'm still new gimme a break haha. I really don't know what do about removing uneaten foods, but I know there HAS to be a way or else we'd all have massive blooms. As for metal, my magfloat is pretty much 3 weeks old so I don't think that could be the problem and there are no other known metals in my tank.

For now I'm just gonna get my skimmer running, scrub the algae off the rocks and go lights out for the weekend.
    "You're gonna need a bigger boat..."-Roy Scheider as "Chief Brody" in "Jaws"

Ask 10 Reefers a question and you'll get 12 opinions in return.

---ETBReefer05

cg5071 - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    chris

I have the same stuff. Be carefull "scrubbing" rocks as now i have a really thick mat of it from that, I believe. I found it is better to let it get longer and pull it by hand. It really is a pain. Things that helped are less feeding, lower light, and chemi-clean. Also now my older tank has a higher alk It also doesnt grow as well as in my newer one with alk of 9 compaired to 11, only on the glass and non rock stuff.

I was hoping to battle it but it is winning,lol so I am cutting back my light a couple of hours.

Support the non-profit Reef Stewardship Foundation with the iSearchiGive.com search engine, donate a penny with EVERY search. Find out more information by following this link to the RSF iSearchiGive.com search program.

First Name
    Eric

Well, after a 3 day blackout, all of the Dino is either gone or not showing bubbles from Photosynthesis. Ran lights 4 hours today and there is a patch on my sand bed that showed some life. Going to buy more CUC tonight to counteract the issue.

---ETBReefer05

rmalone - Reefkeeper CR Member

Cuc wont eat the dinos in my experience. Your on the right track, now you need to starve it out. No excess feeding of fish, get that skimmer operational, and start running some gfo to eliminate excess phosphates.

IF AND ONLY IF you have a good skimmer you could also start dosing bacteria and vodka or sugar or vinegar or a combination. DO NOT do this without a whole lot of reading and keep in mind that "more is better" does not apply to this technique of nutrient management. Personally I dont think its that risky but it does require some knowledge and a step by step approach. You cant just pour a bit in and hope for the best. But it does work.

adalius - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by rmalone View Post
    Cuc wont eat the dinos in my experience.
    Just to chime in on that, most dinos are actually poisonous to a lot of our common CUC members. They know enough to avoid it, but that's *why* they avoid it.

However adding more CUC isn't a horrible idea as they will continue to do their job eating other things before they break down into nutrients that the dinos could use as fuel. There is a diminishing return on adding CUCs though.

First Name
    Eric

Basically, the CUC was more for the root of the problem, which was the excess nutrients from the fish food I overfed. Right now I have 6 Ceriths, 1 Turbo, 2 astreas, and 1 hermit, so I kind of feel like I am on the low side of needed CUC numbers. Any thoughts on adding more CUC are appreciated.

---ETBReefer05

EMUreef - Reefkeeper
    IT Guru

Awards March Madness Award - 2013 March Madness Winner Photo of the Month Fishbowl Drawing Winner

Quote Originally Posted by ETBReefer05 View Post
    Basically, the CUC was more for the root of the problem, which was the excess nutrients from the fish food I overfed. Right now I have 6 Ceriths, 1 Turbo, 2 astreas, and 1 hermit, so I kind of feel like I am on the low side of needed CUC numbers. Any thoughts on adding more CUC are appreciated.
    well you know my thoughts, Nass snails i would tell you to prefer over anything else, or just get some blue legged hermits, anything that eats the excess food.

Basically all you got right now eating excess food is 1 hermit crab lol, the snails might but hermits are always scavenging

AZDesertRat - Reefkeeper
    Subject Matter Expert
    Water Treatment

Ask your LFS to pull out the ol' TDS meter and test the water in front of you before buying your next batch. never assume anything. If it is RO/DI and shows any signs of TDS then you may consider buying a RO/DI unit. The grocery does not usually have RO/DI so distilled would be the next best choice, lots of times bottled RO is higher in TDS since it does not include deionization and some are even remineralized afte treatment to make it taste better. Again without a TDS meter you just don't know.

Page 2 of 3 First 1 2 3 Last