[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Alge Bloom

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    flame - Reefkeeper Registered User

Default Alge Bloom

Ok

I got a major alge bloom the past two days. Did a 10% water change tonight and began looking for the source of the problem. The basic water test are

PH=8.4, NH3=0, NO2=0,NO3=5.0.
    So I picked up a Calcium, KH, and Phosphate test.

Calcium was a little low. 300 ppm
    KH was running 200 ppm
    Phosphate 1 ppm

Looks like Phosphate is causing my main problem but some of the other water specs are off. Any suggestions how to proceed. I was buying my DI water, however starting this past week I started using a new RO/DI unit. Tested the water from the unit and no phosphate=0

The only thing in the 50gal tank is live rock, and 3 Inches of fine grain sand. Only thing that happened the power head came off the glass and made a major sand storm in the tank. Skimmer is pulling off about 2 cups of green stuff a day.

Thanks to all

Limpit - Reefkeeper CR Member

Are you using RO water? If not I would recommend looking into getting and RO filter.
    The problem may have been caused by the power head comming off and stiring everything up in the sand bed.
    Keep your skimmer going and keep doing water changes until you get things back in control.
    Happy Reefing!

Yea I just installed a new RO/DI unit and just did the first water change with that unit. I was using store DI water sure wish I would have tested that water.
    It is our responsibilities, not ourselves, that we should take seriously.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

how long has the tank been up and running? and how muchh flow do you have in the tank? you might try increasing your flow. that seems to work very well. Other than that just keep up on your waterchanges. Also how often do you feed the tank. If you over feed this can contribute to blooms as well. good luck
    fulltankshot 1 - Alge Bloom

Tank has been up for 5 weeks. LR has been in for 4 weeks. No fish or clean up crew.

graphixx - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Greg

then what your are having is quite normal in a tank cycle. Just keep up on the water changes and all should be fine.
    fulltankshot 1 - Alge Bloom

dakar - Reefkeeper CR Member
    First Name
    Dave

Are you lighting the tank? If so either stop for a bit while it cycles, or just cut back the photoperiod, that would also help.
    Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free.

Thank for the info

Blk_Lotus - Reefkeeper CR Member

#ed_op#DIV#ed_cl#Honestly, this just sounds like your first algae bloom, which is a good thing really. It generally indicates that you're ready to proceed in the process. Namely, cleaning crew time. Snails and hermits, though. . . the hermits will go all carnivorous on you if you don't keep them satisfied as far as food sources. I recommend starting out with a handful of snails. You can always add more later, but it is a good idea to get a feel for how much they'll eat compared to your algae growth rate. I was amazed at how fast four golf ball sized turbo snails ripped through my first algae bloom when I started. The turbos are really impressive, despite having the oxy moron name. =)#ed_op#/DIV#ed_cl#
    \"What desires have those who know the outcome of tomorrow?\"

Update
    Found the phosphate problem. Carbon filter that came with the Penn Plax canester filter (got to love the LFS guys advise =*worthless*) Mixed up a 8 gallon batch of SW. Took the LR out and used a 1000 gph pump as a pressure washer and removed all the brown algae. Wiped down the tank and did a 20% WC . Now lets see what happens.

This morning the Zoa looks really good and the feather duster is open so I guess I did not do to much damage with the cleaning. I found a small amount of brown algae in the side glass. This is a major improvement. The snails and the crabs may be able to keep up know as it was the tank would turn brown in 24 hours. Oh yea I did cut the lights down to 8 8hrs now and 2 hours of that time is redused lighting. Will update as the Algae fight continues.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last