[Timezone Detection]
Create Account - Join in Seconds!

User Name: Email Address:
Human Verification

Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

algea... damn algea

Bookmark and Share
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
    sirpat - Reefkeeper CR Member

Default algea... damn algea

OK, my tank is coming along, but I've got a dust like coating of algae all over the place. I've got a little hair algae, but my lawn mower blenny is taking care of that. This is what I've done so far. I've cut way back on feeding. As a matter of fact, I haven't fed the tank in over a week or more. I've reduced the amount of time that the halides are on. My lighting schedule is 10 hrs actinic and 4 hrs halide.

This stuff comes back daily. I scrap and the tank looks good for a few hours, but then it's back. When I scrap, it just swirls off into the water like dust. My skimmer is working fine and pulling out some really nasty smelling stuff, but I just can't seem to get ahead of it.

Dakar has suggested that maybe I don't have enough flow in the tank. I've got a mag 7 that's push approx 250 gph and two additional powerheads (gph unknown). Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
    75 gal w/2 250w MH & 2 110w VHO lighting

Reptoreef - Reefkeeper CR Member

In a 75... I suggest at least a 750 gph pump. In my 55, I have a 900 gph pump plus 5 powerheads on a wavemaker. Rule of thumb seems to suggest 10-20X's total tank volume per hour.
    There's nowhere else I'ld rather be... unless, of course, you're buying

Limpit - Reefkeeper CR Member

Is the tank a new setup? If so and the algae is brownish in color it is Diatom algae. I had the same problem that you are having until I installed a U.V. sterilizer on the return line, now my tank is crystal clear. I have also been told that you can just wait until it goes away but I was sick of cleaning it up all the time.

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

I understand the benefits of a UV Sterilizer, but I have also heard that while it's killing off the bad things, it's also doing the same to the good things in the tank. We have a bit of brown algae in our tank to and were going with the increased flow, watching the amount of food that is put into the tank as I've learned that over feeding can cause this as well. The beast is relatively quiet so I will be to for now!
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

CR Member

I am so glad I found this!! I was getting ready to add a sterilizer but instead I think I will get a blenny. I wanted one anyway and you just gave me good reason to! :-D Thanks

Reef_Angel - Reefkeeper CR Member

You'll love your lawnmower blenney. He will be the fish in your tank that only a mother will think is beautiful! They are so full of personality that they're charm makes up any homeliness some may think they possess. We think ours is kinda cute, but there again.....ya just have to know him. He's a hoot!! :-D As far as the sterilizer goes, I have to eat a few of my words there. We installed one when we got my beautiful sailfin because she got a case of ich and something else....black spots on her body....and the UV sterilizer took care of the problem! So far we've left it in place on the tank. It hasn't caused any problems so we just haven't taken it off. The diatom algae has lightened, but that could also be from the additional snails we put in the tank as well. It's hard to say which did the work because both were in place at about the same time. Good luck finding your new Lawnmower!
    Have a Wonderful Day on the Reef!
    :angel07:...Reef_Angel
    Owner/Administrator

**If you have a need to phone me,
    PM me and we can arrange for a chat!

~*
    Angels do a lot of things, but they will not take away your free will or the lessons you are here on earth to learn.*~

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

For diatoms it seams ether Waite and hope it gos away or you can us a Phosphate
    Sponge I used the Sponge with out problems.

In my research it seams the biggest cause of Diatoms is hi Phosphate

Their don't seam to be a good critter to eat it i tried several with out success
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

CR Member

I would just rather go ahead and get my blenny first. I love them. My friend has a medium sized one that he and his girl think is a bit on the ugly side. I have been trying to convince them to give him up to me since I think he is a little doll. I love how he always seems to be busy!! He seems always content motoring around. (BTW it's a lawnmower blenny) :D
    I go on vacation the 15th and would like to wait until I come home for a while before I go with the sterilizer. But adding something to motor around I am not against My aquarium sitter is an experienced one & knows to quarantine anything sickly looking
    and I have a separate refugium for that
    Now I am excited about a new fish again....thought it would be forever before I would be able to feel this excitement again

jerryc - Reefkeeper CR Member

I agree a blenny is a good adhesion
    I HAVE A PROBLEM' I'M ADDICTED TO MICROMUSSA

RazorBack Reef. com
    keepersofthereef.com
    http://www.captivereefing.ws/weblog.php?w=7

CR Member

why cant all fish be like a blenny so they don't eat a hole in your pockets. :notworthy:
    I\'am not afraid of life life is afraid of I, live life far and high until you die. (c) travis heffron (me)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last