[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Algae problems.

Bookmark and Share
    CR Member

Default Algae problems.

I have had my tank set up for a few months now and algae keeps getting worse and worse. one type of algae will bloom and cover the tank and in a couple days a different type of algae will take over. I'm not sure what the problem is or how to deal with it.

tank:
    65g breeder
    20g sump
    euro-reef cs6-1 skimmer
    koralia 1050 and 750 powerheads
    6x 39w t5, 3 actinic, 3 10k on for 8 hours
    temp: 78-79 degrees F

levels:
    ammonia barely over 0
    nitrite 0
    nitrate barely over 0ppm
    pH 8.2
    phosphate barely over 0
    specific gravity 1.021

I'm not sure why there is ammonia, I havn't been keeping an extremely close eye on tests. The rest seems to be pretty good. I switched to RO water about a week ago and have been doing 5g water changes every day but algae seems like its still getting worse. I have identified almost every algae in the book inside my tank at one point or another. As of this last week i started seeing specs of light pink coralline algae growing.

heres some pics:
    024 - Algae problems.
    025 - Algae problems.

BK's Reef - Reefkeeper CR Member

you may have more nitrates in there algae can mess up the results for tests. Also have you added alot of fish at one time? that could cause ammonia to spike
    "reefing sure takes up your money...but it is the best money ive ever spent!"

http://www.captivereefs.com/forum/marine-fish/bks-90-fowlr-8632/
    ^^^90 Fowlr thread

CR Member

Quote Originally Posted by BK's Reef View Post
    you may have more nitrates in there algae can mess up the results for tests. Also have you added alot of fish at one time? that could cause ammonia to spike
    I added a small fish (2" longhorn cow) about 2 weeks ago.

DYoung - Reefkeeper CR Member

You say that you are using RO water since about a week ago? Is it RO/DI water or just straight RO? If it isn't the RO/DI, I would make the switch and do larger water changes and perhaps slightly less frequently so that you are not to shock your critters. I would suspect that perhaps it will take 2-4 weeks to clear up.

It has been my experience that using RO/DI is the key to keeping the tank happy. I also use very few addatives in my tank and they definitely keep the balance very well. Incase you're interested, I prefer to use the (all of these are seachem and powder form) Reef advantage magnesium, reef advantage calcium, reef advantage strontium, and reef advantage builder. I have not had any algae in my tanks since I went to using these addatives along with 10% WC every 4 weeks. I dose the addatives every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, except the builder, which I dose only on Tuesday and Sunday.

Also, what kind of salt are you using? I have found it best to stay away from the Instant Ocean.

Hope any of this helps.
    "Gold fish were so easy..."

CR Member

I use reef crystals right now

DYoung - Reefkeeper CR Member

What about the water? ROor RO/DI?
    "Gold fish were so easy..."

redemer123 - Reefkeeper
    Graphic Designer

First Name
    Andrew

you know, in the picture above i noticed you have your powerhead pointed up...perhaps if you point in down more it will keep the sand stirred up a little better and break up that algea
    It takes a long long time to build a coral reef. Step by step the reefs survive on partnerships. And the most important partners are you and I.

tankdude - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dean

I agree with redemer123, more flow wouldn't hurt.

Clownfish - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Queen of Xenia

Do you have any critters that eat the stuff? Snails, hermit crabs, Rabbit Fish all help keep it under control.

jolson10450 - Reefkeeper
    First Name
    Justin
    Awards Grow Out King Monthly Giveaway Winner Monthly Giveaway Winner

from the picture it looks like it could be your bulbs, how old are your bulbs on the tank? If they are over a year then your bulbs need to be replaced.

the reason your levels are mainly at zero is because the algae is eating it up so it tests undetectable, try using some microbacter to add more bacteria to eat the nitrates and phosphates before the algae does.

get some cerith snails if you do not have any, they dig in sand and they eat that most types of algae.

you can try a lights out period for 3 days, do not turn any lights on for 3 days in your tank and only feed a very tiny amount. do a 20-50% water change before you do this, start the 3 days, then before you turn your lights back on after 3 days do another 20-50% water change.

also, what type of food are you feeding? if you feed frozen foods, take a net and put the cube or food in it and run it under water to fully thaw it and drain off any excess nutrients before you add the food to your tank, this is one of the main reasons for blooms in tanks so be sure to rinse your foods before adding them to your tank! certain flake foods are the same way, cheaper brands tend to carry more phosphates and nitrates when they break down in the tank. buying higher quality foods helps prevent this. i use PE mysis and i rinse it before every feeding, i also use formula one pellets and flakes mixed and fed on opposite days and only 1 time per day.

those are my suggestions with the lights out being the last resort.